SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise Article

dagies

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm allowed to be at all negative, a few things troubled me a bit. One is production down the line-up. I don't want another line of fire team. I really want Spiewak, Notermann, Hale, McMahon, Connelly, Massen and Canady to score. It's just one weekend and I'm certainly not on anyone's case, but I'd like to be more dangerous four lines deep (or at least three). The other concern right off the top of my head is 4 GA on 19 shots. I didn't see it, but it doesn't sound like great goaltending.

Tons of positives, though. What can you say about Parise? I don't know what he was thinking, being so productive. Isn't that just going to drive up the expectations?

Fylling's emergence sure is a big surprise to me, and a huge bonus for the team. It's also great for Western ND hockey.

Lundbohm had a nice weekend.

Were these the PP units? Parise, Fylling, Bochenski, Fuher and Lundbohm. Then Spiewak, Notermann, Hale, Schneider and Leinweber? Against Michigan I heard McMahon out there some, but I got mixed up a bit.

My biggest positive for the weekend is the defense. Only 19 shots allowed against a good MI team (although it is young and missing its best offensive player), and, better than the statistic, it didn't sound like they ran aroung much in their own end. Michigan's fourth goal came on a shift when the Sioux couldn't clear the zone, but that was one of the few times in the game when they got bottled up. Otherwise they seemed to move the puck up the ice pretty well.

The Sioux's second line sounded like they played well all weekend, but just didn't finish. I hope they finish more.

It sounded like Blais went with three lines down the stretch, with McMahon, Hale and Connelly on the third line. I didn't hear Palmo, Massen, and Marvin much. And is that right, did Marvin have Prpich's spot on the fourth line?

Great opening weekend. Congrats to everyone involved.

It'd be interesting to know what Blais thought of Siembida's performance. Listening to the game on the radio, it didn't sound as if he gave up any softies. I'm encouraged by the fact that neither goalie had to face a lot of shots this weekend. That could be because of improvements on defense.

At this point of the season, I'd be happy with one great scoring line (we have it) one good scoring line (it might be there), one good checking line (too early to tell) and a fourth line that can spell the other three lines now and then (also too early to tell).

But I do agree that the Sioux would be much better off with more scoring from other forwards. I am encouraged by the fact that the defensemen -- Schneider and Fuher in particular -- are already making significant scoring contributions.

And what about a come-from-behind victory on the road against a top-rated team? You have to like that. :D

jk, don't forget that sometime soon the Sioux will have Genoway and Canady back on the ice. It is possible that will really help production down the lines.

Listening to the radio it seemed to me that Siembida played a good game. 4 goals on 19 shots is concerning, but I would have liked to hear coaches on the air after the game to hear their comments one way or the other. But only 19 shots on goal? Great job, Sioux!

I did hear the 4th line mentioned late in the game. I was listening for them.

Yeah.. but dont forget that one of the goals happened on a 2-0 rush on the goalie after getting caught on a 5 man change. I doubt that will happen again this season. On the gopher board some posters are congratulating parise, but many are saying how he won't be here more than a year and that michigan isnt as good as their ranking. Looks like they are already a little concerned!!! Looking forward to the match up .... OUT!

BTW, it's just my nature to be a contrarian on the board. I was pumping my fist like Tiger Woods and jumping up and down like an XFL cheerleader (oh yeah, they didn't jump) late in the game, just like the rest of you.

(One more contrarian note: Duluth opened the year by beating Michigan last year. I like our chances to continue improving at a better rate than Duluth, though.)

On the gopher board some posters are congratulating parise, but many are saying how he won't be here more than a year...

Anyone who claims to know what Parise will do in the future after just two games is blowing smoke.

Anyone who claims to know what Parise will do in the future after just two games is blowing smoke.

That same poster is also the one that said Parise made a hasty decision to attend UND. Nothing but sour grapes. This poster didn't have Michigan as a #3 team, either, so what Parise did this weekend was a fluke. Keep believing that and it may come true. :p

It's pretty funny that there are so many experts out there that have all this 'insight' on what Parise is going to do after just two games. All of this warning from fans of other teams gives an indication that maybe the Sioux are going to be a little better this year and they are worried about that. Sounds good to me. :D

I think the Parise situation is a little different than other players who leave early. Parise grew up with the "lure" of the NHL his whole life, so i doubt that he is going to as much a hurry to leave as some other players. Also, the money thing i dont think is as much of an issue to him as some other players. Let me know what you guys think about that

It's more than a little early to guess how long Parise is going to be around after a mere 120 minutes of hockey, against Canisus and a moderately depleted Michigan team. The kid is good, very good and will develop even more over time. :D

How long he stays around depends on a lot of things, including who drafts him and where, as well as how he continues to develop in college. If he plateaus or slumps, it will affect him, especially since the 2003 draft class is projected to the one best in a decade or two, so there will be alot talent to compete against and he could easily fall to the late first-early second round. Most importantly, only Parise knows when he'll be ready to go to the next level.

If Parise were coming in at 20 or so, after some time in the USHL or a Canadian league, I'd say the odds would be greater that he might leave within 2 years. However, he's still just out of HS and has plenty of seasoning ahead of him. And I think he knows it too.

Minnesota fans should also come to grips with the fact that as Lucia recruits more stars with fewer ties to the school and state, they'll be seeing more guys leaving early too. :p

Any talk about Parise leaving is way premature. The '02-03 season has just begun and, though Parise is averaging 4 points per game over 2 games, the distraction of whether he will stay or not has very little to do with the goal at hand: Play out the season and try to get to the WCHA Championship, the Final Five, the Regionals, and then the Frozen Four.

Come on, everyone, lets stay focused on the here and now, just as Zach is, I'm sure!

BTW, whether or not he is here next season, there will be over a dozen juniors and seniors on next year's roster, many of which have excellent credentials. UND is going to be a contender.

Let's go Sioux!

Just don't worry about what Minnie fans say. THey are thick as fleas on USCHO since they won last year, and we'll hear the "parise is gone" theme every time he has a good game (weekend). Enjoy the talent, and hope he's part of a team that brings home number 8 soon.

I think the Parise situation is a little different than other players who leave early. Parise grew up with the "lure" of the NHL his whole life, so i doubt that he is going to as much a hurry to leave as some other players. Also, the money thing i dont think is as much of an issue to him as some other players. Let me know what you guys think about that

I think money is as green to him as it is to anybody else.

I like to visit your site from time to time just to see what is going on. As a gopher fan I have a lot of respect for the Sioux so here is my take on players like Parise, Vanek, etc. It only matters what they do this year. Any speculating fans do from either side is just more or less sharing ignorance on what their future plans are. Btw, Ballard had a 4 point game for the Goofs so I suppose this means that he will be gone after this year as well. :D

I'll admit I questioned 1 or 2 fans excitement about Parise on POI but so far it appears he is all they say and more. Now it makes a little more sense to me why Glen Sonmor and Lou Nanne did what they did in trying to change Parise's mind.

I predict that UND will displace CC and SCCC in the standings to finish 3rd and may well fight for UM and Denver for the top honors. Time will tell if this prediction has any truth to it.

I think the point that many haven't brought up yet is the fact that UND came back from a 4-2 deficit and won the game. To me that speaks volumns. Something UND didn't do many times last season. I hope this is the beginning of the type of Sioux teams we have seen the past, its called the killer instinct, when you get a team on the ropes go for the throat...

I am excited as heck about this past weekend. Also, I like the fact that the opposing teams might take UND lightly this season because they were down last year and relatively young this season. Also, I think with SCSU losing one game to FSU this past weekend it would be safe to assume that anyone is probably going to beat anyone this season.

I can't wait to see the UND Defense men past the oppostion into the boards.

Lastly I have made a wager with a UofM fan that UND can sweep the Gophers in MPLS this winter. Although bold, I have that much confidence in the boys I have bet a case a beer and a couple of good cigars on them...

I hope this is the beginning of the type of Sioux teams we have seen the past, its called the killer instinct, when you get a team on the ropes go for the throat...

That's a good point. How many times last season did we see the Sioux play down to their level of competition or let a lesser team back into a game? I was glad to see that after UND got up 4 goals on Canisius, they went straight for the jugular and didn't give the Griffs any reason to think they could get back in the game.

goon, i'm as optimistic as the next sioux fan but it's a little early to think a sweep of the goofs in marisucki is guaranteed! although, i will predict that we finish in the top three and will be an explosive team to deal with!!!! being the underdog should be fun this year. :D GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

Lastly I have made a wager with a UofM fan that UND can sweep the Gophers in MPLS this winter. Although bold, I have that much confidence in the boys I have bet a case a beer and a couple of good cigars on them...

I would like to confidently agree with you Goon. But after watching Minnesota dismantle Ohio St. with ease, they look like a damn deep team. My concern with our team is that we may match up well with Minnesota on the top line but I think we may be on the short end of the stick in lines 2 thru 4. :D

With all due respect to a very good MN team (that I have predicted will finish #1 in the WCHA), a friend who also watched that game thought that Ohio State looked like a D3 team out there. Certainly a good team can do that to you, but it sounded like they weren't very fast or skilled. MN will kill a team like that.

That said, I still feel MN has a deeper crop of dangerous forwards than ND. They think their defense is really good. Their defense is good offensively, but will they be as good positionally and defensively as the Sioux? That remains to be seen. Early in the season maybe you can guess whether either has the edge in goal, defensive play might go to ND, and offensive play to MN. Who will win?

I'd echo the comments on the play of Ohio State - horrible. Stood around, backed into their own end, and gave the Gophers lots of room to move the puck. The Gophs are certainly good enough to blow away any team that does that.

The game looked a lot like the Sioux/Canisius sounded, the two losing teams seldom had the puck, nor did they do a whole lot to try and get it. OSU would fit right into the MAAC, unless they change their style.

Wouldn't take either blowout as an indication of how superior either team is, other than neither team played down to their opponent's level of play.