SiouxSports.com Forum

West Illinois VS UND Homecoming week

Nodak78

54 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Not an esteemed football mind by any means...but I feel like if we think that...opposing D-Coordinators do to...then they overplay.  It's why the option call worked so well for us...we gave a look as if we were running an inside zone play, and countered back to the right on the option.  The right DE for WIU was sucked in and slipped...Tommy pitched early so he didn't have to take a hit (probably smart) and Weah trucked his way in.  The counter action fooled the defense and made them look kind of dumb.  We don't seem to run a whole lot of counter-type run plays...and maybe we need to do more of that in my woefully-uninformed opinion.

We had run that little option 1 or 2 times before this season if I recall correctly.  You are right though, it caught the defense off guard and worked.  Not sure if we should run more of it, or use it infrequent so that it does catch the D off guard and works in big situations. 

A naked bootleg by Tommy would likely work in a big situation like that since there is almost never a called running play for him.  Although if the defense ends up having a guy out there to defend it and Tommy is one on one with a Defender, it will look like a horrible call and we wonder why we didn't give it to Otis.  I would say at some point this season Danny will call a naked bootleg, and hopefully it is wide open for the first down or TD (whatever the situation). 

• Upvote 1