SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's get ... Kraken: The expansion draft game

There's not much else to do this summer, so let's guess what GM Ron Francis and HC Dave Hakstol will do.

Seattle expansion draft process: https://www.nhl.com/news/seattle-kraken-2021-nhl-expansion-draft-rules-same-as-vegas-golden-knights-followed/c-302586918 

Predict:

- So SEA will be taking 30 players (one per team minus VGK): How many of the 30 will have played at least one season of college hockey and of these how many played at UND? 

- They have to (mandatory minimum) pick 14F/9D/3G: Predict the final breakdown. 

- Today SEA has 21 normal draft picks (three years, seven rounds, for 21, see here): What'll they have after the expansion draft? (That site 24 hours after end of draft will be "answer key".) 

Tyler Johnson he's from Spokane and was on wavers 3 times 

Capitals sound like they are not happy with Evgeny Kuznetsov and his antics. If I'm Seattle, I'd tell the Capitals I'll take take Kuznetsov but you have to give us Oshie.

Nashville is looking to make deals with Seattle, so I could see Rocco Grimaldi getting taken

Kailer Yamamoto is from Spokane

Derek Ryan is from Spokane

Dylan Gambrell is from Bonney Lake

There is a chance that Forbort, Poolman, and Ladue could all be in Seattle

Vancouver is going to want Seattle to take Jake Virtanen 

If and it's a big if, Wild can get Suter and Parise to wave their NMC's and get Settle to take both players. If I'm Seattle I'd take both players but get draft picks in the deal also (2 1st's, 4 2nd's, and a 3rd).

I do like the thought of Toews in Seattle, if I'm Chicago I'd see if Toews waves his NMC to see it Seattle tries to take the cap hit 

On 7/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, cberkas said:

Buffalo wants Seattle to take Okposo

< NHL Team > wants Seattle to take < high dollar, bad contract*, on books >. 

I'm not sure SEA will take the VGK approach. VGK made a lot of "we'll take this if you also give us that" deals. VGK still has six pick beyond the normal 21 over then next three years. (And they traded some picks away in making acquisitions of some players after the expansion.) Will SEA do that? VGK got into a salary bind faster than I expected because of picking up those expensive deals to collect picks with them. I don't see SEA following that path unless it's a player they otherwise wanted. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/ <-- *Every team has at least one they'd want gone. 

On 7/12/2021 at 8:35 AM, The Sicatoka said:

< NHL Team > wants Seattle to take < high dollar, bad contract*, on books >. 

I'm not sure SEA will take the VGK approach. VGK made a lot of "we'll take this if you also give us that" deals. VGK still has six pick beyond the normal 21 over then next three years. (And they traded some picks away in making acquisitions of some players after the expansion.) Will SEA do that? VGK got into a salary bind faster than I expected because of picking up those expensive deals to collect picks with them. I don't see SEA following that path unless it's a player they otherwise wanted. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/ <-- *Every team has at least one they'd want gone. 

Speaking of Cap Friendly: Cam Johnson re-signed with the Columbus organization

Price is from Vancouver.  Much closer to home then Montreal.  I don't think the Kraken want that contract, but you never know.  

If he gets selected he's going home, if he doesn't he's the hero that saved Jake Allen.  Win win for him. 

Predict:

- So SEA will be taking 30 players (one per team minus VGK): How many of the 30 will have played at least one season of college hockey and of these how many played at UND? 6 college (2 from UND)

- They have to (mandatory minimum) pick 14F/9D/3G: Predict the final breakdown. 15F/10D/5G

- Today SEA has 21 normal draft picks (three years, seven rounds, for 21, see here): What'll they have after the expansion draft? (That site 24 hours after end of draft will be "answer key".) 27 (their 21 plus 6) 

15F/10D/5G 

Pick in bold

(!) One year left

Ducks - Hayden Fleury (!) : I can't see Henrique taken

Coyotes - Tyler Pitlick (!), Christian Fisher (!), or Michael Bunting 

Bruins -Conner Clifton or Jeremy Lauzon (!)

Sabers - Will Borgen

Flames - Oliver Kylington or Mark Giordano (!) : Giordano sound like a lock here

Hurricanes - Nino Niederreiter (!), Dougie Hamilton, or Jake Bean : Could pick up Hamilton as a free agent

Blackhawks - Ryan Carpenter (!) or Calvin De Haan (!) : De Haan could be a flip 

Avalanche - Gabriel Landeskog or Joonas Donskoi : Could go with Donskoi and sign Landeskog as a free agent

Blue Jackets -Kevin Stenlund (!) or Max Domi (!)

Stars - Jamie Oleksiak

Red Wings - Troy Stecher (!)

Oilers - Dominik Kahn or Oscar Klefbom Klefbom will be on LTIR

Panthers - Chris Driedger

Kings - Carl Grundstrom (!) or Blake Lizotte (!)

Wild - Kaapo Kahkonen (!)

Canadiens - Carey Price (possible LTIR) : If he misses part of the season he'll be on LTIR and you can get 2 goalies that can carry the load. Vegas went through about 6 goalies

Predators - Rocco Grimaldi (!), Calle Jarnkrok (!), or Ryan Johansen : I could see a deal where Seattle takes Johansen and gets Grimaldi or Jarnkrok to take that money off Nashville's cap

Devils - Will Bucher (!)

Islanders - Josh Bailey or Jordan Eberle : Could go with either one

Rangers -Colin Blackwell (!)

Senators - Joey Daccord

Flyers - Justin Braun (!) or Robert Hagg (!)

Penguins - Cody Ceci

Sharks - Dylan Gambrell (!) or Ryan Donato

Blues - Vladimir Tarasenko, Vince Dunn, or Jaden Schwartz : Take Tarasenko and flip him, but Dunn is the player to take 

Lightning - Tyler Johnson, Patrick Maroon (!), or Yanni Gourde

Maple Leafs - Alexander Kerfoot

Canucks - Mathew Highmore (!), Kole Land, or Zach MacEwen (!)

Capitals - Vitek Vanecek

Jets - Mason Appleton (!), or Dylan DeMelo 

Free Agents - Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, Drake Caggiula

Bruins - Lauzon

Sabers - Borgen

Red Wings - Cholowski

Panthers - Driedger

Canadiens - C. Fleury

Senators - Daccord

Lightning - Gourde

Maple Leafs - MaCann

Hurricanes - Geekie