SiouxSports.com Forum

Most important sport on campus

knowledge

NDSU has obviously moved football into the top spot on their list. They made their move to DI based on football and at the expense of the other sports. They are independent in other sports and without a conference their schedules look very similar to years past (maybe even weaker).

Rank the most important sports to the U of North Dakota?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDSU has obviously moved football into the top spot on their list.  They made their move to DI based on football and at the expense of the other sports.  They are independent in other sports and without a conference their schedules look very similar to years past (maybe even weaker).

Rank the most important sports to the U of North Dakota?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Moved? What was the previous #1? Football has always been #1 at SU.

At UND (and for the entire state of ND) #1 Hockey, after that I really don't care.

1. The sport with 7 NCAA national championships and that had a $104 MM arena built for it just might be #1.

2. Dale Lennon's lads.

3. WBB

4. MBB

5. Swimming and Diving (M/W)

6. Womens hockey

7. Womens volleyball

8. Other.

I'd also note that 6 and 7 are probably moving up in importance because they each have the potential to produce revenue at the gate.

To say that the entire state's favorite sport is hockey is a lie.

Fargo, GF, and Bismark have nice HS hockey teams. Other than that, the sport is non-existant.

It's such an expensive sport to play and provide facilities for that only the largest cities have hockey facilities.

The class A football tournament and the class B bball tournament prove my point.

I'd even go so far as to say wrestling, baseball, and volleyball are higher up than hockey.

Nice try.

To say that the entire state's favorite sport is hockey is a lie.

Fargo, GF, and Bismark have nice HS hockey teams. Other than that, the sport is non-existant.

It's such an expensive sport to play and provide facilities for that only the largest cities have hockey facilities.

The class A football tournament and the class B bball tournament prove my point.

I'd even go so far as to say wrestling, baseball, and volleyball are higher up than hockey.

Nice try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually according to SI it is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/...s/north_dakota/

That doesn't mean that the state says hockey is the number one sport in general.

Besides that poll was 401 people with an error or 5%!

So that negates the 19% to 13% lead taht UND Hockey has over NDSU Football.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

19 minus 13 is 6, which is more than the 5% margin of error.

Maybe it should go the other way and it is a difference of 11.

I also notice that the most hated opponent is U of Minnesota. Definitely hockey.

19-5 = 14.

13+5 = 18.

So, the state might actually like NDSU football more than UND hockey.

Who is a NDSU football fan's most hated school? UND. Obviously they aren't going to put one of the states own colleges in the "most hated" column.

Look, it was a stupid little poll in which 401 people responded. Obviously a lot of those are from GF since they obviously just called people from Fargo, GF, and Bismark.

They have no idea what the majority of the state likes or doesn't like.

19-5 = 16.

13+5 = 18.

Who is a NDSU football fan's most hated school? UND. Obviously they aren't going to put  one of the states own colleges in the "most hated" column.

Look, it was a stupid little poll in which 401 people responded. Obviously a lot of those are from GF since they obviously just called people from Fargo, GF, and Bismark.

They have no idea what the majority of the state likes or doesn't like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MAN! You guys are SO DESPERATELY clinging to a brief shining decade as a symbol of DOMINANCE - it's a joke!! UND Hockey has been consistently excellent for 45 YEARS - a perennial contender on the National scene AND the only ND Team to regularly play REAL division one teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, et al...If you'd like a roster of who owns the Suites at the Ralph, I can provide it. They come from ALL over the state to watch ND's ORIGINAL DI SPORT! (before you reply consider you've defended your recent DII DOMINANCE by citing National Championships in BIG SPORTS like softball, wrestling, and cow bingo! :blush: )

Bfan1234, I grew up right next to williston and I would say Hockey is the biggest sport in williston, and there are degfinately a lot of sioux fans in wiliston, try and deny it. Hockey is big in williston and SIOUX hockey is huge in western ND and EASTERN MONTANT. Wait, isn't eastest montanta, which watches sioux hockey, just as rural as western ND? And isn't eastern montana part of the BIG SKY?

Now that Bison fans have finished the mandatory decrying of hockey's popularity in N.D., back on topic. My list is a little different from others', so I'll explain:

• 1. Men's Hockey
    This one is indisputable, based on demand for tickets, attendance, and success.
  • 2. Football
    Even disregarding UND's recent national success, FB is arguably the #1 sport in the nation. Attendance rivaled only by hockey. UND is one of the few schools at which it isn't #1, so it's an easy #2.
  • 3. W. BB
    Another oddity -- women's BB ahead of men? It's all about success. Their recent successes mean that the casual fan hears more about them and looks for more news.
  • 4. M. BB
    Arguably the #2 sport in the nation (and #2 at most other schools, #1 at a few).
  • 5. W. Volleyball
    Attendance -- people go to these games (legend334 - I thought more than baseball).
  • 6. Swimming/diving
    Not commonly thought of as a spectator sport, but what Sioux fan doesn't watch the headlines in February to make sure we win our annual NCC championship?
  • 7. Women's hockey / baseball
    Women's hockey inherits a little cachet from men's hockey, the Sioux play the big rivals like Minnesota. The program is new, success isn't there yet. Baseball used to be America's pasttime, is spectator friendly, and the games do draw a couple hundred fans.

I think UND is very unusual for how wildly the traditional football/m. basketball pair of leaders has been dislodged.

volleyball ahead of baseball, there are more fans at a UND baseball game than at a volleyball game  IMO

Now I'll admit I didn't do an exhaustive search, I just picked what I thought would be the best attended games, but in looking at baseball from this spring and volleyball so far this fall,

the best baseball number I saw was in the 420s versus MSU-Mankato and

the best volleyball numbers I saw were in the mid 600s versus Augie and USD.

Admittedly, both had some real stinker attendance numbers too.

19-5 = 14.

13+5 = 18.

BFD123....

19+5=24

13-5=8

So, the state really likes UND hockey more than NDSU football.

BTW, I grew up in Northwestern ND and Sioux hockey is very popular in western ND. It is funny that you have probably never been in western ND, but you can tell people what is popular and what isn't.