SiouxSports.com Forum

Most important sport on campus

knowledge

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, it's impossible for you to claim an entire reigion is sioux fans JUST because you and your friends and family were.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess again. I never said entire region, but you said hockey was non-existent as a sport. Not true. Once again you have probably never been in western ND, so you really have no idea what your talking about and can't make an informed decision about what is popular.

If your above statement is true then it would also point out the flawed logic in your response....Just because you and your family and friends went to NDSU doesn't mean everybody is a NDSU FB fan.

Also, my older brother went to NDSU.

Believe it or not, but there is even people in northwest ND that have season hockey tickets for the sioux and they have had them for 20 years.

It's obvious to anyone that hockey is number one at UND, but to think SI is correct that hockey is the most followed sport or has the most fan support in the state would be incorrect IMO. If the people of the state were asked, I would bet far more follow some type of football or football team. Almost all small towns in ND don't have hockey nor do they care about it. That isn't saying that NDSU football is followed by more people than UND hockey, because I think the tradition UND hockey has, and it is the closest thing the state has to a professional sports team. UND hockey does have a huge following, probably bigger than what the SI stats say, but I would say more people in the state follow football than hockey and basketball might even sneak in someplace.

I hope UND football continues the success they have had the last 10 years or so and wins a few more National Championships. If that happens I bet NDSU football would not even be #2 on the same survey.

How could Jim Leclair not make the list of ND's greatest athletes? IMO he should be on the list ahead of several others.

When I said hockey is non-existant what I meant was that there are no teams other than bismark gf and fargo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know where in the he11 Bismark is....

But I know a few fans who drive from Bismarck, N.D. to watch Fighting Sioux hockey... :D

Just a little F.Y.I....... :(

When I said hockey is non-existant what I meant was that there are no teams other than bismark gf and fargo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure the following high school hockey teams would disagree with you:

Bottineau

Devils Lake

Dickinson

Grafton-Park River

Hazen-Beulah

Jamestown

Mandan

Minot

Wahpeton-Breckenridge

West Fargo (a community that is not Fargo)

Williston

I hope UND football continues the success they have had the last 10 years or so and wins a few more National Championships.  If that happens I bet NDSU football would not even be #2 on the same survey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dale Lennon's coaching and recruiting seem well on their way to making this a reality.

How could Jim Leclair not make the list of ND's greatest athletes?  IMO he should be on the list ahead of several others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LeClair was not included because he was raised in South St. Paul, and even played two years of JC ball at UM-Crookston before UND. If the list included current state residents, he would certainly be on it, as he is the current mayor of Mayville, N.D.

With Cass County making up approximately 20% of ND's population, NDSU obviously has a pretty large advantage over UND in terms of a potential fan base within short driving distance. What would be interesting, at least to me, would be whether the rest of the state--exluding Cass and GF counties--would self identify themselves as more of a UND or NDSU football fan. UND has the advantage of having a larger alumni base, and more success over the past 10-12 years. NDSU has the dI factor, plus considerable success, albeit much of it coming 15-20 years ago. Those of you who live in or are from central or western ND would be in a far better position than I to speculate on this.

West Fargo -> Fargo

Mandan -> Bismarck

The rest of those teams are a joke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Careful what you say. First off you are talking about High School teams. Second you should look up and down the list before you rattle off a statement like that. Grafton-Park River has more to say in North Dakota hockey than anyone other than GFC and GFRR...that includes FN & FS. Who's the last big time player a Fargo school has turned out?

Careful what you say.  First off you are talking about High School teams.  Second you should look up and down the list before you rattle off a statement like that.  Grafton-Park River has more to say in North Dakota hockey than anyone other than GFC and GFRR...that includes FN & FS.  Who's the last big time player a Fargo school has turned out?

a-mcclean4020404.jpg

Cory McLean, Captain of Notre Dame hockey team, 1999 grad of Fargo North.

Off the top of my head I can only think of him and Mike McLean from South - played for Army, Pat O'Leary from North (98) played for UND.

Some others could have played D1 hockey but chose other sports - Askew from South, Hoffman from North (although that probably isn't very recent).

The GF MSA still has almost 100000 people! That's not enough to fill the 13500 Alerus?!

Cmon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't recall anybody saying that there's not enough people in this area to fill the arena. In my opinion, it should be full every week. However, you could certainly make the same claim that the Fargodome should be full or nearly full with 180,000 people in the area or whatever the combined population of Cass and Clay counties is. And although 14,000 is nothing to be ashamed of, that still leaves roughly 4000 to 5000 empty seats every game. Both schools are averaging about 75% capacity.

Right.

But someone said that NDSU has a huge advantage since they have all the population, which isn't true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was simply that if you're comparing which football team is more popular in the state of ND, UND or NDSU, NDSU has a big advantage because 20% of ND's population lives in Cass County. So regardless of the allegiances of the rest of the state, NDSU will likely have more fans due simply to the fact that the Fargo area is so much bigger than any other city in ND. It will likely be able to draw a lot of fans from Fargo who perhaps grew up elsewhere and had no allegiance prior to moving to Fargo but would be far more likely to follow the local team rather than one 75 miles away. Similarly, if somebody moves to Grand Forks from outside the area, chances are that they will follow UND more closely. The difference is that Fargo-Moorhead has far more of these types of people from which to draw from.