SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-14, 4-6) @ DU (1-12, 0-6) 2/5 2 PM

SWSiouxMN

19 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Did you get to watch it? Think they should have been able to handle them easier?

We got off hot and then let them find hope by sucking at the free throw line and cooling off a bit from outside. Also Rebraca fouled out with about 8 minutes to go and with the game very much in doubt. Half of his fouls were jokes, especially one where he was set for eternity, outside the half circle and got called for a blocking foul. It evened out later when they got the same call against them. Just brutal. Rebraca should not have fouled out. Would have made it easier on us to have him out there for the duration.

• Upvote 1

I may get flamed by saying this but I really don’t think you can score compare or even record compare this year.   This Denver team could very well have a couple wins...but have found ways to lose(not very good teams do)  They trailed by 3 with about 5 to go at NDSU (Friday) and found a way to see that get away.  They were down 84-81 in the final moments against Oral Roberts and saw that slip away. Actually could have beat ORU either night.

Plus, Coach Horstman said in the lead up that they expected Robert Jones 6’10 player from Prior Lake to be back this game and that completely changes that team- as he was out since before Christmas.  And boy did he.  17 points 7 rebounds and really he only looked about 90%.  Cause he ran the floor way better  against us last year than he did today.  I would take him on our team in heart beat.  Having him & Fil on the floor on the same team would be fun.

Jase Townsend is one of the top players in the Summit.  He scored 20 plus at least 12 times last year, and had 35 against ORU this season.  The problem tonight is that we had our hands on him on DHO’s even 25 feet from the basket (the refs were calling it tight...but it was that way both ways, we’ve got to understand and adjust) and while we led by 13, he kept getting to go to the free throw line on fouls and he’s one of the best foul shooters in the league at 92%.  Meanwhile during that same stretch we were 0 for 4 from the line and couldn’t hit anything.  This was all late first half and even though we still led by 5 at the half, it felt like we were trailing- then Rebraca picked up his 3rd relatively quickly followed by his 4th a short time later...at that point, I wouldn’t have been surprised if we would fold.  But sometimes you got to win ugly.

Couple of game balls tonight- Brady Danielson- hit a couple of 3’s and added a nice 3 point play.  Mitchell Sueker some nice boards.  Ihenacho had a solid game but 6 turnovers, credit DU for putting the much smaller Eastmond on him and while Ihenacho is more talented, the way Eastmond moves he does well to stay in front.  I think he’s just behind Tyree in steals on the season per game, and I can see why.

I’m taking the win.  It looks pretty clear that this team is going to at least finish mid pack. Whether it’s 4, 5, or 6 is to be determined.  Lets see if they can get their first sweep of the season tomorrow.

First of all switch of time I missed the regular game just the OT on Stats.  Much thanks for teeter's updates.  I always enjoy SW flow of the game.  Just looking at the stats.  The team stepped up.  Balanced scoring.  Fouls were tight and Filip got caught up in a Refers game.  Danielson big 3's. Seuker FT's Tyree covered big time.  The team was jn balance.  I look for a sweep.

It was good to see that they found a way to win the game without Rebraca for the last 5 and in OT.

Like that the offense is finally coming along and is starting hit 3 pointers.  Last 6 games, the team is shooting 38.4% from 3, which is pretty decent.  Like that Brady stepped up and knocked down some big 3 late in the game.  Liked that Sueker was clutch at the free throw line... again.  Ihenacho is continuing to grow.  Want a scary though?  Ihenacho with a consistent jump shot. 

What I don't like is that they have been fouling a LOT in the last 2 games.  They let Townsend live off of the free throw line yesterday.  I also didn't like that they needed OT to beat Denver.  The finish of the first half wasn't that great either.  If they had finished that half strong and had at least a 15 point halftime lead, Denver might have just tapped out.  16 turnovers... yuck. Streaky free throw shooting. They still haven't figured out how to play a full 40 yet. 

57 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It was good to see that they found a way to win the game without Rebraca for the last 5 and in OT.

Like that the offense is finally coming along and is starting hit 3 pointers.  Last 6 games, the team is shooting 38.4% from 3, which is pretty decent.  Like that Brady stepped up and knocked down some big 3 late in the game.  Liked that Sueker was clutch at the free throw line... again.  Ihenacho is continuing to grow.  Want a scary though?  Ihenacho with a consistent jump shot. 

What I don't like is that they have been fouling a LOT in the last 2 games.  They let Townsend live off of the free throw line yesterday.  I also didn't like that they needed OT to beat Denver.  The finish of the first half wasn't that great either.  If they had finished that half strong and had at least a 15 point halftime lead, Denver might have just tapped out.  16 turnovers... yuck. Streaky free throw shooting. They still haven't figured out how to play a full 40 yet. 

Agreed on all of that. Denver does look a little better with Jones in the lineup than they did for the previous games, since December, without him.

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Agreed on all of that. Denver does look a little better with Jones in the lineup than they did for the previous games, since December, without him.

Still we can't keep giving teams reasons to be inspired or believe when we have them on the ropes.