SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-9, 1-1) @ ORU (5-5, 2-0) 1/8 730 (Game 1)

SWSiouxMN

That’s just a huge win, definitely a top 3 win of the Sather era so far with the NDSU game in GF last year and at Nebraska. This one might even be biggest as far as what it could do for the confidence of this team. No one gave them a chance to win one in Tulsa.

1 minute ago, UNDFan2577 said:

That’s just a huge win, definitely a top 3 win of the Sather era so far with the NDSU game in GF last year and at Nebraska. This one might even be biggest as far as what it could do for the confidence of this team. No one gave them a chance to win one in Tulsa.

I would throw the USD game at the Summit tourney as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I would throw the USD game at the Summit tourney as well. 

Yeah, I though about that one as well. I think this one tops it just because last years team knew as long as Marlon was on the floor, they could play with anyone. This win might be the one that instills that belief for this team. Time will tell

UND only turned the ball over 8 times, 3 of them were in the 2nd half

UND held ORU to 7-29 shooting from 3.  UND made 8-22 from 3. Which for them is a high mark right now.

No Ihenacho tonight, so Igbanugo stepped up tonight and knocked down some shots (3-6 from 3, including 2 big back to back 3's in the 2nd half) scored 11 points.

Held Abmas in check (5-18, 2-10 from 3).  Obanor was dominate in the 1st half but Rebraca got him good in the 2nd half. They combined to score 39 points.  Last weekend against Omaha they combined to score 66 and 67 points in the two matchups.  

Speaking of Rebraca, he stepped up big time in the 2nd half.  He didn't want to let UND lose.  Free throws were a struggle yes, and I think he needs to work on his mechanics.  Had the big block at the end.

I felt the offense look way better, more movement on and off the ball, they were getting good, open looks.  

Sims:  Scored 10 points, had a big 3 late in the 2nd half.  I was concerned about him defending Abmas and he got him a few times and felt he would have been too quick for him.  However... he made THE play on defense in picking Max's pocket and getting fouled.

Sueker was 5-7 from the floor and was the 4th UND player with double figures.  Think he is finally settling in. 

Panoam stepped in and was okay, I'll give him credit for trying to put up a poster but was denied.   G knocked down 2 3's in the first half, scored 8 points off of the bench.  Nice bounceback after a tough Kansas City series.

ORU made things very difficult on the glass, nothing came easy for UND on both ends.  The ball was flying around a little too much and wasn't secured as much as it should have for UND.  They are a good team... but it appears that they still have that bugaboo of having a clunker or two.

UND got one and it does make up for that Kansas City loss at home.  Team took a solid step in the right direction.  Its house money tomorrow.  I fully expect ORU to come back with a vengeance.

Win #300 for Sather in his career.  Congrats Coach!

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Man I will admit I gave UND little to no chance to win this game. Way to step up even when they were without Tyree. 

Thinking on this last night, this was very similar circumstances to last years win against Oral Roberts in Grand Forks.  A key piece missing (Rebraca last year, Tyree this year) that played to ORU strength (last year it was their bigs, this year it was Abmas), the replacement stepped up and played well (G last year, Ethan this year), UND got a big time performance from their star (Marlon last year, Rebraca this year), got balanced scoring (both games had 4 starters with double figures), and made a huge play at the end to seal it (DAE steal and slam last year, Sims steal and free throw/Rebraca block at the end). 

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that's number one for me....

It would be for me as well but I understand the original intent of the poster, saying that it was a bigger win because last year we had that player that could go out and win games by himself (Marlon).  

If I had to rank the top 5 so far for Sather, I would go this route

1) USD at Summit Tourney

2) ORU yesterday

3) NDSU on Senior Night

4) Nebraska 

5) ORU last year in Grand Forks 

*Beating a P5 school is great and normally would be higher, but Nebraska was hot trash last year. 

• Upvote 1