SiouxSports.com Forum

Band at the Ralph

dj_hoime

I have heard that in order to get more seating for the Ralph they might get ride of the band. :D I remember the last few years at Christmas time when the band was gone the atmosphere was not the same. It was almost boring. I cant imagine a year without the band. Has anyone else heard about this.

I have heard that in order to get more seating for the Ralph they might get ride of the band. :D I remember the last few years at Christmas time when the band was gone the atmosphere was not the same. It was almost boring. I cant imagine a year without the band. Has anyone else heard about this.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least - just rack up another terrible decision for the REA staffers (if this is true).

Not true. The band will be there - I can 100% guarantee that the band will be there. They will not be at the Oct. 2nd game due to schedule conflicts but they will be at all games that school is in session.

Two things:

1. I'm happy that the band will be there. I think that a band is important to the atmosphere of the event.

2. #1 only applies if the band members PRACTICE the material. Last season, and the season before that, the band was overblowing, overplaying, and under practiced. Especially the trumpets. If you can't hit the notes, you shouldn't be in the band. With the mics being there, the trumpets shouldn't have to blow so hard.

I like the band, but I can't stand it when they outblow the song or just plain can't play it.

Oh yeah, dump the prep crap. We don't need Hootie, Sheryl Crow, and stuff you wouldn't find outside of the junior high pep band concert.

I know it is football, but look at the DIA football pep bands and what they play. The band needs to find songs that get the fans into the game, not show just how much pop culture is stocked in the Hughes Music Library.

I know it is football, but look at the DIA football pep bands and what they play. The band needs to find songs that get the fans into the game, not show just how much pop culture is stocked in the Hughes Music Library.

Most big time DI bands play the same song over and over. This is normally their fight song or rouser. I believe I just saw in SI that the Tennessee band was played Rocky Top an average of 60 times a game last season!

I saw USC last year and they only played their rouser and then a song at the quarter break.

However, I do agree that the pop songs don't work and crowd pleasers should be employed. As far as practice, you were in band during college. Who has the time? Especially during FB season.

Most big time DI bands play the same song over and over. This is normally their fight song or rouser. I believe I just saw in SI that the Tennessee band was played Rocky Top an average of 60 times a game last season!

I saw USC last year and they only played their rouser and then a song at the quarter break.

However, I do agree that the pop songs don't work and crowd pleasers should be employed. As far as practice, you were in band during college. Who has the time? Especially during FB season.

I was. I was in the hockey band, in fact. I've read people coming onto this board and talking about how dedicated these people are. Well, I agree to a certain point. These band players love the team and support UND athletics, however, I can't remember once where they tried to practice as a group. Instead, they just trust it to those who have the time to do it individually.

I quit the band because I woke up one morning and realized that, when it came to playing in a band, I couldn't cut it. I was just too awful and I couldn't hit the notes. Now, I realize not everyone would come to these same conclusions, but I have no regrets about leaving the band.

That being said, you are right, there are a lot of distractions going on, which is why I think something should be done to help the hockey band out. I don't know what can be done because, when I was in the band, I never played at a football game. Only basketball and hockey. I don't know if that system could be brought back feasibly.

The only thing I am saying is that they need to practice or they shouldn't play. Everyone here has probably been to a band at one point that sounded awful. No one, especially musicians, can stand sitting through a poor musical performance.

2. #1 only applies if the band members PRACTICE the material. Last season, and the season before that, the band was overblowing, overplaying, and under practiced. Especially the trumpets. If you can't hit the notes, you shouldn't be in the band. With the mics being there, the trumpets shouldn't have to blow so hard.

Amen to that, coming from a fellow trumpet player.

I miss what the band did back in the 1980s.

They'd play "Fight on Sioux" starting with about three or four minutes left before the start of a period.

They'd play it the first time slower than a funeral dirge. They'd maybe be at one beat per second.

Once they finished they'd pick up the pace just barely, a nominal fraction, and play it again.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, .... (they'd end up playing it close to a dozen times) ....

Until (and right about the time you'd hear "Here come your Fighting Sioux!") the band would be playing the tune at a pace of about five or six beats per second! They'd be flying and the place would just be rockin'.

The band looked more tired after an intermission than the team after a period.

They'd play "Fight on Sioux" starting with about three or four minutes left before the start of a period.

They'd play it the first time slower than a funeral dirge. They'd maybe be at one beat per second.

Once they finished they'd pick up the pace just barely, a nominal fraction, and play it again.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, .... (they'd end up playing it close to a dozen times) ....

Until (and right about the time you'd hear "Here come your Fighting Sioux!") the band would be playing the tune at a pace of about five or six beats per second! They'd be flying and the place would just be rockin'.

I love it.

Where's PCM?

I assumed that only Moo U grads wanted more cowbell. :)

Since we're trotting out our musical credentials, I will add that I have played the piano, trombone, cornet, tuba and baritone. I also played in my high school pep band.

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. I merely wanted to demonstrate that when it comes to music, I am multi-untalented. :D:angry:

Sica,

I remember this too. It absolutely needs to be brought back, as the entire arena was in full frenzy by the time the players hit the ice and often even after the puck had been dropped. This would be the single best way to improve the atmosphere in the new building. It's simply a great fight song.

I played in the band back in the early 80's and remember doing the Fight on Sioux thing. When everyone in the rink would clap along and then explode when the team came out was awsome. I couldn't belive they not only gave me a ticket for the game but also $10. I would have played for free, well for a ticket anyway. The best part was that after 2 years I transfered to a different school but was still able to walk in with the other band members as long as I had my trumpet with me, even without a ticket. They were more worried at the door to check me for a live chicken or a bottle of Windsor in my trumpet case than if I actually had a ticket or not. I was able to do this for an additional 2 years.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this to work the percussion and bass sections and the director really have to tug back strong on the reigns. The urge is to speed up too much too fast. Don't let the crowd, or the rest of the band, increase the tempo.

I remember feeling like the building was shaking off the foundation at times from the roar.

I played in the band back in the early 80's and remember doing the Fight on Sioux thing. When everyone in the rink would clap along and then explode when the team came out was awsome. I couldn't belive they not only gave me a ticket for the game but also $10. I would have played for free, well for a ticket anyway. The best part was that after 2 years I transfered to a different school but was still able to walk in with the other band members as long as I had my trumpet with me, even without a ticket. They were more worried at the door to check me for a live chicken or a bottle of Windsor in my trumpet case than if I actually had a ticket or not. I was able to do this for an additional 2 years.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played trombone in the band for 5 years, and yes the trumpets over blow. I was there for the rebirth of the marching band and the slow death of the pep band.

The problem (whether new or old) is the Ralph. They won't LET the band play for that long. As it is now, the band only gets to play 1 out of every 3 breaks. Though I'm sure that ratio has gotten worse. Plus, the band doesn't play at all during intermission. Gotta get them commercials in for the 800th time. :D

I miss the Hey Hey Goodbye song when a team was about to be swept. The Fight on Sioux intro was pretty darn intimidating.

And no, the band doesn't get paid like in the '80s. In fact the band didn't even travel for tourneys last year.

One of the parts of football game is when the Band plays Fight on Sioux right behind the opposing team before kick off. The students are bouncing all over the place and it is loud. Once again, hello REA pay attention please. I do miss that psychotic cymbals player from last year. He was crazy and seeing him crash the cymbals right in some players' ear was hillarious. :D

I miss what the band did back in the 1980s..They'd play "Fight on Sioux" starting with about three or four minutes left before the start of a period. Until (and right about the time you'd hear "Here come your Fighting Sioux!") the band would be playing the tune at a pace of about five or six beats per second! They'd be flying and the place would just be rockin'..

Without a doubt, this was one of the highlights of my college days. This was a tradition that should have never died.

A great college sports need atmosphere is about the bands, the students, the smells, the traditions. A band can't get a crowd revved up alone, but when you add a great band to a great game and a great college atmosphere there is nothing like it.

IMHO, the people playing the stupid canned music at the REA, the Alerus, or for that matter, the FargoDome are IDIOTS!! I don't want a Fighting Sioux game to feel like the NHL (or God forbid--the NBA). College sports atmosphere at its best is at another level.

http://www.UND.edu/schoolsongs/fighton.wav

Given the rural Midwest bent of this message board, this may be useless to most reading this message, but it's certainly amused me...

If you happen to have a 3G Sprint PCS phone (i.e. polyphonic ring tones), punch in this URL for a very nice ringtone: http://siouxsports.com/wap/fightonsioux.gcd :D (you pay for your airtime/Internet, but the URL bears no special fees).