Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SiouxVolley

Oregon bans fans at games until October

Recommended Posts

I don’t like to hear of the possible chance of this game being Cancelled any more than our game at K State being cancelled.

 I just want football. I was actually looking forward to the bison Oregon game.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MN News is that the U may/may not have fall sports and people are questioning winter too. Huge loss in revenue..... hope this virus just ends soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t like to hear of the possible chance of this game being Cancelled any more than our game at K State being cancelled.

 I just want football. I was actually looking forward to the bison Oregon game.

I don’t think the NDSU/Oregon game has been cancelled yet. The gov of Oregon said attendance would be limited at all events through Sept. could mean no or limited fans. Could still be played. Not predicting it will be, but there is a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I don’t think the NDSU/Oregon game has been cancelled yet. The gov of Oregon said attendance would be limited at all events through Sept. could mean no or limited fans. Could still be played. Not predicting it will be, but there is a chance.

It seems like these FBS teams won't be in a hurry to pay out the guarantees if they aren't getting any gate revenue though. But there's always a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

It seems like these FBS teams won't be in a hurry to pay out the guarantees if they aren't getting any gate revenue though. But there's always a chance.

There is an out for the FBS teams to only pay travel expenses for a situation like this if both teams agree to it. They would not have to pay the guarantee if fans were limited or not allowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

There is an out for the FBS teams to only pay travel expenses for a situation like this if both teams agree to it. They would not have to pay the guarantee if fans were limited or not allowed. 

Oh ok. That makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, Mama Sue said:

MN News is that the U may/may not have fall sports and people are questioning winter too. Huge loss in revenue..... hope this virus just ends soon.

If there is no football there is likely very few other sports that can function without the revenue football generates for most schools. Playing without fans would be just as devastating as not playing at all. Many of the expenses still exist without fans but ticket and concession revenue goes away. And alumni development events around those games also don't happen. Hockey at UND may be able to self-fund, but most other sports wouldn't. If Fall and Winter sports don't happen, I could see a much longer tail to being able to fund college athletics again. If a lack of students on campus is what drives the lack of sports I expect to see several small private schools (i.e. Concordia, St. Johns) not survive. Those schools maybe aren't good examples because they have larger endowments. But if they deplete those endowments to survive it could significantly hinder the universities in the future. State schools are a little more protected, but they could still face significant budget cuts and layoffs. Sports is probably the least of their priorities in this case. I don't like it, but I get it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 6:43 AM, nd1sufan said:

I don’t think the NDSU/Oregon game has been cancelled yet. The gov of Oregon said attendance would be limited at all events through Sept. could mean no or limited fans. Could still be played. Not predicting it will be, but there is a chance.

Unless they are only going to play conference games I would think it would still happen if Oregon is playing...especially with the very real possibility of USC, Cal, Stanford, and UCLA not playing this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically, this is just a mess. It affects almost every aspect of our lives.... in MN, I can’t get my hair cut but I can get my dog trimmed. I can’t shop downtown but I can at a big box retail. The biggest candy store in MN opened but not movie theaters.... it is a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...