SiouxSports.com Forum

Former UND Student Jamie Grant

Blackheart

Anyone have more information on this unfortunate incident?  Jamie was killed after being punched outside a Fargo bar last year and hitting his head when he fell.  It was all over the news initially, but the last I heard the guy that did this had posted bail and that was right after it happened.  Was there ever a trial?  Did this guy go to jail?

Here's a link to one of the initial stories from the GF Herald.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4279030-loved-ones-pay-tribute-man-who-died-following-downtown-fargo-assault

16 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

The guy that punched him has a history of being a hot head.  That's our criminal justice system these days.  Keep giving second chances until someone gets hurt really bad or dies. 

You can’t exactly lock someone up for life for being a hot head. 

11 hours ago, petey23 said:

Jamie was a friend of mine and an amazing person.

The trial is supposed to start in mid June I believe but I think I heard the defense asked for a change of venue.

Ok, thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

The guy that punched him has a history of being a hot head.  That's our criminal justice system these days.  Keep giving second chances until someone gets hurt really bad or dies. 

Classic case of "little man" syndrome. Believe he was wearing a shirt that said "talk !@#$ get hit" Hope the punk rots in jail. 

47 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

Classic case of "little man" syndrome. Believe he was wearing a shirt that said "talk !@#$ get hit" Hope the punk rots in jail. 

Would likely only get a year or two in jail for a reckless or negligent homocide charge 

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

You can’t exactly lock someone up for life for being a hot head. 

How about a history of getting in fights and causing bodily harm to other people?  Educate yourself a little on his background before making excuses for him.

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Would likely only get a year or two in jail for a reckless or negligent homocide charge 

Hopefully a rational jury is selected for the case.  The heat of the moment argument goes out the window once he made the conscious decision to run around the building to the other exit to confront Grant.

11 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

How about a history of getting in fights and causing bodily harm to other people?  Educate yourself a little on his background before making excuses for him.

Where is this documentation? Police reports? Word of mouth?

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

The word of mouth (which even from people I know....is what it is....subjective) is that Grant wasn't a violent guy and Patterson has worn a shirt that says "Talk sh*t get hit".

I knew Jamie a little in college...knew his brother Jeff better.  They were not the type of guys to go looking for trouble in a bar.  This whole thing is tragic.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheFlop said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inforum.com/news/4288329-who-darren-patterson-fargo-man-charged-manslaughter-deadly-punch%3famp

About halfway through the article.  Most of society has never been in any bar fights but for some reason this guy has a pattern.  

Is there history? Yes. But I wouldnt say 2 incidents are a pattern. unless you consider ETOH was involved in both.

Still a very sad situation.

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I knew Jamie a little in college...knew his brother Jeff better.  They were not the type of guys to go looking for trouble in a bar.  This whole thing is tragic.

They weren’t, the same can’t be said for the third person in the party, Seng kid...had a mouth on him.

38 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

My wife told me she graduated with Patterson at Fargo North and he wasn’t a hot head in school, but she said people change and he should be held accountable for what he did. Throw the book at him.

Agree 100%.

18 hours ago, bison73 said:

Is there history? Yes. But I wouldnt say 2 incidents are a pattern. unless you consider ETOH was involved in both.

Still a very sad situation.

Unfortunately there are many that share your view and think violent people should get chance after chance.  Causing significant bodily harm during two completely separate incidents at bars on the same street within a block of each other was just a coincidence?  Must be awfully unlucky guy to have that type of trouble randomly following him.

26 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Unfortunately there are many that share your view and think violent people should get chance after chance.  Causing significant bodily harm during two completely separate incidents at bars on the same street within a block of each other was just a coincidence?  Must be awfully unlucky guy to have that type of trouble randomly following him.

The t shirt clinches it for me. Pretty sure the lawyers are suppressing that. Or trying to.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, MrEdway said:

The t shirt clinches it for me. Pretty sure the lawyers are suppressing that. Or trying to.

All you need to do is look at his picture from the article. Look at the rims on his truck and that’s all you need to know. We all know people like him.