SiouxSports.com Forum

Following UND's recruits

jk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back to the RBC. Ironically, Nainamo, who creamed the GP Storm on Wednesday night 7-2, for their fifth straight win vs. GP (the previous four coming in the Doyle Cup), got beat by Kindersly on Thursday night, so, Nainamo finishes last (fifth), and out of the championship round.

GP now plays Kindersly in the semifinal, while Aurora play Nepean. GP defeated all three remaining teams in the round robin.

• 3 weeks later...
I found something interesting:

Under Heisenberg's site, it now lists Luke Beaverson as coming to UND in 2005. Can anyone confirm this or could this be a misprint?

I would imagine the information hasn't been updated. He was coming to UND at one time...

I would imagine the information hasn't been updated. He was coming to UND at one time...

Heisenberg never took Luke off the list under UND, but on the list below under USHL, they did remove his UND tag. Now, he's back on as for 2005. It's an odd thing to see. No confirmation on Green Bay's site, but I'm no where near the investigative person that some on here are.

Beaverson was originally listed as a 2004 on Heisenberg's list, but after the article we all saw was changed to a 2005. Could mean that Blais is asking him to spend another year in juniors since he did not advance as much as the coaches would have liked last season. Rick seemed to think the Sioux gave up on him entirely when he didn't do (improve) to what was expected of him in juniors. (Is Beaverson young enough to play another year of juniors?).

He could look for another school to sign on with this fall, which I'd expect he'd try to do, especially if he can't play another year of junior hockey.

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

In The Hockey News' latest issue, UND's Drew Stafford is ranked ninth among all skaters in the publication's 2004 Draft Preview.

Stafford, a 6-foot-2, 202-pound forward from Faribault, Minn., scored 11 goals and added 21 assists for the Sioux this past season. He also played on the U.S. National Junior team that captured the gold medal at the World Junior Championship in Helsinki, Finland.

Stafford is projected to be a first-round pick in the NHL draft, scheduled June 26 in Nashville.

"He is a big, strong winger who goes up and down and goes after the puck," one NHL scout told The Hockey News. "He goes to the net hard and creates havoc. He is everything you're looking for in a pro player down the road."

Sioux recruit Travis Zajac was ranked No. 24 among all skaters in the draft. He played a Salmon Arm, B.C., last season.

He scored 43 goals and added 59 assists last season at Salmon Arm.

According to The Hockey News, scouts like his skill and intensity, but wonder how he'll do when the going gets rough.

"How tough is that league he was in?" asked one scout. "Can he put up big numbers when the other team is out to get him?"

Please, other teams: Go after, be out to get, Travis Zajac. Forget about Bochenski, Murray, Stafford, Genoway, Fylling, Porter, et al. :sad:

:sad: I read on the River City Lancers website that their first pick in the USHL draft, Nick Fanto is a UND recruit. He is listed at 6 feet 200 pounds. He played for Victory Honda last year in Michigan and posted good numbers (47g, 52a, 106 PIM). Does anybody know anything more about this guy. Also, I saw that the Green Bay Gamblers site said that Brad Miller who played at Shattuck last year is a UND recruit. He is listed at 5'10'' 170 pounds. He posted 94 points last year if I remember right. Just a couple more solid recruits. Now if we can just get Jonathan Toews.

From the River City site:

--------------------------

"The Lancers 2004-2005 entry draft had an offensive flavor. On Wednesday, River City picked 11 forwards and three defensemen in its 14 selections.