SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day @ Da Birds 7pm

geaux_sioux

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'm starting to doubt that Blubaugh will ever be "good". Harris was never this bad during his true freshman season. 

I do see some potential with Hunt yet. He plays aggressive at times. No plays lately but he made some nice plays earlier. As for Blubaugh no sign of playmaking.

Harris didn’t have a true freshman at safety and a sophomore at the other safety.  He also likely had a front that could get pressure on a QB. 

Trying to judge anyone in our secondary is crazy.  Do you have any eligibility left?

8 minutes ago, homer said:

Harris didn’t have a true freshman at safety and a sophomore at the other safety.  He also likely had a front that could get pressure on a QB. 

Trying to judge anyone in our secondary is crazy.  Do you have any eligibility left?

What injuries does the defensive line have to where that deep unit isn't getting pressure? And you're telling me that the 2014 defense was loaded or was at least better equipped than this unit? Good grief, I understand this season is tough and you want to find a silver lining, but call it what it is. I don't think some of these guys will turn out and the results show that.

Right now, this team, and quite frankly, this program is hurting and needs changes all over the place. I think the players that are out there are part of the issue, obviously, and I think some of these kids will unfortunately not end up being good college football players. Recruiting is hard and sometimes kids don't pan out. Don't apologize for everything; the last thing this program needs is justifying of loses. UND football fans severely lack expectations, and that too needs to be fixed. 3 wins during an expected top 10 year is just horrible, despite injuries and whatever other excuses folks can come up with. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What injuries does the defensive line have to where that deep unit isn't getting pressure? And you're telling me that the 2014 defense was loaded or was at least better equipped than this unit? Good grief, I understand this season is tough and you want to find a silver lining, but call it what it is. I don't think some of these guys will turn out and the results show that.

Right now, this team, and quite frankly, this program is hurting and needs changes all over the place. I think the players that are out there are part of the issue, obviously, and I think some of these kids will unfortunately not end up being good college football players. Recruiting is hard and sometimes kids don't pan out. Don't apologize for everything; the last thing this program needs is justifying of loses. UND football fans severely lack expectations, and that too needs to be fixed. 3 wins during an expected top 10 year is just horrible, despite injuries and whatever other excuses folks can come up with. 

No one is suggesting that this year hasn't been a complete and total disaster. But your solution is Regime Change. That is what I disagree with. I say we bounce back next year and surprise a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, homer said:

Harris had RSFR Reyes and Senior Baylee Carr. Harris also didn't start a single game as a true fr. He was a sieve as a soph. All American as a Junior.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

No one is suggesting that this year hasn't been a complete and total disaster. But your solution is Regime Change. That is what I disagree with. I say we bounce back next year and surprise a lot of people.

No, it's not and you have to stop reading into that. I completely understand Bubba is going nowhere nor should he, but there needs to be changes and that can happen under Bubba's watch. Only with those changes will your bounce back happen. 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, it's not and you have to stop reading into that. I completely understand Bubba is going nowhere nor should he, but there needs to be changes and that can happen under Bubba's watch. Only with those changes will your bounce back happen. 

Hey, if this garbage happens again next year, I'll be in your camp. I just don't think it will.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Me too, and I know UND-FB-FAN said he understands the injuries, but doesn't want us to make excuses. 

If this team had Reyes, Harris and the others playing MOST of the year and were giving up 40 ppg I'd be all over it.  We aren't talking about regime changes without the injuries as I believe that without the injuries this team would have been a LOT better. 

I hope!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

True fr Greeley and Dranka played a ton that year. Our LBs were about 10,000X better than this year. We were pretty good at LB from Mussman oddly enough.  Rattelle Rich Labat OBrien Idowu Reineke and Peters were a pretty stout group. 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

A sieve on 2015's 7-4 team? Wow, who were you watching? I disagree completely.

A young DB getting burned constantly. I was at every game and was not comfortable with him out there. Shall I pull out the NDSU or Montana highlights where he looked completely lost out there?

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Harris had RSFR Reyes and Senior Baylee Carr. Harris also didn't start a single game as a true fr. He was a sieve as a soph. All American as a Junior.

I'd have to agree with geaux_sioux on this one. Harris was getting taken to the wood shed constantly in 2015. The Montana game and Idaho State games come to mind. But he was allowed to stay on the field the entire game.

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

I'd have to agree with geaux_sioux on this one. Harris was getting taken to the wood shed constantly in 2015. The Montana game and Idaho State games come to mind. But he was allowed to stay on the field the entire game.

True, but I felt even then, that he had potential. Please do NOT show the Bison game. It was awful and he was chasing WR's a lot.

My point is that Blubough looks putrid out there right now but I'm not going to judge him until he gets more experience and is put in a position to succeed like Hunt was last year. If he looks like this at the end of next year and the rest of the defense is fixed then he should switch positions, til then I'm willing to be patient with him even though it's hard to watch.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, shep said:

True, but I felt even then, that he had potential. Please do NOT show the Bison game. It was awful and he was chasing WR's a lot.

They all have potential; he was beaten for big plays constantly in 2015, but he bounced back last year and had a much better year..  I think the pressure up front in 2016 made the back end look better than what they actually were.

They all have potential; he was beaten for big plays constantly in 2015, but he bounced back last year and had a much better year..  I think the pressure up front in 2016 made the back end look better than what they actually were.

No doubt. Going back to injuries, the LB's being hurt are the worst in this D. No run stoppage from the LB's affects the whole D.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shep said:

No doubt. Going back to injuries, the LB's being hurt are the worst in this D. No run stoppage from the LB's affects the whole D.

Injuries combined with lack of girth and strength on the D line. When we can hold our own on the line, we do okay; but when we are getting pushed off the ball on offense and defense it amplifies other weaknesses.

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We were way better at getting pressure that year than this year.  I don’t care how good a DB is, when the QB has as much time as opposing QBs have had this year anyone will struggle.  

• Upvote 2

Injuries combined with lack of girth and strength on the D line. When we can hold our own on the line, we do okay; but when we are getting pushed off the ball on offense and defense it amplifies other weaknesses.

I don't disagree. We are getting pushed off the line, but IF we had the bigger, better, stronger LB's, those deficiencies would be mitigated.

I tend to agree with most on Blubaugh in that I'm not ready to give up on him.  He just started playing CB in August of this year, so I'm willing to give him some more time.  I like the comparison to Harris, in that I thought Harris was not a very good CB when he first started either.  I'm willing to let it play out longer, as he's getting a lot of valuable experience this year.  He'll have the offseason/spring ball to really start pulling everything together.  

I will say that I'm no expert on things like technique and everything, but there's a reason that he got his shirt pulled before we lost anyone else other than Harris.  It's a lost year so I'm okay with him taking his lumps.

I'm a little more disappointed with Ty Carter, but my understanding is that he's been knicked up pretty good so it's been tough from that perspective.  

All in all this year has been a !@#$ storm.......and hopefully we can regroup in the offseason and get back to making next year what we thought this year could have been......

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, homer said:

We were way better at getting pressure that year than this year.  I don’t care how good a DB is, when the QB has as much time as opposing QBs have had this year anyone will struggle.  

...but as a DB, sometimes you gotta win that battle even when there is no pressure. Its starts up front, I fully agree with that. It just seem like we never win the battle for the ball in the secondary unless its just a wayward pass.

4 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

...but as a DB, sometimes you gotta win that battle even when there is no pressure. Its starts up front, I fully agree with that. It just seem like we never win the battle for the ball in the secondary unless its just a wayward pass.

Two years ago when we had a young secondary it looked VERY similar.....50/50 balls were not that....they were 90/10 balls with the offense completing them 90% of the time.  The next year with a year of experience we were one of the top teams in INT's. 

7 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't disagree. We are getting pushed off the line, but IF we had the bigger, better, stronger LB's, those deficiencies would be mitigated.

we are compromised on the line, LBs, and secondary...that adds up to a defense that gives up 40 per game in loses. If we can fix 2 of the 3 next year....should be a much better year.