SiouxSports.com Forum

Sooooo Many Olympians

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seriously though, are we at risk of losing Mismash for WJC and a month for the Olympics? Or do people think this will be made up mostly of AHL players?

This could seriously affect college teams during their stretch run in February.

If it's like it was before, you'll lose the players for the full season.

When I was at UND in the early 1980's, it wasn't unusual at all for WCHA teams to lose a star player for the entire season.  Broten played for Minnesota one year, took the next year off to play on the 1980 Olympic team, then came back to Minnesota the following year.  That happened to a few others that I recall.  Unfortunately, most just moved on to the NHL.

NHL players can just take off a week before the Olympics and arguably be ready to play effectively in the tournament.  No way USA hockey does that if they have to use college kids.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Seriously though, are we at risk of losing Mismash for WJC and a month for the Olympics? Or do people think this will be made up mostly of AHL players?

This could seriously affect college teams during their stretch run in February.

Lots of more talented guys playing in Europe and Russia who could make up a majority of the team.

I don't know ho USA hockey is going to do this.  Potentially you could have a team with both NHL guys that have been in the league for years playing with 19-20 year old kids who are jsut a couple years removed from high school or juniors!!  Will definitely be an interesting dynamic! 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4245085-nhl-wont-send-players-2018-olympics-opening-door-ncaa-players

I wonder how many of our guys will make the cut? Probably at least 8 for sure.

Who? I mean, I like our team, but I don't think I can name 8.

Wolanin, The Euros? ... Are Pogo and Gerisch good enough to be on Team USA? Shaw? Mismash makes sense since he has US Hockey experience. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Who? I mean, I like our team, but I don't think I can name 8.

Wolanin, The Euros? ... Are Pogo and Gerisch good enough to be on Team USA? Shaw? Mismash makes sense since he has US Hockey experience. 

our euros probably have less of a chance because they will be taking pros in europe

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Of course he said that. He isn't going to cut Ovechkin for leaving the team to play in the Olympics for Russia. The NHL is a star-driven league like any other professional sports league.

He's not the only owner saying there isn't much they can do to stop the players from going.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I don't think there will be a lockout. Just a bunch if suspensions when the players return.

There won't be any suspensions, I don't think.  No way would an owner suspend an Olympic caliber player once he returned.  And I don't think the league could suspend them for leaving, could they?  I know the NHL is not "participating" in the Olympics, but I'd be interested to see if they'd be able to suspend a player if they went.  Think of this example...if Drew Stafford's wife is giving birth to twins and he leaves the Bruins for a few days to be with her, he'd work that out with his team (the Bruins management), not the league.  The NHL wouldn't (and couldn't) suspend him for leaving for a few days to be with his wife.  Could they suspend Ovechkin for leaving for 2 weeks to play for Russia in the Olympics?  I guess maybe they could, but I'm doubtful.  My guess is that would be between Ovechkin and Ted Leonsis, not Ovechkin and the league.

All I can see that will happen is the player would not be paid for the time away from the team (like a fine) and they'll have to pay their own insurance, travel, etc.