SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Okay, but it just sounded like it.  And I don't think Phil Jackson and darrell1976 are comparable individuals (heck, Phil Jackson and anyone else on this forum aren't comparable).  Darrell1976 is just venting his frustration at the state of our MBB team, like a lot of people on here have been.

Is this Mrs. Darrell?  Simple question...

:hypocrite:

You are a man of great honor, thought and integrity when you anonymously call someone a prick and an idiot on a message board. Way below belt. Like I said earlier a metaphorical punch in the face from behind and dead sprint to the car.

I post my honest opinions regarding UND athletics and the Grand Forks community on this site and the vast majority of my posts are without personal adjectives. The post you redundantly mention is but the only post that describes Jones colorfully; the others I've posted on this subject all assess facts and preferred directions for UND MBB. Perhaps you could touch on them?

Posting anonymously does not alter the objective contents; therefore, debates regarding correctness are still very viable. If you believe identity shifts the realm of truth, then you're mistaken. The truth doesn't care who you are.

Debate the facts and leave it alone. Your offense to such a minor detail is quite telling.

So now regular attendance at MBB games is a prerequisite for being critical of the program?  Sorry, but that is pure Horse Hockey.  I am sure darell1976 watches games on television even if he can't make it up to Grand Forks to watch in-person.  I go to a couple of games each season (men's and women's), but having season hockey and football tickets eats up a lot of my weekends during the fall and winter months, so I think season basketball tickets are out of the question for me. Bottom line: More winning = more buzz = better attendance.

Are you saying youd go to more basketball games if UND didnt have hockey? Sure sounds like it.

And if the answer is yes. Id imagine there would be others like you that share the same feelings. We can be in denial out or not, but theres only so many people, money, and time in the area. And theres a lot of sporting events. Which is even more impressive UND is third in attendance in the conference (even if the betty was sold out itd still be third).

I post my honest opinions regarding UND athletics and the Grand Forks community on this site and the vast majority of my posts are without personal adjectives. The post you redundantly mention is but the only post that describes Jones colorfully; the others I've posted on this subject all assess facts and preferred directions for UND MBB. Perhaps you could touch on them, if you're capable?

Posting anonymously does not alter the objective contents; therefore, debates regarding correctness are still very viable. If you believe identity shifts the realm of truth, then you're more inept than I thought.

Debate the facts and leave it alone. Your offense to such a minor detail is quite telling of your stature.

This is bizarre. I was not addressing your other posts. I was responding to the post in which you called the guy a prick and an idiot. This would be called bias and prejudicial. Not facts. I have stated supporting facts regarding the challenges this staff faces. I don't think I need to state them again. I choose to get off the hamster wheel that is this thread. I choose instead to challenge just plain knucklehead statements. Keep it fair. Let Darrell hang himself with that stuff.

• Upvote 1

Even writing emails to UND adminsters tellinf them...quit screwing up the hiring process. If they listened to you we probably wouldnt be having this discussion.

Let's just say I cared a lot more back then.

Where are they now?:

Tom Brown--remained as an assistant at Winona State for eight more years, before finally getting a head coaching job at division II West Texas A & M this past spring.

Steve Weemer--continued to coach high school basketball in Illinois until 2013. Apparently out of coaching altogether now.

Randall Herbst--went on to a pretty successful two-year stint as head coach at University of Mary, before leaving to take an assistant coaching job at Omaha, where he remains today.

I post my honest opinions regarding UND athletics and the Grand Forks community on this site and the vast majority of my posts are without personal adjectives. The post you redundantly mention is but the only post that describes Jones colorfully; the others I've posted on this subject all assess facts and preferred directions for UND MBB. Perhaps you could touch on them?

Posting anonymously does not alter the objective contents; therefore, debates regarding correctness are still very viable. If you believe identity shifts the realm of truth, then you're mistaken. The truth doesn't care who you are.

Debate the facts and leave it alone. Your offense to such a minor detail is quite telling.

No dog in this fight but honestly, sometimes it's better to just quit when you're behind. Yesterday, it was junior high-level  name-calling regarding a coach you admittedly don't know personally. This AM, it appeared you might hurt yourself in silly verbal contortions rationalizing your out-burst. (For the life of me I haven't been able to identify the "objective contents" that support calling someone a "prick and an idiot.") This afternoon, it's personal attacks on posters who called you out on your comments. As the old cliche goes, the first thing to do when you're in a hole ... 

This is bizarre. I was not addressing your other posts. I was responding to the post in which you called the guy a prick and an idiot. This would be called bias and prejudicial. Not facts. I have stated supporting facts regarding the challenges this staff faces. I don't think I need to state them again. I choose to get off the hamster wheel that is this thread. I choose instead to challenge just plain knucklehead statements. Keep it fair. Let Darrell hang himself with that stuff.

You are correct; believing someone is a prick or an idiot would be considered subjectivity, not objectivity. I openly admit that because I stated above that the only post of mine you comment on is "colorful". In that post, I decided to use contextual words to describe Brian Jones as, and only as, the head MBB coach at UND. I would like you, however, to also focus on my opinions comprehensively, and not only focus on a single aspect of my opinion regarding this situation. Picking and choosing is the easy way out of debate.

Also, the current UND MBB staff certainly does face challenges, but does that make them immune to failing and incapability? I think not.

No dog in this fight but honestly, sometimes it's better to just quit when you're behind. Yesterday, it was junior high-level name-calling regarding a coach you admittedly don't know personally. This AM, it appeared you might hurt yourself in silly verbal contortions rationalizing your out-burst. (For the life of me I haven't been able to identify the "objective contents" that support calling someone a "prick and an idiot.") This afternoon, it's personal attacks on posters who called you out on your comments. As the old cliche goes, the first thing to do when you're in a hole ...

Well, I have admitted the comment which included the words prick and idiot was biased and opinionated; however, I also stated that opinions are apart of this debate and the majority of my posts are much less prejudicial. Please don't criticize my position while overlooking the entirety of my opinion on this issue. Although the biased words I chose to use could've been replaced with something more proper in terms of etiquette, I still believe their meanings to hold true. My "attempt at rationalization" was a contextual explanation and not a rebuttal, although I can see how it would appear as one. I don't believe myself to be in a "hole"; in my opinion, the poster who criticized my comment does not hold such an authority or jurisdiction capable of backing me into such a "hole".

Brian Jones is the current head coach for the men's basketball team at the University of North Dakota. He is a graduate ofUniversity of Northern Iowa. Jones was a longtime assistant on the coaching staffs of Steve Alford. While working with Alford, he participated in the Division I NCAA Tournament 4 times, once with Southwest Missouri St. and 3 times with Iowa. Jones was named the 18th head coach of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux basketball program on May 25, 2006. Under Jones' tenure at North Dakota, the University won back-to-back Great West Tournament Championships in 2011 and 2012, and he has led UND to three consecutive appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.  Sounds like Alford kept Jones around a long time. 

Brian Jones is the current head coach for the men's basketball team at the University of North Dakota. He is a graduate ofUniversity of Northern Iowa. Jones was a longtime assistant on the coaching staffs of Steve Alford. While working with Alford, he participated in the Division I NCAA Tournament 4 times, once with Southwest Missouri St. and 3 times with Iowa. Jones was named the 18th head coach of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux basketball program on May 25, 2006. Under Jones' tenure at North Dakota, the University won back-to-back Great West Tournament Championships in 2011 and 2012, and he has led UND to three consecutive appearances in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. Sounds like Alford kept Jones around a long time.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/041106aaw.html

"He will continue to oversee our video and scouting reports while taking on additional administrative assignments."

Alford demoted Jones prior to being hired at UND. He was moved to director of basketball operations and no longer considered an actual on-the-court assistant coach. Not a good event if looking for support of Jones' actual coaching/adjustments/game management capabilities.

You are correct; believing someone is a prick or an idiot would be considered subjectivity, not objectivity. I openly admit that because I stated above that the only post of mine you comment on is "colorful". In that post, I decided to use contextual words to describe Brian Jones as, and only as, the head MBB coach at UND. I would like you, however, to also focus on my opinions comprehensively, and not only focus on a single aspect of my opinion regarding this situation. Picking and choosing is the easy way out of debate.

Also, the current UND MBB staff certainly does face challenges, but does that make them immune to failing and incapability? I think not.

You're not understanding. It's not that I choose not to respond to your other posts, it's that I don't care what your other posts say. Because of the nature of these forums - no one has a shred of credibility. No one in here is credentialed. hell, you could be 9 years old with access to a thesaurus for all I know. As could I. Just choosing to call out someone who is out of line. If you truly are 9 years old, I hope I didn't scare you.

The following is each school's overall Big Sky record over the last almost three full years, minus Idaho.

43-13 Montana

38-17 Weber St.

31-24 Northern Arizona

30-25 Sac. St.

29-26 Eastern Washington

29-27 Northern Colorado

28-28 UND

24-31 Portland St.

23-33 Montana St.

16-39 Idaho St.

14-41 Southern Utah

The following are each school's overall Big Sky record over the last almost three full years, minus Idaho.

43-13 Montana

38-17 Weber St.

31-24 Northern Arizona

30-25 Sac. St.

29-26 Eastern Washington

29-27 Northern Colorado

28-28 UND

24-31 Portland St.

23-33 Montana St.

16-39 Idaho St.

14-41 Southern Utah

Gee .500 that describes Jones perfectly.

You're not understanding. It's not that I choose not to respond to your other posts, it's that I don't care what your other posts say. Because of the nature of these forums - no one has a shred of credibility. No one in here is credentialed. hell, you could be 9 years old with access to a thesaurus for all I know. As could I. Just choosing to call out someone who is out of line. If you truly are 9 years old, I hope I didn't scare you.

You don't care what my other posts say? Well,

your ignorance is to be expected, because, well, your post history has already formed a line of (or lack of) credibility for you on this site.

Credibility is only formed on this board via post history and content trends. If you require definite credentials, that's fine, but don't criticize posters on this board because they happen to be anonymous. If you absolutely need to know credentials, you can go ahead and rely on face-to-face conversations where you can swap bios, drink some coffee, and discuss whatever it is that floats your boat of credibility.

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/041106aaw.html

Alford demoted Jones prior to being hired at UND. He was moved to director of basketball operations and no longer considered an actual on-the-court assistant coach. Not a good event if looking for support of Jones' actual coaching/adjustments/game management capabilities.

Brian is a very detail-oriented person who has done an outstanding job in his scouting reports and tape breakdowns during the season," said Alford. "He will continue to oversee our video and scouting reports while taking on additional administrative assignments."  First Alford promoted Jones 5 years later he slightly demoted him while canning 2 other coaches.  Reading Comp lesson .. He has served as an assistant coach for the past five seasons, with his primary focus being opponent scouting and on-campus recruiting.  No mention of bench coaching.... Also was a reference for Jones in getting the UND  Job he could have told UND not hire Jones if he thought jones was a lousy bench coach.

You don't care what my other posts say? Well,

your ignorance is to be expected, because, well, your post history has already formed a line of (or lack of) credibility for you on this site.

Credibility is only formed on this board via post history and content trends. If you require definite credentials, that's fine, but don't criticize posters on this board because they happen to be anonymous. If you absolutely need to know credentials, you can go ahead and rely on face-to-face conversations where you can swap bios, drink some coffee, and discuss whatever it is that floats your boat of credibility.

It doesn't matter if you have posted 12 times or 10,000 times. You or I, for that matter, could be sitting in a padded cell in the state hospital (with Internet privledges I guess). This and this alone is why I don't care what your other posts say nor should you care about mine. Your bias is whack the coach. My bias is keep the coach. The difference is you call him a prick and an idiot. That I care about. Can't defend it with anything really. End of story. Move on to autographed jones posters, mrs jones stuff or bullcit.

It doesn't matter if you have posted 12 times or 10,000 times. You or I, for that matter, could be sitting in a padded cell in the state hospital (with Internet privledges I guess). This and this alone is why I don't care what your other posts say nor should you care about mine. Your bias is whack the coach. My bias is keep the coach. The difference is you call him a prick and an idiot. That I care about. Can't defend it with anything really. End of story. Move on to autographed jones posters, mrs jones stuff or bullcit.

I could care less how many times you - or anyone else - have purely posted, but you have posted several times today regarding nothing more than anonymous posting and subjective descriptions, and that content I do think is telling. Quality over quantity.