SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. SCSU - SATURDAY GAME 2

AZSIOUX

12 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

"Not much later, Nick Poehling would give St. Cloud its first lead of the night after numerous UND attempts to clear the puck. As the seesaw game continued, "

That was the second time St Cloud led the game...:)

OOPS ... the goals were coming so fast trying to get everything down.. thanks for the heads up!! 

Random question about the game last night.  On St. Cloud's non-second goal, why was the unsportsmanlike penalty called when the goal was waived off due to too many men?  I know it was the same guy, but they still called the unsportsmanlike.  Seems to me that if they were able to call that, that UND should have had a 5-on-3 power play.  Or at least just called too many men.  I'm just curious, because I can't follow the logic.

1 minute ago, George M. Bluth said:

Random question about the game last night.  On St. Cloud's non-second goal, why was the unsportsmanlike penalty called when the goal was waived off due to too many men?  I know it was the same guy, but they still called the unsportsmanlike.  Seems to me that if they were able to call that, that UND should have had a 5-on-3 power play.  Or at least just called too many men.  I'm just curious, because I can't follow the logic.

Cannot add a minor penalty found in a review, only to check the goal.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

its a bench minor for too many he got a taunting penalty, not a good idea to say something when the ref is right there breaking things up.  

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

True...but our D (both forwards and dman) was terrible last night.  When teams start playing wagon wheel hockey that's when good, solid, positionally sound teams make them pay. Cams numbers looked bad on paper but he truly bailed his team out.  Boys need to clean it up before next weekend.

Certainly fair. I was happy the way we played defensively on Friday and all but the third on Saturday. Also, we dominated defensively at Miami. I see the lack of defense being a testament to St. Cloud elevating their game in a big way in the third, last night. That being said, we can't let it happen and we absolutely need to tighten that kind of play up.

48 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

The unsportsmanlike penalty was called very shortly after the goal was scored.  It might have been due to taunting or something else he did toward UND players.  Then the potential issue of too many men on the ice was raised.  The play was reviewed and there were clearly 6 SCSU skaters plus a goalie on the ice.  The goal was waived off due to too many men, but a minor penalty cannot be called based on a review.  So while the goal was waived off, the officials could not penalize SCSU for too many men under the rules for reviews.  They also could not take away the unsportsmanlike penalty either.  So it became just a one man short power play instead of two men short.

• Upvote 1

What a great Monday morning, all primed by the Sioux/Hawks Sports kick ass weekend. 2 wins in MH to bring us to 11th in the Pairwise with the NCHC tournament in the cities this weekend and 3 WINS IN THE BIG SKY TOURNAMENT WITH #15 SEED TO THE DANCE IN SALT LAKE CITY STARTING THIS WEEKEND. Our friends to the south just have their shorts all bungled up. What a GREAT Monday morning!!!!!!!

• Upvote 3