SiouxSports.com Forum

Art in Grand Forks

Cratter

I think it's cool!  Granted, "Ghosts" could be better marked with signage and I think they still plan to light it so the installation is probably not done but the local conservative knuckledraggers on the radio have spent the last couple days crapping all over it and calling it junk.  Comments like "I don't GET IT?" or "I could do that and call it art!" 

So I ask them to ask themselves....if you think you COULD do that?  Why didn't you???

Public art evokes reaction.  Reactions promote conversation.  Conversation invigorates community.  Radio pays CRAP (we GET IT because you complain about IT so much!) so maybe you should go into public ART!  Maybe then you could make some money!

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

I think it's cool!  Granted, "Ghosts" could be better marked with signage and I think they still plan to light it so the installation is probably not done but the local conservative knuckledraggers on the radio have spent the last couple days crapping all over it and calling it junk.  Comments like "I don't GET IT?" or "I could do that and call it art!" 

So I ask them to ask themselves....if you think you COULD do that?  Why didn't you???

Public art evokes reaction.  Reactions promote conversation.  Conversation invigorates community.  Radio pays CRAP (we GET IT because you complain about IT so much!) so maybe you should go into public ART!  Maybe then you could make some money!

Old farm equipment eh?  My mom will be happy to learn it's not old garbage in her yard, but art.

• Upvote 1

Earlier this week I drove down 42nd and night and VOILA the "Ghosts" were lit up and looked pretty cool!  They're in a terrible place if you want to actually stop (no place to pull over and look - THAT was dumb) and they're spaced weirdly at not necessarily the best angles so it doesn't look like a cogent "piece" but YES!  The white machinery lit up on a snowy white background does evoke thoughts of the history of this region and ESPECIALLY the fact that 42nd was always just farm fields until the Alerus Center arrived and now it's slowly giving way to commercial development!   So the remnants of history TRULY are ghosts in this corridor!  Wow - think about that! 

I don't want to make the local idiots on talk radio strain their mental resources so I hate torturing JT, Ryan Cuntingham, the idiot after him, Chandler, Gene, Packer Girl, Farmer Ray and all the other 6 callers they have that say ..."THEY KNOWS ART WHEN THEY SEE IT and IT'S IN A MUSEUM!"

This isn't - never will be but it is available for you to drive by and see (AGAIN - at night is best!)

Try it...you might like it!!

• Upvote 1

I agree with UNDBIZ.   I'm going to start calling one of my pastures the Western Louvre Outdoor Museum.  

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Art...but I really don't understand how this is considered art.   Thousands of dollars donated to make grand forks more artsy, and this is one of the results?   Just seems silly.  Hopefully the next effort involves some sort of talent. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I agree with UNDBIZ.   I'm going to start calling one of my pastures the Western Louvre Outdoor Museum.  

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Art...but I really don't understand how this is considered art.   Thousands of dollars donated to make grand forks more artsy, and this is one of the results?   Just seems silly.  Hopefully the next effort involves some sort of talent. 

If you think Adam Kemp has no talent as an artist then maybe YOU should do the next art installation!   Everyone looks at something like this and thinks "I could do that!" 

SO WHY DON'T YOU???   If you think it's so easy....go ahead!  Put YOUR art out there for the public to comment on....      

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

If you think Adam Kemp has no talent as an artist then maybe YOU should do the next art installation!   Everyone looks at something like this and thinks "I could do that!" 

SO WHY DON'T YOU???   If you think it's so easy....go ahead!  Put YOUR art out there for the public to comment on....      

I never said that;  i'm sure he's a fine artist.  But as I mentioned, i don't see how this particular display involves any artistic talent.   

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Taxpayers likely wish it was just donated dollars going to the art corridor and supporting the various art councils....

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:54 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Taxpayers likely wish it was just donated dollars going to the art corridor and supporting the various art councils....

I agree after driving by twice tonight, once at dusk and once when its was completely dark. I appreciate the effort but execution was more than lacking. Maybe "Project 88" will turn out better....

On 1/30/2016 at 11:55 PM, gfNDfan said:

what exactly is adam kemp's full time job?

On 2/4/2016 at 10:52 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what exactly is adam kemp's full time job?

What's your full time job??

I'm sure some of us could find a LOT to criticize about YOU but as far as I know AK is a professional artist with a studio downtown by Urban Stampede and Sledsters.  I know him as a VERY nice guy from Australia who found GF a nice place to live and ply his trade.   He would happily go on the radio or tv to talk about this project with a sense of humor if someone would only ask him but why would the local knuckledraggers at KNOX or WDAZ bother?   

At WDAZ it's the "TEE HEE" Teen anchors" who make local news a joke and JARhead Thomas at KNOX is so lazy at talk radio he's happy to pluck the low hanging fruit everyday and "JUST BRING UP SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN BITCH ABOUT" and just focus on that....without ever checking into the facts or inviting the people involved on to talk.    BOTH of those entities could do so much better....why don't they?  WHAT'S THEIR JOB????

• Downvote 1

calm down...just a simple question..i've met him too and he is really really nice...i ask people if art pays the bills or what and no one has ever had a straight answer for me? just wondering if he was a teacher full time and artist part time...just a simple question.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

calm down...just a simple question..i've met him too and he is really really nice...i ask people if art pays the bills or what and no one has ever had a straight answer for me? just wondering if he was a teacher full time and artist part time...just a simple question.

I haven't talked to him lately, but in the past I believe he has worked in construction and woodworking plus taught art besides the money he has earned from selling his art. I know he has done a lot of camps and other programs for kids. Like many people, he probably has several sources of income.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Adam is from a small town northeast of London, England not Australia. He came to Grand Forks to get his Master's degree.

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

What's your full time job??

I'm sure some of us could find a LOT to criticize about YOU but as far as I know AK is a professional artist with a studio downtown by Urban Stampede and Sledsters.  I know him as a VERY nice guy from Australia who found GF a nice place to live and ply his trade.   He would happily go on the radio or tv to talk about this project with a sense of humor if someone would only ask him but why would the local knuckledraggers at KNOX or WDAZ bother?   

At WDAZ it's the "TEE HEE" Teen anchors" who make local news a joke and JARhead Thomas at KNOX is so lazy at talk radio he's happy to pluck the low hanging fruit everyday and "JUST BRING UP SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN BITCH ABOUT" and just focus on that....without ever checking into the facts or inviting the people involved on to talk.    BOTH of those entities could do so much better....why don't they?  WHAT'S THEIR JOB????

th?&id=OIP.M106b93229c32e5c3c2117da41ab6

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I haven't talked to him lately, but in the past I believe he has worked in construction and woodworking plus taught art besides the money he has earned from selling his art. I know he has done a lot of camps and other programs for kids. Like many people, he probably has several sources of income.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Adam is from a small town northeast of London, England not Australia. He came to Grand Forks to get his Master's degree.

This is correct.  As is the rest.  I've had the opportunity to work with Adam a few times, and no I'm not an artist, nor do I pretend to understand art.  I do like some of his work and other projects, I question if it truly is art.  Ultimately, Art is up individual interpretation.  

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

If art is up to individual interpretation as you're saying is so obvious, it's odd you seem intent on ripping everyone a new one who happens to have a different opinion than you do on a pile of old scrap iron pulled into town with some spotlights on it. 

You forgot the couple cans of spray paint they used. No wonder you don't understand it.