SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

UNDvince97-01

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had assumed that baseball was similar to basketball or hockey in that the regular season champion was viewed as more of a "real" champion, whereas the tournament champion was more for getting an auto bid to the NCAA's (in the cases of basketball and hockey, anyway). However, based upon the fact that nowhere in the Herald was there any mention of UND being considered the NCC champion (only the number one seed in the tournament), am I correct in assuming that there is no such thing as a regular season champion in baseball? If not, is there any particular reason for the completely different level of importance seemingly being placed on the regular season compared to basketball?

I had assumed that baseball was similar to basketball or hockey in that the regular season champion was viewed as more of a "real" champion, whereas the tournament champion was more for getting an auto bid to the NCAA's (in the cases on basketball and hockey, anyway). However, based upon the fact that nowhere in the Herald was there any mention of UND being considered the NCC champion (only the number one seed in the tournament), am I correct in assuming that there is no such thing as a regular season champion in baseball? If not, is there any particular reason for the completely different level of importance seemingly being placed on the regular season compared to basketball?

The NCC Champion is considered by the league to be the team that wins the NCC Tourney. A real curious thing IMO that the regular season champ doesn't really get a title to go along with their accomplishment. Definately something that should be reformed, it is a lot harder to win a regular season title then to have to win 3-4 games and take home a conference tourney title.

I somewhat agree, but I think in baseball you have the tournament decides the champ, because in most years, not everyone plays everyone equal. You could have rain outs, etc.

You wouldn't want a team winning the league title with a 18-7 record beating someone with a 17-7 record. Play it on the field. Football, volleyball, basketball and other sports that play everyone equal and you know you'll get the games in, then the regular season should be the champion

nickelboy....then you might want to call the commissioner of the NCC since that is who the team checked with on the suspensions???

I do not agree that the tourney champ should decide who wins the conference, I would rather see the NCC do away with the conference tourney unless the winner gets a automatic bid, otherwise its senseless....so the team who won the regular season title could be done in2 games??? congrats on a great season and see you later....doesnt make much sense....I would rather see all the teams play twice during the regular season unless the conference tourney gets the automatic bid....

nickelboy....then you might want to call the commissioner of the NCC since that is who the team checked with on the suspensions???

I do not agree that the tourney champ should decide who wins the conference, I would rather see the NCC do away with the conference tourney unless the winner gets a automatic bid, otherwise its senseless....so the team who won the regular season title could be done in2 games??? congrats on a great season and see you later....doesnt make much sense....I would rather see all the teams play twice during the regular season unless the conference tourney gets the automatic bid....

I believe that in yesterday's article, the Herald said that next year the NCAA starts auto bids.

The new region poll....

Central Region

1. Central Missouri State 48-6

2. North Dakota 36-14

3. Emporia State 35-17

4. Wayne State (Nebraska) 39-16

5. Minnesota State Mankato 32-16

6. Missouri Western State 32-16

7. North Dakota State 28-22

8. Southwest Minnesota State 29-20

UND moved up to #2. Mankato dropped from 4 to 5 after going 3-3 last week. The Sioux are in great position to go into the regional ranked no lower then 3rd no matter the results of the conference tourney. The game today will feature the NCC's 2 best starting pitchers, with Scheving likely facing Hoegh from Augie who is a lefty that is 8-0 with about a 2.8 ERA and only 15ish walks in 74 innings, and 73 Ks. He will likely either be drafted or sign a pro contract after the draft. He got a no-decision against UND earlier this year.

yeah. i don't know where they are comin from for these selections...here is the site link

2003 NCAA DIVISION II BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SELECTIONS

INDIANAPOLIS---The NCAA Division II Baseball Committee has selected the 32 teams that will participate in the 2003 NCAA Division II Baseball Championship.

The regionals will comprise four teams competing in double-elimination tournaments. Eight regional competitions will be played May 15-17, at eight on-campus sites. Regional champions will advance to the double-elimination championship finals May 24-31, 2003, at Paterson Field in Montgomery, Alabama, which will be hosted by Valdosta State University and the city of Montgomery.

In the 2002 championship, Columbus State University claimed its first NCAA championship title by defeating California State University, Chico, 5-3.

This year marks the 36th annual championship, and the 19th consecutive year that the finals will be held in Montgomery, Alabama.

SITES/PAIRINGS:

*Denotes host institution

Central Regional at Warrensburg, Missouri

1. *Central Missouri State 44-7

2. Rockhurst 29-15

3. Northwest Missouri State 35-15

4. Minnesota Duluth 36-11

North Atlantic Regional at Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania

1. *Slippery Rock 44-10

2. West Chester 32-11

3. Shippensburg 29-20

4. Kutztown 24-13

North Central Regional at Allendale, Michigan

1. Missouri-St. Louis 39-13

2. *Grand Valley State 37-12-1

3. Indianapolis 37-20

4. Ashland 36-18-1

Northeast Regional at Lowell, Massachusetts

1. *Massachusetts-Lowell 30-10

2. Dowling 29-9

3. Franklin Pierce 27-15

4. New Haven 26-10

South Regional at Lakeland, Florida

1. *Florida Southern 42-11

2. Tampa 38-16

3. Presbyterian 27-24

4. Tusculum 33-18

South Atlantic Regional at Jacksonville, Florida

1. *North Florida 37-16

2. Armstrong Atlantic State 36-13

3. Kennesaw State 33-16

4. Francis Marion 29-18

South Central Regional at Cleveland, Mississippi

1. *Delta State 49-8

2. Central Oklahoma 43-11

3. Abilene Christian 42-18

4. Southeastern Oklahoma State 38-13

West Regional at Hays, Kansas

1. Sonoma State 44-13-1

2. *Fort Hays State 44-13

3. Western Oregon 40-13

4. UC Davis 32-22

Come on, those were the funniest postings I've ever read. Did you belive those teams were getting in?

I think it will be Central Mo of course, Wayne State, Emporia State and UND. Maybe Mankato, but for sure not NDSU.

It's 10:09 on Sunday. The NCAA is horrible about this for softball and baseball. Set a time to release it and let people know! This is a joke

That seeding doesn't make any sense either. Sioux go into the week at #2, ahead of #3 Emporia. Sioux go 1-2 in the conference tourney, losing to #5 Mankato and #7 NDSU. Emporia goes 0-2 and loses to 2 teams not ranked in the region. The Sioux then drop below Emporia?? The NCAA at its finest.