SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Baseball

UNDvince97-01

There never seems to be any discussion in regards to the UND baseball team, so I figured i'd start something on it because I love the game of baseball so much, and i really enjoyed attending the UND games in the spring when i was in school.

The team is currently 3-5 heading into their annual road-trip to Florida for their 9 game swing. After they return, they begin their NCC season against Augustana in a 4 game series at Sioux Falls. Offensively, they are led by soph. 3B Troy Wasilowski, who is hitting .429 with 3 homeruns. Senior SS Mark Olson is batting .406, with Jason Fairchild and Ross Olson hitting at a .375 clip. It seems to me that the pitching staff will have to improve a lot for the rest of the season. I don't think they can count on scoring 10-11 runs a game for the rest of the season. Although JJ Scheving is 2-0 with an ERA of 0.69! Other than him, the pitching is mediocre at this point. I know it is still early, and improvement can and will be made throughout the season, but there has to be at least 2 other pitchers that step up and assert themselves as solid 2 and 3 starters in the rotation. Also, i think OF Brad Jaeger has to step it up for the rest of the season and provide more offense. Hopefully he can repeat last year's Florida trip where he went off on the pitching down there. But this year he has avoid going into a slump like he did last year after the Florida trip. Here is the link to the team stats http://fightingsioux.com/sports/baseball/d...asp?PAGE_ID=104. Anyone who has any idea of who is favored in the NCC this year, or your take on the team, please feel free to share. Good luck to the team as they head to Florida.

GO SIOUX!!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There never seems to be any discussion in regards to the UND baseball team, so I figured i'd start something on it because I love the game of baseball so much, and i really enjoyed attending the UND games in the spring when i was in school.

The team is currently 3-5 heading into their annual road-trip to Florida for their 9 game swing. After they return, they begin their NCC season against Augustana in a 4 game series at Sioux Falls. Offensively, they are led by soph. 3B Troy Wasilowski, who is hitting .429 with 3 homeruns. Senior SS Mark Olson is batting .406, with Jason Fairchild and Ross Olson hitting at a .375 clip. It seems to me that the pitching staff will have to improve a lot for the rest of the season. I don't think they can count on scoring 10-11 runs a game for the rest of the season. Although JJ Scheving is 2-0 with an ERA of 0.69! Other than him, the pitching is mediocre at this point. I know it is still early, and improvement can and will be made throughout the season, but there has to be at least 2 other pitchers that step up and assert themselves as solid 2 and 3 starters in the rotation. Also, i think OF Brad Jaeger has to step it up for the rest of the season and provide more offense. Hopefully he can repeat last year's Florida trip where he went off on the pitching down there. But this year he has avoid going into a slump like he did last year after the Florida trip. Here is the link to the team stats http://fightingsioux.com/sports/baseball/d...asp?PAGE_ID=104. Anyone who has any idea of who is favored in the NCC this year, or your take on the team, please feel free to share. Good luck to the team as they head to Florida.

GO SIOUX!!!

A little birdie told me they are a little thin on the hill and very young there and are playing a lot of young hitters. There is a hole in LF that needs to be filled, but they are very solid up the middle. The NCC will be down, with Mankato and Augie having to be the favorites.

a birdie huh....nice.......here are some of my thoughts as if you wanted to hear them......

Losing Nicke Weiland, Metzinger(sp?) and Van Loy three pitchers that were expected to contribute has not helped the situation too much, 8 something era as a staff is not too good.....all that being said Ross Olson has 5 HR's in 7 games, I would say Carter Rogalla's HR record could be in jeopardy, he has 38 games to get 16 HR's very do able, bright future for him as he is only a freshman, and Wasilowski and Fairchild are only sophomores, great cornerstones to build around

Coach Z is definitely looking for arms, Scheving is pitching very well, Schlangen, Johnson, Sukut and Reinke need to get going!!!!

Have heard the bull pen is very thin due to the three pitchers the Sioux have lost, so a lot of complete games may need to be pitched, that being said, Z has two good left handed pitchers coming in next year and another birdie told me Nick Weiland will be back next year, sounds like the boys are possibly a year away?? never want to say that but...could be.....

A little birdie, that's right. They will be off to sunny FL in a few hours here, going to have to keep up with them, but it is a busy weekend, hockey, women's bball, state HS hoops tourney this weekend, and UCLA begins their run to the PAC-10 tourney title tonight as well. This is the best time of year. Hopefully all the Sioux's arms can come through, patch together some wins, and you never know.

What happened to the three pitchers? Are they in school, just not playing? Are they playing elsewhere?

Drew Vanloy is taking a medical redshirt, and Nick Weiland is taking a normal redshirt after not doing so his FR year, and Metzger was essentailly homesick and went back to the Mankato area.

Sioux baseball won two games Sunday in Florida, JJ Scheving pitched a shutout complete game and also Travis Johnson got the other win, and also today already the Sioux have one win, its on the web page..fightingsioux.com......Ross Olson has 6 HR's already....and batting 375....he is on fire....

• 2 weeks later...

Sioux beat defending NCC tourney champ Augie in 3/4 for the second straight year. JJ "Toddler Hands" Scheving picking up another win to improve to 4-0 with an ERA around 1 and a K to BB ratio of around 4:1, on pace to challenge the legend Mike Rerick's K marks. I still think they are a year away, but having USD in what is supposed to be a home series next weekend, they should be sitting pretty at minimum 6-2 in the NCC after 2 weekends as USD is not very solid as usual. The hitters are hitting and pitchers are getting the job done, I'd anticipate some kind of poll appearance this week for them, votes at least.

It is great to see the hard work of these guys pay off. Imagine how good they could be if they did not have to practice indoors until April!! It has to be tough to come and practice indoors for 3 months :) . One thing that I hope does not end up hurting us is riding the pitchers arms until they are shot. What is wrong with using relief pitchers? JJ for example has a career history of arm problems. He already has pitched 3 complete games. At this rate how long will he be in the starting rotation? I wish we could develop a rotation that used some relief to preserve the arms of the starters. It seems that we have a ton of pitchers. SOme have to have some ability to keep hitters off balance for 1 inning (or more). Plus it gives the younger pitchers experience. I know the pitchers want to go the full distance, but think of the big picture (no pun).

atc,

How can you say that about riding pitchers arms? I know what you do for a profession, but in baseball you have to ask and respect the opinion of the player himself as far as how he feels. Have you ever played baseball? JJ is at least 16 months off of major injury and Ziegler wouldn't play his stud if he didn't feel that he was at least 95%, no coach would. Also, I cannot believe that you can criticize Ziegler for now having some sort of rotation. Do you think he has no idea what he is doing? I don't play for him, never had, so don't think that I'm just patting his back. Know the sport you are talking about and how it is coached before you attempt to say something intelligent about the sport. Greatly appreciated!

Hey Nuc. Apparently you know about half of what you are talking about. If you knew more, you would know where I am coming from. I am not raging on Z-man as you imply. Though my wording does sound that way. I have seen the guy coach and work and he is very competitive. He wants to win and wants his guys to win. I realize that college coaching is not an ideal situation and you have to coach/make decision based on what you have for a staff. I just hope our starters last the season. If they do, they should have a very good season.

And you are correct, I see these guys come and go all the time, so I do have an idea about their injuries/arms.

they lost to bemidji state. they blow.

It's baseball, anyone can lose to anyone on any given day, that is waht makes it different from other sports. The Detroit Tigers are 3-0 right now, I don't think they won 3 in a row all year last year. Was it a crappy loss? Sure, but it is baseball, and those things happen every year. Crookston beat Southwest St last weekend, and Southwest is ranked #5 in the region, 2 spots ahead of the Sioux.

looks like the games for this weekend got moved up to today and tomorrow because of weather. i may have to make it out for the games tomorrow in st. cloud. doubleheaders are today and tomorrow at 1 and 3 pm. anyone gonna go watch them?

Good luck with the weather tommorrow. The St Cloud coach told Zig they may not get games in on any other day then today, wether is supposed to be terrible. You should call Lorny, he was going to them today or tommorow.

Big doubleheader with NDSU tomorrow - what is the weather supposed to be like up there? Hopefully, we will have a good crowd there. It will be interesting to see how the webcast of the games turns out.

I assume Scheving will pitch tomorrow. Any idea who the other starter will be tomorrow?

We must not have much team speed. Per NCC stats, we have only stolen three bases in our 12 conference games.