SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Fighting Hawks vs. UNO Mavericks - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

So if one player can singlehandedly beat UND, what does that say about us?  You might also want to ask Duluth what they think about us, as the only reason we beat them on Friday was a goaltending effort for the ages.  So does that make Duluth better than us?  Winning is the bottom line, and Omaha is going to be in the tournament, so at that point in a one game shot they can beat anybody.

Guentzel and Ortega did sort of beat us on their own. Can you think of one decent scoring opportunity they had that wasn't directly set up by those two or shot by them? And Guentzel and Ortega are dang good players. Teams have won in the NCAA tournament with one good line and little else. Contain that line and Omaha is a less than mediocre team.

Based on our games against Duluth, I would think their fans would like their chances against us. There is a reason they were the preseason pick to win the conference. St. Cloud probably likes their chances against us as well. Denver probably wouldn't because we thoroughly outplayed them in December. I would think that all three of those teams would like their chances against Omaha based on how they played against Omaha. And out of Omaha, SCSU, UMD, and Denver; Omaha is the one I would feel most confident against. I'm guessing Omaha fans would feel good about playing any of the others as well. 

I'm also not certain Omaha makes the tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if they went 4-8 or worse in their remaining games before tournament time. They have to play two teams that have already swept them (WMU and Denver) and two teams that I think are significantly better than them (UND and SCSU). They struggled with Miami when they played them earlier in the year and CC has been playing better recently (5-5 in last 10). Omaha does have a pretty bad history of crapping the bed as well.

They most likely will make the NCAA's and the last few years have shown us anyone can win it (Yale and Providence). Omaha could as well since they have Ortega and Guentzel. Those two alone make them a good team. I just wasn't impressed at all by anyone else on their team.

3 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Did anyone else notice Blais changed 5 players on an icing?

Speaking of Deano, did they retire that green blazer of his or did it end up at a garage sale somewhere?

And does he have an (whatever color it is) equivalent at UNO?