SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Fargo

The Sicatoka

UND is soon to be offering more courses on its Fargo mini-campus.

Of course, UND's neighbor to the south is upset by this. They are claiming its bad policy to let UND offer these courses in Fargo, claiming duplication and competition for students is wrong.

But not that long ago, like last summer, that same school claimed that duplication and competition was good and cost (to taxpayers) wasn't an issue.

Funny how stories change when your not on the "giving" end of it.

The Story

UND expands Fargo offerings

By Mike Nowatzki

The Forum - 03/05/2004

Their athletic rivalry may be on the way out, but the academic rivalry is just heating up.

The University of North Dakota, which already has a medical school campus attached to the Veteran Affairs Medical Center in Fargo, has established a new campus inside the building.

Right in North Dakota State University

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.state.nd.us/lr/assembly/57-2001...s/pdf/39308.pdf

Degree duplication wasn't invented at NDSU.

-UND add a Pharmacology doctorate in 1995. NDSU has had a well-respected program for a lot longer than that.

-UND added a Criminal Justice doctorate in 2002 after getting the SBHE to hold back NDSU's program a full year (NDSU had 25 students who were going to enroll but who had to wait a year).

-UND added a communication doctorate in 2001, the year after NDSU.

-UND added a phsyics doctorate back in the '70s well after NDSU started one.

How about the masters degrees in Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Technology (IE by another name still is IE), Mechanical Engineering, and Pharmacolgy? Don't think NDSU had them already?

[The University of North Dakota at Phoenix.

Maybe Chaps & Co. can get them to join the Great Waste Conference. ???

The issue isn't about "duplication" so much as the profound fear of competition that Smokin' Joe and "The Economist" exhibit. If 'SU were truly filling the needs of its local market, UND probably wouldn't bother expanding there. Then again, UND probably wouldn't waste its money on building a "Downtown Campus" 10 minutes from its main campus. Moreover, SOTAs are a major segment of the educational market for evening and part-time classes, especially as people move into different careers. If 'SU cannot or will not meet that need, they deserve every shot they take.

BTW: Did UND not receive a nice fat tract of land off I-29 last year? :):lol:

Hey, I'm not saying UND can't put ads for students in Fargo. That's where the people are.

All I was trying to do was point out that before people start hollering about program duplication, they should get their facts straight.

I don't understand why you brought up Chapman, NDSU athletics, and the downtown campus just to smirk and sneer at them. Does that somehow make UND better?

Hell, if NDSU is that terrible and Chapman that incompetent, you'd be well advised to find yourself better benchmarks.

I don't understand why you brought up Chapman, NDSU athletics, and the downtown campus just to smirk and sneer at them. Does that somehow make UND better?

And I don't understand why you repeatedly bring up Kupchella, Thomas, and Grand Forks just to smirk and sneer at them ON A SIOUX BOARD, NO LESS. Does that somehow make NDSU better? Or does it just make you a UND hating troll?

How far do you want to take this "duplication" and "facts" thing?

How about:

University of North Dakota - established 1883

North Dakota Agricultural College* - established 1890

Anything beyond ag that NDSU does is duplication, right?

* Later renamed North Dakota State University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

DamStrait, if UND posters would only stop trashing NDSU I'd be gone so fast you wouldn't believe it. Beyond that, I have no idea what you're talking about.

The Sicatoka, I get the feeling you don't know what land grant universities are all about. If I understand your point, you are trying to say that any degree NDSU offers that isn't agriculturally-related is a duplication even if UND doesn't offer it. That doesn't make sense.

No, no, no, that's

The University of North Dakota at Phoenix.

See all the UND Aerospace distance learning campuses here.

I thought UND had gotten rid of that branch. Or did they change facilities? Maybe it's still there, but one of the buildings had University of North Dakota in big letters on the side.

Hell, if NDSU is that terrible and Chapman that incompetent, you'd be well advised to find yourself better benchmarks.

Chaps & Co. are less "benchmarks" than object-lessons in piss poor management. They should be thankful they're not in the private sector.

FIRST MORRILL ACT. July 2, 1862. AN ACT Donating Public Lands to the several States and Territories which may provide Colleges for the Benefit of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

SECOND MORRILL ACT. August 30, 1890. AN ACT To apply a portion of the proceeds of the public lands to the more complete endowment and support of the colleges for the benefit of agriculture and the mechanic arts established under the provisions of an act of Congress approved July second, eighteen hundred and sixty-two.

The land grant concept was needed at one time, namely a century and a half ago. The facilities to educate, to drive the country, would not have happened in that era without the Morrill Act.

Now, in today's world, the land grant designation is used by those with it to shut out non-land grant institutions that are qualified to do certain (primarily Federal) research from even bidding on it.

It has gone from a wonderful concept (promoting education of the general populace) to a licence to keep some from competing fairly and evenly for research dollars. But the land grants cling firmly to that century old designator as some sort of badge of honor.

PS - I'll avoid the words "Agriculture and Mechanic Arts" and the word "duplication" regarding other programs at land grants for now.

ScottM, didn't Ralph say something remarkably similar about President Kupchella? I love the smell of irony in the morning ???

Oh mighty Hydras of specious arguments, I concede that you can come up with two complaints about NDSU for every one I counter. You sure do produce a lot of arguments. Maybe you should spend more time crafting intelligent ones.