SiouxSports.com Forum

UND - Fargo

The Sicatoka

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potts described the dust-up as "a little bump in the road" and a natural part of competition between schools.

Looks like Chaps really is a scumbag, or he chapped his lips on Potts' ass or some other body part. He and his toadies tout "competition" and then run like a bunch of candy-asses to the chancellor when it gets tough. Poor babies. Makes you wonder how they prepare their students for the "real world", or D1 competition. ;)

I think you guys are a little off on this one. While UND's presence in Fargo via their distance learning was a good thing for the community, the institution has to deal as much with politics as it does with academics.

Naming an institution UND-Fargo is a pretty big deal.

I don't see why you would refer to our President as a scumbag though? I definitely don't hold Kupchella in that regard. Actually, in many ways he'll bare the brunt of this for a mistake that Isaac made when allowing UND to go forward with a politically stupid move.

Politics removed, it's a bad deal for those in Fargo who were almost assuredly given better service with a physical presence from their school in town.

I don't see why you would refer to our President as a scumbag though?  I definitely don't hold Kupchella in that regard.  Actually, in many ways he'll bare the brunt of this for a mistake that Isaac made when allowing UND to go forward with a politically stupid move.

Politics removed, it's a bad deal for those in Fargo who were almost assuredly given better service with a physical presence from their school in town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can filling a void in distance and OTA Student learning be politically stupid? If Chaps hadn't been so blinded by his own hubris in going D1, and building a "downtown campus" 10 minutes away from the main campus in "traffic choked" Fargo, he could have served the community. As it was, UND stepped in and met the market. Then Chaps has the temerity to whine to the spineless Chancellor about UND's opportunism in meeting the educational needs of the region. And yes, I think Chaps is a scumbag for not having the stones to address competition head-on, after so publicly touting it. On one hand UND thinks regionally, and 'SU doesn't see beyond West Acres or the Red River.

Potts said NDSU President Joseph Chapman and others expressed concerns about the Fargo Center. He said his decision to intervene was prompted in part by negative comments posted in The Forum's online chat room.

It is nice to know the North Dakota University System Chancellor makes policy decisions based on a bitch-fest by people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. I read a blog about a guy in North Dakota claiming "black" helicopters from the federal government are spying on us. Maybe Potts should force all University buildings be lined with tinfoil to prevent the government from reading our minds.

Who's being the weasel?

"The second part of Potts' letter aimed to patch another rift that arose when UND's telemedicine program contacted Sen. Byron Dorgan -- without NDSU's knowledge -- about a collaborative project with NDSU's telepharmacy program."

Also, contrary to what ScottM said, NDSU was already offerring a doctorate in education when UND moved in, so we were taking the lead in that area.

Who's being the weasel?

"The second part of Potts' letter aimed to patch another rift that arose when UND's telemedicine program contacted Sen. Byron Dorgan -- without NDSU's knowledge -- about a collaborative project with NDSU's telepharmacy program."

Also, contrary to what ScottM said, NDSU was already offerring a doctorate in education when UND moved in, so we were taking the lead in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, do ya think contacting Dorgan before contacting 'SU might have been more an issue to inquire about federal funding, rather than trying to ruin Chaps' bender at the Bison Turf? :huh:

'SU offering a program then complaining because UND offers a similar program doesn't really lend itself to the "competition thing" Chaps and his toadies kept trotting out. More of a fear of competition. Good thing to instill in your students. Keeps 'em on welfare or farm subsidies. ;)

you obviously have no idea what the telepharmacy situation was/is

ndsu developed a program (telepharmacy)

UND wanted to develop a VAGUELY similar program (distance-medical)

UND wanted to take what NDSU had done & the MONEY they had to manage/operate their new program, there is a difference between collaboration and taking someone else's program

as an academic myself, sh-t like that can lead to seriously upset researchers, especially when you realize that a university/department takes a 40% cut off the top for administration

so yeah, taking $340,000 ($850*.4) out of NDSU's pocket is a VERY big deal

And that was a source of a whole other controversy started by NDSU: duplication of programs. (The answer there was competition is good.) UND had been offering doctorates in education long before. Now competition is bad.

The question about UMary-Fargo Center is classic! Sister Thomas Welder is lucky she only takes calls from Rome, and not Dr. Potts.

it's not the duplication

it's the fact that UND opened a "Center" in Fargo

students will still be able to continue their programs

it was the 'packaging' of the program that got NDSU and the SBHE riled up. the program must be administered from Grand Forks and UND may no longer advertise "UND-Fargo"

it's not the duplication

it's the fact that UND opened a "Center" in Fargo

students will still be able to continue their programs

it was the 'packaging' of the program that got NDSU and the SBHE riled up.  the program must be administered from Grand Forks and UND may no longer advertise "UND-Fargo"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I imagine that this will be next on Chapman's chopping block. ;)

As a compromise, perhaps something like this would soothe President Champan's bruised ego:

UND-At An Undisclosed Location In Cass County

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would really chap Chaps' hide if Dick Cheney enrolled there. ???:huh:

Can't spell "Scum" without "SU". ;)

Kupchella better dust of his resume......The Chancellor will have his head.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not so sure the Chancellor shouldn't be the one to dust off his resume. This was a poor way of handling this whether he was right or not. NDSU officials have a past history of submarining programs from other state institutions uncluding UND. They have a long history of duplicating programs already in place at UND such as the Business, Accounting or Nursing programs (the last time I looked they still didn't have an accredited College of Business). They have duplicate Engineering programs at the two schools some of which are better at UND and some of which are better at NDSU.

Having said that the Chancell0r should be concerned when one of his PhD types at NDSU can't spell Bismarck.

I am concerned that Kuppy got his lunch handed to him on this. Clifford would have eaten Chapmann's barn and crapped the hay. (I am sorry about being vulgar but I wanted our AC cousins to understand).

I would caution all of the folks wearing the cass county jump suits, bib overalls and living in the double wides. Don't piss off the sleeping giant otherwise known as the UND Alumni. The Chancellor would loose his job over that one.

I am not so sure the Chancellor shouldn't be the one to dust off his resume. This was a poor way of handling this whether he was right or not. NDSU officials have a past history of submarining programs from other state institutions uncluding UND. They have a long history of duplicating programs already in place at UND such as the Business, Accounting or Nursing programs (the last time I looked they still didn't have an accredited College of Business). They have duplicate Engineering programs at the two schools some of which are better at UND and some of which are better at NDSU.

Having said that the Chancell0r should be concerned when one of his PhD types at NDSU can't spell Bismarck.

I am concerned that Kuppy got his lunch handed to him on this. Clifford would have eaten Chapmann's barn and crapped the hay. (I am sorry about being vulgar but I wanted our AC cousins to understand).

I would caution all of the folks wearing the cass county jump suits, bib overalls and living in the double wides. Don't piss off the sleeping giant otherwise known as the UND Alumni. The Chancellor would loose his job over that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Intelligent post. I'm sure President Chapman is shaking in his boots at the thought of feeling the wrath of the UND alumni. ;)