SiouxSports.com Forum

New Conference for NDSU......

WYOBISONMAN

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, NDSU is going to have to think up a whole bunce of new taunts for their Confrance foes now. Here, lets the ball rolling for them.

One that GVSU found to be quite clever against UC Davis, and would work for all of them California teams is, "Where's your surfboard?"

For Utah, just have every guy show up with 2 or 3 women if they can, perhaps even a blowup doll or two. :0

N. Colorado, oh, this will be mean. Panties on the end of a fishing pole. :);)

I'm sure that should give them a good start on bugging those guys, and leaving the Sioux alone. ;)

To all ndsu- who cares about your new website, especially on here?! It will be as much fun watching you hang your head, possibly even cry when your club doesnt even compete at the next level, as it is watching you NEVER have the nickel again. Dont complain about a rivalry either, what is a rivalry? Something important to both clubs. When UND and ndsu were playing games that meant either one or the other was going to win the conference, thats a rivalry. Not adding 23 more fb scholarships. You havent been competitive in DII for how long? Oh wait, I forgot you had 8 wins last yr, cried for a month about not making the playoffs and watched UND play for a natl title. Please youre wasting our time with your new conference!

Bison fans - no smartass comments from me. It certainly will help your cause to be in a conference right away and with three teams that your fans can relate to (UNC, SDSU and Davis). It hadn't sounded like a conference was possible for this upcoming year so this was very good news for you.

I have said from the start that the SU move to DIAA in FB would be a good move - despite a few tough years during the transition. I have also said from the start that, with the possible exception of wrestling, the move to DI will be disasterous in all other sports. We will see if I am right or wrong. All this being said, UND may join you soon if FB scholarships are cut again.

Congratulations on the new football-only conference.

What are your

Mens Basketball

Womens Basketball

Baseball

Softball

Mens Cross Country

Womens Cross Country

Mens Golf

Womens Golf

Womens Soccer

Mens Indoor Track

Mens Outdoor Track

Womens Indoor Track

Womens Outdoor Track

Womens Volleyball

Mens Wrestling

teams going to do for a schedule now?

Put another way: One down, Fifteen to go. :)

I have said from the start that the SU move to DIAA in FB would be a good move - despite a few tough years during the transition. I have also said from the start that, with the possible exception of wrestling, the move to DI will be disasterous in all other sports. We will see if I am right or wrong. All this being said, UND may join you soon if FB scholarships are cut again.

I agree 100%. I'll pay attention to the new conference because IMO NDSU's level of succes will determine what UND's future holds. If that FB success is there early, I'm inclined ot think that the Sioux will move sooner rather then later, not to mention the fact that there is a new conference out there that is sitting at only 7 members, no doubt looking for more. The AD's (except Oien) need to be congratulated on their good and hard work in putting this conference together, it may be a blessing for the Sioux a few years down the road.

Obviously the reason I posted it on here is I know more than a few UND fans have an interest in what happend to the Bison over the next few years. For me....I am excited about the conference as it assures I will have a football game every year that is within reasonable driving distance for me....I would think the FB conference relationships will also translate into scheduling for other sports as well (the wrestling conference may also help out in that way).

Didn't read the link, so maybe it was answered there. Is NDSU giving up on the Big Sky now, or will they bolt this new alliance at the drop of a hat?

WYOBISON: This new conference will get you some games in other sports, but other sports have 2 to 3 times as many games as football.

I agree with someone earlier. I think FB will be fine and maybe wrestling could pull something magical, but boy I truly believe every other sport is screwed.

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

What I have heard is that the rules for the new FB conference require a one year notice to leave the conference. If NDSU were to get an invite from the BSC I would suspect we would bolt, however, once the other sports find conference homes I suspect that urge to bolt would be reduced......My bias is I would like them in the BSC....more games I could drive to.

Also....I would suspect Davis will be pretty tough next year as will UNC, Cal Poly and NDSU.....should be an interesting first year...

Taylor should be congratulated on putting together the Great West Conference so quickly. At least the players will have a real tangible goal to work toward until 2008.

It is rather strange that almost exactly one year ago on this date, the idea of this conference was posted on this forum. At that time, the idea wasn’t exactly accepted with open arms. Apparently, times do change! The next school to get a Big Sky invite will be, almost without question, Southern Utah. The next invitee, Northern Colorado, will not be made until their football provisional period is over, at the earliest. Good luck with the basketball conference, as that chore will be much more difficult.

The following I-AA football conference is just begging to happen:

NDSU

SDSU

UNColorado

SouthernUtah

Cal Poly-SLO

St. Mary's (Calif)

Cal-Davis

The likelihood of this football-only conference forming, in my opinion, is > 75%.

For non-football sports, the difficulty in forming a conference will be monumental in comparison. It is almost inevitable that some sort of conference would be attempted from the following four schools, as there will be no other options for them:

NDSU / SDSU

Northern Colorado / Utah Valley State

Only two other schools would be needed, (preferably four), and those pairs would need to be travel partners. Possible candidates would be:

Wayne State (Mich)/ IP-Fort Wayne (or Grand Valley State)

Texas A&M U-Corpus Christi / UTexas-Pan American

Central Oklahoma / Central Missouri

IP-Fort Wayne, TAMUCC, and UTPA would all hesitate as they are already full Div I members. IPFW has a reasonable chance of joining an established conference soon, but the Texas schools are getting desperate. None of the other schools have publicly announced Div I plans, but the availability of a conference would greatly reduce their risk in moving forward. Central Oklahoma would actually be shooting for Southland Conference membership, as that conference is actively seeking more football-playing members.... 

This new conference is a glorified NCC at best. St. Mary's is holding out for some reason, so there may only be six teams in this GREAT conference. And there great press conference that they had, which everybody already knew about, was to mention there schedule. I think everybody was waiting to see if Montana or montana St. was going to be mentioned on it. Well not yet. They did however mention them beating montana for the 10,000 time this year. And what's up with them saying they have a great rivalry with uc-davis. Everybody is going to be NDSU's rival now because that's the biiissson way to do it. Good Luck.

And ST. MARY'S in the first place?:) Anyone check out their athletic facilities?? They're a 2500 student private school with a rickety old stadium that seats 5,500 -- WOW!! I'm blown away by the glamor of DI-AA!! They sound like the Morningside of the NCC and will likely be (if they join) a punching bag for a few years before the travel costs kill them. BUT HEY!! The Bison need home dates and imagine the excitement of bringing the GAELS to the Fargodome!! (...was that a tumbleweed blowing through the barn?...)

All these stadiums in the new conference only holds around 8,000 people and I doubt they they are ever filled when they are playing a nobody. Of course the bison will get those charters out the the west coast and fill those seats. YA RIGHT. Hop on the bus gus.

Only 8000 people??? Hmmmm..... I know a few D2 schools with fields that big. ;):)

Taylor should be congratulated on putting together the Great West Conference so quickly. At least the players will have a real tangible goal to work toward until 2008.

It is rather strange that almost exactly one year ago on this date, the idea of this conference was posted on this forum. At that time, the idea wasn’t exactly accepted with open arms. Apparently, times do change! The next school to get a Big Sky invite will be, almost without question, Southern Utah. The next invitee, Northern Colorado, will not be made until their football provisional period is over, at the earliest. Good luck with the basketball conference, as that chore will be much more difficult.

Nice job, star2city, that was impressive! Regarding Big Sky membership, how do you see Idaho fitting into the picture? I can't imagine they're going to be able to stay I-A for much longer.

If Idaho gets pushed back to D1AA they will go kicking and screaming. They are kind of in the same boat that Wyoming is as far as meeting the attendance criteria goes. From what I have read on some of the other boards, Idaho gets to count a game against Washington State at Pullman (only like 7 miles from Moscow) as a home game. It is estimated that the attendance at this game will be over 35,000. that probably will help the Vandals stay above the attendance threshold. I don't think they will force them down. Strange rules that let you count an away game as home attendance.......

The new rule (into effect this fall) is that you must average 15000 per home game to stay DIA or you'll be moved down to DIAA. (WYO points out some ways that you can try to do it, like use a non-home field as a home field for one game.)

Here's the list of 2002 DIA average home attendance teams that averaged less than 16000 (close enough to worry):

Connecticut

North Texas

Louisiana - Lafayette

Houston

Wyoming

Troy State

Arkansas State

Ball State

Akron

Buffalo

Middle Tennessee State

Idaho