SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

STATS LEAVES US OUT OF THE PLAYOFF.  picks West Ill, Towson, East Ill.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Western Illinois won only 6 division I games.

Towson didn't beat a single FCS playoff team.

Eastern Illinois also didn't beat a single quality FCS playoff team.

UND has a win against a likely seeded FCS playoff team in 9-2 Portland State; also, UND has an FBS win!

It makes no sense, whatsoever, for UND to get hosed and jumped by Western Illinois, Towson, and Eastern Illinois. If that happens tomorrow, then UND got royally screwed. 

• Upvote 3

Makes absolutely no sense.

Western Illinois won only 6 division I games.

Towson didn't beat a single FCS playoff team.

Eastern Illinois also didn't beat a single quality FCS playoff team.

UND has a win against a likely seeded FCS playoff team in 9-2 Portland State; also, UND has an FBS win!

It makes no sense, whatsoever, for UND to get hosed and jumped by Western Illinois, Towson, and Eastern Illinois. If that happens tomorrow, then UND got royally screwed. 

I agree.

I agree und is in but look at western Illinois resume. They didn't beat a fbs team but did beat uni and sdsu who are playoff teams in the best conference in fcs. Und beat Portland state and a soon to be 1-10 Wyoming but got handled by two playoff teams(NDSU/Montana). The 40+ points the last few games discussion is a joke. Who hasn't scored that on Msu?  Hope they make it as it would be great for the region. 

• Downvote 9

I agree und is in but look at western Illinois resume. They didn't beat a fbs team but did beat uni and sdsu who are playoff teams in the best conference in fcs. Und beat Portland state and a soon to be 1-10 Wyoming but got handled by two playoff teams(NDSU/Montana). The 40+ points the last few games discussion is a joke. Who hasn't scored that on Msu?  Hope they make it as it would be great for the region. 

Western has barely beat more teams than they have lost too.

You landed on the wrong message board.

So where is the optimism coming from?  First top 25 ranking, lay an egg. Can stop the run but average qbs can throw for 400 yards. What competing team has a worse home field?  This program is so far behind its not even funny. They are showing improvement over what?  They had a chance to really make a stride when Lennon left blew it so they go back to the well. How is southern Illinois doing?  That's where the bar is set

I still believe Portland state was a mirage and ISU is the trend

JakeH is a troll, Clear and simple.

UND has shown it's really not that hard to compete in the FCS once you get a half decent coach.

Edited by Cratter

SDSU and UNI are not powerhouse teams; they don't make the 6 DI wins of Western Illinois mean more. 6 DI wins is 6 DI wins, it shouldn't be enough. Also, UND won decidedly the last two contests. Portland State is a playoff team (they beat Montana); UND beat them. Cal Poly beat Montana and yet UND blew out Cal Poly. Point is, UND has wins that are meaningful and when that is compared to only the 6 wins of Western Illinois, UND has the better resume. 

SDSU and UNI are not powerhouse teams; they don't make the 6 DI wins of Western Illinois mean more. 6 DI wins is 6 DI wins, it shouldn't be enough. Also, UND won decidedly the last two contests. Portland State is a playoff team (they beat Montana); UND beat them. Cal Poly beat Montana and yet UND blew out Cal Poly. Point is, UND has wins that are meaningful and when that is compared to only the 6 wins of Western Illinois, UND has the better resume. 

The MVFC teams would be unbeaten if they didn't have to play each other.  The FCS playoffs should be just an all MVFC affair.

If you read bizonville, that should be obvious.

Edited by SiouxVolley

My projected bracket:

Dayton at Chatty vs 1. Jacksonville St
Duquesne at Fordham vs. 8. James Madison
New Hampshire at Montana vs. 4. Portland St
Eastern Illinois at UNI vs. 5. Illinois State
Colgate at William & Mary vs. 6. Richmond
UND at SDSU vs. 3. NDSU
Citadel at CCU vs. 7. Charleston Southern
Southern Utah at SHSU vs. 2. McNeese St

• Upvote 1

Hopefully come tomorrow morning (I'll be sleeping most of tomorrow because #college) these newly named Fighting Hawks will get a spot in the playoffs! They are a real fun team to watch.  I know getting a game at home would be a "bonus," although the game would happen during Thanksgiving break, no? I'd hope a lot of families would pack the Alerus. I would but my family is 1,400 miles away.  

(That being said I will be able to support Fighting Hawk women's hockey as they travel to Syracuse!) My friends and I will pack the first row of War Memorial Arena! My dad and his side of the family are born/raised in Syracuse.  "I grew up at the War Memorial" he says, and I say be prepared to get F'Hawk'd.....Or something to that effect....#FlyOrDie

Citadel's win over So Carolina yesterday may not help our selection chances however I think our chances remain pretty good. Our bid to host a first round game may carry some weight with the committee as the weather forecast for the upper Midwest next week  calls for snow and ice and then mixed winter precip from Thursday into the  week end.  A playooff game inside the Allerus center next Saturday could prove to be appealing to the committee.

My sources tell me #UND put in an extremely healthy bid for a first round game. If they make the field, good chance they host.

RB John Santiago is first true freshman in #BigSkyFB 53-year history to lead league in rushing (1,459 yards) - also had 16 TDs #UNDProud

#can'ttouchthis

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 1

UND beat Wyoming.

Wyoming beat Nevada.

Nevada beat Buffalo.

Buffalo beat Ohio.

Ohio beat Marshall.

Marshall beat Purdue.

Purdue beat Nebraska.

Nebraska beat Michigan State.

Michigan State just beat #2 Ohio State.