SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Vermont - Saturday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Couple plays that really stuck out to me this game:

On a UVM power play during the second period, Vermont had a wide open net.  Hrynkiw wasn't going to get over in time, so a sioux player frantically dove and blocked the shot in the crease. I didn't see who it was, but it's that kind of all out commitment that wins games. 

Another instance in the third period when Vermont had a wide open net. I (and everyone around me) thought it was a guaranteed goal. Out of nowhere, Hrynkiw makes this amazing glove save and gets a whistle. Unreal. 

Overall, this series was a blast.  Love seeing 4 games in October!

• Upvote 1

I thought we looked good both games, more so the first game.  We easily could have had 3-4 more goals Friday night.  With that said, we need to get Gersich and Joel J. back to spread the talent around.  It was really fun watching Caggs, Boeser and Schmaltz play together however I'm not 100% sure that is best for the squad in the long run.  While their numbers would obviously be higher together I think our team would be tougher to play against with 2-3 higher end lines, at least at even strength.  Athought the wins have been good, we haven't played a team that is all that good.  I'm guessing if we would have played a top end team they would have been able to get much better scoring chances and would have been able to contain our top line.  After that top unit I wasn't overly impressed with any other line.  However, to contradict my previous sentence I'm really glad Chyz is finding his scoring touch.  After having a really nice final junior year in Fargo which he scored a bunch of goals, I was hoping one of these years he would start potting some goals.  Better late than never.  Here's to getting some of our guys back next weekend.  Another bottom feeder next week.

Edited by scpa0305

I thought we looked good both games, more so the first game.  We easily could have had 3-4 more goals Friday night.  With that said, we need to get Gersich and Joel J. back to spread the talent around.  It was really fun watching Caggs, Boeser and Schmaltz play together however I'm not 100% sure that is best for the squad in the long run.  While their numbers would obviously be higher together I think our team would be tougher to play against with 2-3 higher end lines, at least at even strength.  Athought the wins have been good, we haven't played a team that is all that good.  I'm guessing if we would have played a top end team they would have been able to get much better scoring chances and would have been able to contain our top line.  After that top unit I wasn't overly impressed with any other line.  However, to contradict my previous sentence I'm really glad Chyz is finding his scoring touch.  After having a really nice final junior year in Fargo which he scored a bunch of goals, I was hoping one of these years he would start potting some goals.  Better late than never.  Here's to getting some of our guys back next weekend.  Another bottom feeder next week.

Completely agree with your Gersich/J assessment.  

Completely agree with your Gersich/J assessment.  

I agree as well. Lines something like Boeser-Schmaltz-Gersich, Caggs-Johnson-Wilkie, Chyz-Simo-Pogo like we had before the injuries/illness makes us more potent and deep offensively. That 3rd line could really do some damage with speed and grit. You could switch Pogo and Wilkie and get similar results. Also, Gardner seems to have played himself into the lineup. Would be interested to see who sits when everyone gets healthy. I've never been big on Sanderson so that would be my choice with JJ-Gardner-Olson on the 4th line.

I agree as well. Lines something like Boeser-Schmaltz-Gersich, Caggs-Johnson-Wilkie, Chyz-Simo-Pogo like we had before the injuries/illness makes us more potent and deep offensively. That 3rd line could really do some damage with speed and grit. You could switch Pogo and Wilkie and get similar results. Also, Gardner seems to have played himself into the lineup. Would be interested to see who sits when everyone gets healthy. I've never been big on Sanderson so that would be my choice with JJ-Gardner-Olson on the 4th line.

Those lines are what I was thinking as well.  You could rotate Wilkie and JJ depending on how they are playing.  It's going to be tough when St. Clair comes back because I have thought Gardner looks ok as well.  His size and tenacity are perfect for that 4th.

Those lines are what I was thinking as well.  You could rotate Wilkie and JJ depending on how they are playing.  It's going to be tough when St. Clair comes back because I have thought Gardner looks ok as well.  His size and tenacity are perfect for that 4th.

And he seems to be a guy the coaches trust to take faceoffs as well. I don't know how St. Clair isn't slotted in as that 4th line center/PK guy when he gets healthy. With the way injuries have gone so far, who knows what could happen by the time St. Clair gets back.

I was very impressed with Sanderson this weekend. He generated some scoring chances and I witnessed his forecheck firsthand down low in the Vermont defensive zone.

Agreed.  He may not be the fastest skater, but he's definitely going all in with effort.  He had a wide open net on Saturday with a 2 on 1, but the pass was just a little too far in front of him.  I was about ready to go ballistic for his first career goal.