SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Supporting Sioux Spirit

Nodakstud

A green paper, two-sided letter was waiting for me in my cupholder Friday (in the upper deck) as well. It was pretty clearly aimed at fans and fan behavior.

Regarding "cupholders": Wasn't there a problem in Season One at REA where some of the cupholders were intentionally damaged by some students (and the act was caught on tape)? Help me out. I seem to recall something along those lines but haven't found anything in a quick web search.

Yes, some were...actually there are still cupholders for the front row seats (ie, mine), but the others have been removed from the student section.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, some were...actually there are still cupholders for the front row seats (ie, mine), but the others have been removed from the student section.

I've noticed the ones that attach to the armrests are still there while the ones that are lodged in between seats have been removed. I've heard that people were caught stealing them. However, in the context that I was told that, it was around the time of the major high school tourney at the Ralph last season so I'm not sure how much truth there is to it.

I admire the students taking action to try and get this mess resolved. Something needs to be done. The fans at last Saturdays game should be ashamed. The CC coach this week talked about what a morgue that place was and how the silence actually fired up their team.

I guess I have a little problem with the standing rule. Someone designing a $100 million building should have had the foresight that students like to stand during the game. I remember games in Ralph I where the student section down near the glass and penalty box stood the whole game long. Again, I've said before that the fact that the student section is not along the glass is a joke. Seems to me that there could have been a way to design that section where the view corridor would not have been obstructed if students in the student section chose to stand.

If you go to a game and want to stand and cheer the whole game then more power to you. Maybe it'll get the slug behind you out of his seat to cheer as well. Trouble is that the seats in the new Ralph are too comfortable. All that leather making people lazy. Let's go back to cold steel bleachers. That'll get people back on their feet. :lol:

Im going to get back to the initial topic of this post, the fact of the matter is that the students have been treated differently than all the other fans all year long. Do you have security guards standing right next to you watching your every move and listening to everything you say? Id be very suprised if any of you guys could go through a hockey game without calling one the referee's calls bull$%!#.

Many of you may see this as bitching by the students. Just because we dont pay full price for tickets doesnt mean we should be subjected to harsh treatment. Many of us have great ideas for constructive cheers, yet we have no voice at the REA. This whole movement has begun to attempt to regain the atmosphere that all of us die hard hockey fans want. Kupchella needs to quit trying to appeal to all of the people in the suites and start looking at the people who this arena was made for, The hockey players, the students, and the faithful fans of the Fighting Sioux. I know i may be preaching to the choir to some of you but there are a small few that still dont understand the issue.

Telling people not to swear at a hockey game is like telling Prpich or Greene to play nice with the other team. Its simply absurd.

Telling people not to swear at a hockey game is like telling Prpich or Greene to play nice with the other team. Its simply absurd.

I will remember that when I am trying to explain to my five year old what the swearing is all about.

Thank you for you folks taking the initiative to wake up the REA. You guys are doing the right thing. I hope the fans can come through for you where the REA rocks without MOST of the swearing.

Many of you may see this as bitching by the students. Just because we dont pay full price for tickets doesnt mean we should be subjected to harsh treatment.

I think it should also be noted that students pay fees along with tuition that go right to the athletic dept.; whether they go to the games or not.

Students signed a contract to not stand.  The contract didn't say they wouldn't use unappropriate language, and the second they did they would have their season tickets revoked.  For some reason I'm pretty sure the letter Joe Average got in the mail from Roger Thomas didn't say his tickets would get revoked.  A lot of students can agree that swearing and standing are not the issues, it's how they are being treated.  Was it really necessary to leave that letter on their seats saying they would revoke their tickets if they swore with 2 weekends left on their tickets?  The average student have his/her ticket scanned, then his valid ID, then gets a pat down by officers, then must put his or her soda down and find their ticket to show the attendant before entering their seat, and then must make sure they aren't wearing the costume of a non-REA sponsor and ain't holding a sign that says "checking cheerleaders out from behind."

On the back of my student season ticket (and I would think on the back of every ticket), the last paragraph states:

"Management reserves the right, without a refund for any portion of the ticket purchase price, to refuse admission to or eject any person whose conduct is deemed by management to be disorderly, who uses vulgar or abusive language or who fails to comply with these or other management issued rules. Breach of any of the foregoing will automatically terminate this license."

Sorry about the delay about the meeting, he said he would like to work with us on improving the atmosphere in the Ralph and improve the situation as a hole but we are going to need to make some comprimises. With that said he gave me a list of some others that he would like me to talk to. I would like to set up a forum in the union sometime soon to get feedback in person about some ideas that I can bring at my next few meetings. So other than that I will get back to you all once I have more info that I can share and be positive about.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu

Keep those crowd suggestions coming in they are great the more we get the more fun we can have.

What compromises are the students supposed to make? I mean I thought they couldn't stand and couldn't swear? I didn't think that was negotiable, so therefore it wasn't a compromise. What else is left? Or is the standing/swearing what he is talking about?

I guess I believe him, but it is like students have to keep giving things up in order for the administration to even agree to talk. While on the other hand, the administration doesn't give up anything. They only agree to do what they should have been doing in the first place. Silly.

What is to be comprimised on will be determined once I meet with the other people he wants me to meet with and I talk with some other student leaders and we can sit down with him, and again I'm planning to doa student forum to go over what others want or feel that we need or we can give up. Anyway I need to meet with others before I talk about what they are wanting or willing to give up on. Thanks for the support everybody and keep those ideas coming in.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu

On the back of my student season ticket (and I would think on the back of every ticket), the last paragraph states:

"Management reserves the right, without a refund for any portion of the ticket purchase price, to refuse admission to or eject any person whose conduct is deemed by management to be disorderly, who uses vulgar or abusive language or who fails to comply with these or other management issued rules. Breach of any of the foregoing will automatically terminate this license."

I was wondering if any of the members here go to professional sporting events & if the NHL, NFL, etc. have similar policies against "vulgar or abusive language" on the back of their tickets. I wouldn't think so because it would be a little difficult to have a zero-swearing policy in cities like Philadelphia, New York, etc. & telling Raiders fans that they can't swear or they'll wash their mouths out with soap :lol:

Also, I watched the UA-Oregon bb game on Thursday & heard half the Ducks fans chanting "Bull****!, Bull****!" in unison. The announcers didn't say anything but I can imagine they were probably wondering if they should cut to commercial or talk over it. They did nothing, though, & it was very audible. Other PAC-10 games have this noticeable swearing, also. Is the NCAA planning on enforcing civil games at Big 10 & SEC football games, too, where there can be 70-80,000 fans easily? I know they throw out people for unruly behavior at those games but I think it's unrealistic & a logistical nightmare to think they can do what the Ralph is doing. I don't think it's possible due to sheer size but it is possible to have security babysit fans at hockey games because it's a lot more manageable. My point being, to be fair & not monitor just college hockey fans, I would expect that at the next OSU-Michigan football game they eject the 10 or so thousand fans who happen to swear also. Apply the rules across the board. Maybe I'm mistaken & this is just a UND policy, in which case this 2nd paragraph is a moot point & I just wasted 5 minutes typing it.

What is to be comprimised on will be determined once I meet with the other people he wants me to meet with and I talk with some other student leaders and we can sit down with him, and again I'm planning to doa student forum to go over what others want or feel that we need or we can give up. Anyway I need to meet with others before I talk about what they are wanting or willing to give up on. Thanks for the support everybody and keep those ideas coming in.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu

I guess I am just confused about this whole thing. The idea is that we want the crowd to be more involved in the game. Why should the students have to give something up for this to happen? We have already given up the standing, and we are giving up swearing (allowing punishment for those that don't stop). We have not received anything, and we are still not really asking for much. We are asking the general public to pull their weight. We are asking REA to utilize the equipment they have for the benefit of the crowd and team, rather than making money. Forget it just being while Chucky is prez, I will never give any money back to UND period.

I agree with Federov. I don't understand what the problem is. Students won't stand and won't swear. Lets move on and try to find ways to get everyone inovled in the games rather than wasting time discussing who should have to give up what. This isn't addressed at you SSSS, because you are trying. It is just that they are seemingly wasting time when something could be done right now. Everyone is in agreement about everything, what is the problem?

Part of the meetings to come is to involve REA, the Alerus Center, and the new Sports Complex in working with students and fans to get everyone involved so we are going to address that issue and see what the students can do to help, as well as those facilities that would like the help. Thank you guys very much for the input again, and we are very interested in getting everyone to cheer and be involved and Fighting Sioux athletics.

Aaron Easton

In response to SFIP, I currently work with the Philadelphia Flyers and to be honest, a lot of the crowd chants are pretty vulgar--mostly when we are playing the Devils or the Rangers. But anyway, I did mail a letter to RT last week regarding the issue, in which I shared some of the ways that we get our crowd involved in the game, which could be used at Sioux games as well. Or at least variations of our activities. We'll see if anythig comes of it.

I was wondering if any of the members here go to professional sporting events & if the NHL, NFL, etc. have similar policies against "vulgar or abusive language" on the back of their tickets. I wouldn't think so because it would be a little difficult to have a zero-swearing policy in cities like Philadelphia, New York, etc. & telling Raiders fans that they can't swear or they'll wash their mouths out with soap :lol:

Also, I watched the UA-Oregon bb game on Thursday & heard half the Ducks fans chanting "Bull****!, Bull****!" in unison. The announcers didn't say anything but I can imagine they were probably wondering if they should cut to commercial or talk over it. They did nothing, though, & it was very audible. Other PAC-10 games have this noticeable swearing, also. Is the NCAA planning on enforcing civil games at Big 10 & SEC football games, too, where there can be 70-80,000 fans easily? I know they throw out people for unruly behavior at those games but I think it's unrealistic & a logistical nightmare to think they can do what the Ralph is doing. I don't think it's possible due to sheer size but it is possible to have security babysit fans at hockey games because it's a lot more manageable. My point being, to be fair & not monitor just college hockey fans, I would expect that at the next OSU-Michigan football game they eject the 10 or so thousand fans who happen to swear also. Apply the rules across the board. Maybe I'm mistaken & this is just a UND policy, in which case this 2nd paragraph is a moot point & I just wasted 5 minutes typing it.

that happens at any college game everywhere saying bull @#$#..its not a big deal at all. its kind of tradition in a way.. the other words are what they are referring to with the language problems (so they say)..both sides i guess will have to settle a bit..the students are the best thing to happen to any arena in the nation. especially at the Ralph.. my grnadpa has season tix there for years and he knows how important it is to have the students go crazy and be the so called (6th man on the ice). hes 74 and he loves it. go sioux!!!!!!!!!

Whereas I think it is interesting the word "compromise" was use at this point in the process I think it is best NOT to guess at what the Pres meant by that and instead continue working in the direction as stated. Keep an open mind and see what happens. Could be NOTHING was meant by that. If anything was meant by it, it will be clear soon enough.

Reacting to non-clear statements prematurely is a recipe for failure.

Good job Aaron and all who are involved. Keep up the good work and let's see what happens!

Is the NCAA planning on enforcing civil games at Big 10 & SEC football games, too, where there can be 70-80,000 fans easily?

Look at what's going on at Michigan, Michigan State, and Maryland (and don't kid yourself, now Oregon and the Pac-10 will be next).

To think the NCAA won't try is to not understand the NCAA.

Remember: All the actions at all these places started after the 2004 NCAA meetings in Nashville in January. I believe something is afoot from those meetings.

Goon made Roger Thomas' and Dr. Kupchella's case for them right here.

Should UND fans be dropping F-bombs and other vulgarity toward visitors?

Look how even Goon referred to the MSU-M fan that dropped an F-bomb toward Tim Hennessy: "jerk."

So, good fans or "jerks." You decide.

Look how even Goon referred to the MSU-M fan that dropped an F-bomb toward Tim Hennessy: "jerk."

Sicatoka:

In the short time I've been on this board, I've admired your intellect & grasp of all things UND. However, I think it was a tad low to single out one of the most ardent supporters of Sioux hockey & make an example of him. I've always thought of Goon as a passionate Sioux fan who's not afraid to express himself in his own unique way, regardless of what others think. I say good for him. I think it's supercilious that one adult would find the need to criticize another over the language he decides to use; & if saying "jerk" somehow makes him less of a true/good fan then I need to get out more because I'm behind the times.

I grew up watching Sioux hockey in the 70's & the words I heard as a small boy at the old REA would make any sailor shudder. I wasn't negatively effected & my dad was smart enough to realize that raising me in an insult-free, vulgarless bubble until my 18th birthday was unrealistic. There was never talk of this need to domesticate fans back then but now there is. Gee, & I wonder why Sioux fans feel so stifled, restricted. Sit, Spot. Roll over, Spot. Fetch, Spot.

Ironic how defensive we get when liberal do-gooders say our Sioux name is offensive to a particular people but in the next breath we will tell others that they can't express themselves in their own unique way because it offends their common decency. The philosophical arguments used by both SCSU professors & certain Sioux fans who want more civilized games mirror each other to an extent. Who's right here & is one group morally superior to the other? Found this Internet definition of the following term which I think applies in this situation.

1. political correctness, political correctitude -- (avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against)

Goon made Roger Thomas' and Dr. Kupchella's case for them right here.

Should UND fans be dropping F-bombs and other vulgarity toward visitors?

Sickota,

You bring up a good point. I guess this proves the point that a hockey game doesn