SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Supporting Sioux Spirit

Nodakstud

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not trying to undermine him we are only looking to work with his office to improve the situation that has risen since last weekend.

Aaron, my previous post was not directed at you. I applaud your efforts and commend you for them. What you're doing is exactly what's needed. You have my thanks and appreciation. Good luck.

Maybe he should stay in his office and focus on academics and let Roger Thomas run the athletic department side of the equation. I mean really who gives a rip what the students say in the stands.

Not to interrupt a perfectly good rip-Kupchella-fest, but I believe everyone (students and season ticket holders) got a letter from .... Roger Thomas .... on Friday.

Roger Thomas does give a rip about what the (not students) fans say in the stands apparently.

Commence the rip-Roger-Thomas-fest.

I also want to thank Aaron for taking positive steps to remedy the situation. For any given problem, there are legions of people who can tell you what's wrong, a smaller number who can tell you how to fix what's wrong and a smaller number still who actually roll up their sleeves and go about the work of fixing what's wrong.

I also want to thank Aaron for taking positive steps to remedy the situation. For any given problem, there are legions of people who can tell you what's wrong, a smaller number who can tell you how to fix what's wrong and a smaller number still who actually roll up their sleeves and go about the work of fixing what's wrong.

Yep, cudos to Aaron, and all others participating in a similar manner.

The old cliche "it's not a problem, it's an opportunity" applies in this situation. IF the fans and the admin and powers in control work together we could have greatly accelerated the positive improvements in the atmosphere at the Ralph.

Good job all!

Why not set up a student boycott of the Friday night game against Tech? I think an empty student section would say alot.

It doesn't yet appear that this would be called for. Reaching out to those who have "the power" is the right first step toward resolutions. I know it has been rocky in the past but I'm an eternal optimist.

Students signed a contract to not stand. The contract didn't say they wouldn't use unappropriate language, and the second they did they would have their season tickets revoked. For some reason I'm pretty sure the letter Joe Average got in the mail from Roger Thomas didn't say his tickets would get revoked. A lot of students can agree that swearing and standing are not the issues, it's how they are being treated. Was it really necessary to leave that letter on their seats saying they would revoke their tickets if they swore with 2 weekends left on their tickets? The average student have his/her ticket scanned, then his valid ID, then gets a pat down by officers, then must put his or her soda down and find their ticket to show the attendant before entering their seat, and then must make sure they aren't wearing the costume of a non-REA sponsor and ain't holding a sign that says "checking cheerleaders out from behind."

Students signed a contract to not stand.  The contract didn't say they wouldn't use unappropriate language, and the second they did they would have their season tickets revoked.

Every ticket sold comes with conditions of use printed on the back. Those conditions include not using foul language, which is also a rule in the NCAA ice hockey rule book. The code of conduct is announced (and usually ignored) before every game and is posted on the REA's Web site as follows:

CODE OF CONDUCT

The University of North Dakota and Ralph Engelstad Arena promote good sportsmanship by student athletes, coaches, and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial, or sexist comments or other intimidating actions directed at officials, students athletes, coaches, or team representatives will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site and, if needed, additional disciplinary actions.

Ralph Engelstad Arena is home of the Fighting Sioux. The University of North Dakota chose the name of the Fighting Sioux in the 1930

BTW, I got the same letter from Roger Thomas everyone else did, students included.

So did I. Guess what: A season ticket holder could lose their seats too.

This isn't "students" issue. This is a "fans" issue in the eyes of Kupchella (who was consistent on that "fans" point on the radio with Scott Hennen) and Roger Thomas and UND and the NCAA.

Just think of someone besides yourself for a minute and see how you would really feel about this behavior.

Show some class. You're lucky enough to be able to watch the best college hockey in the country, in a $100 million building, for a heckuva lot less money than I pay. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Rip on the opposing team all you want. Stand up and cheer, just like the song says. But remember you are not alone in the building. Your's are not the only ears onto which your hateful diatribe fall.

Uphold the societal contract and act like a human.

BTW, I got the same letter from Roger Thomas everyone else did, students included.

I'm not sure you got my point. I thank you for trying to set me straight, but all I stated was facts. You do not know how I act at hockey games. I act like you do. I sit there and not swear and cheer "lets go sioux" and stand and clap for goals. But yes I will show some class next time. Thank you. I said standing and swearing are not the issues Aaron and others aren't presenting letter to Kupchella to get them to stand and swear. It's that students have to play by a different rules than the general public. And that is why many are upset. It is not a single issue. I hope I do not come off as the world revolves around me and or any other students.

PCM, like I stated. I agree swearing accomplishes nothing. It's the way it is handled, putting letters on seats of students saying swear and get tickets revoked. If this is such a "fan" and not a "student" issue as The Sicatoka states, why didn't everyone in the arena have a letter on their seat, Friday, greeting them?

If this is such a "fan" and not a "student" issue as The Sicatoka states, why didn't everyone in the arena have a letter on their seat, Friday, greeting them?

From my perspective in the press box, everyone did get a letter. I could see them all over the arena rolled up and stuck in the cup holders.

From my perspective in the press box, everyone did get a letter. I could see them all over the arena rolled up and stuck in the cup holders.

If it is true, then I take it back. I believe the students letters were two sided. I can't remember, but I thought one side was directed mainly at the students.

It's that students have to play by a different rules than the general public.

Right there is the problem. You are NOT being asked to abide by a different or separate set of rules. We ALL got the two-sided letter. We ALL have been asked time after time after to time to act like human beings and treat one another with respect; to use appropriate language, to stand when it is appropriate, etc.

This thing won't be solved into you figure out this isn't about the administration, or the season ticket holders or the management at Ralph Englestad Arena picking on students.

It's about how we ALL conduct ourselves. If we ALL work together to solve this it'll get done.

If it is true, then I take it back.  I believe the students letters were two sided.  I can't remember, but I thought one side was directed mainly at the students.

I wish that everyone could have heard Kupchella on Hot Talk with Scott Hennen last week discussing this issue. There were a few times when Hennen referred to "the students" and Kupchella quickly corrected him by saying "the fans." It was very clear that he was going out of his way not to single out students! He also noted that other fans, not only students, had been been removed from Engelstad Arena and had their tickets revoked.

PCM: Thanks for posting the signs/banners rule. I don't believe any of the signs we've had censored have been "commercial, political, derogatory or obscene," certainly not by any legal definition. The problem with the signs is mostly the inconsistent enforcement--approved by a guard at the front door on Friday, rejected by a different guard at the student door on Saturday. That creates the appearance of disparate treatment by suggesting that when the signs are carried into the arena by a charming but matronly fan, they are viewed less suspiciously than when carried in by a student. I suppose the solution would be to have the Friday night guard place a stamp of approval on all the signs so they aren't subjected to a second review which uses apparently different standards.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is off-topic but I have sort of vested interest in the signs.

I don't believe any of the signs we've had censored have been "commercial, political, derogatory or obscene," certainly not by any legal definition.

I'm sure you are correct. The problem lies with having different people enforcing a rather vague policy. One person might look at a sign, thinks it's questionable and ban it because it's the safe thing to do. Another person might look at a sign, think it's a bit risque, but funny, and wave it through. And I'm sure you're also correct that signs brought in by students are looked at with greater suspicion than signs brought in by that "charming but matronly fan."

Why did the students get their cup holders taken away? :lol:

A green paper, two-sided letter was waiting for me in my cupholder Friday (in the upper deck) as well. It was pretty clearly aimed at fans and fan behavior.

Regarding "cupholders": Wasn't there a problem in Season One at REA where some of the cupholders were intentionally damaged by some students (and the act was caught on tape)? Help me out. I seem to recall something along those lines but haven't found anything in a quick web search.

PCM: Thanks for posting the signs/banners rule. I don't believe any of the signs we've had censored have been "commercial, political, derogatory or obscene," certainly not by any legal definition. The problem with the signs is mostly the inconsistent enforcement--approved by a guard at the front door on Friday, rejected by a different guard at the student door on Saturday. That creates the appearance of disparate treatment by suggesting that when the signs are carried into the arena by a charming but matronly fan, they are viewed less suspiciously than when carried in by a student. I suppose the solution would be to have the Friday night guard place a stamp of approval on all the signs so they aren't subjected to a second review which uses apparently different standards.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is off-topic but I have sort of vested interest in the signs.

I agree...on Friday I'm going to ask the security guard at the student door if it would be possible to mark the signs (or maybe something the think about for next year). If they really think about it...this decreases there workload. There's one security guard who says he really only checks them to see what they say. The one that has been scrutinizing me the most (only one that has been close to not letting some in) actually went out of her way last game to check my signs (at one point there were 3 security people going through them). For one series I told her that I had no problem with her checking them since they had all been let in the night before to which she replied, "Yeah, but they didn't get approved by me." A standard for these would be nice as she seems to think that I'm going to try to sneak one past her...if I wanted (note IF) to do that, I would just fold it up and stuff it in by back pocket.