SiouxSports.com Forum

Students Supporting Sioux Spirit

Nodakstud

Redwing: I don't know that the TV standard is gonna fly. I was watching "Scrubs" (great show, BTW) the other night and there were some words in the script which, while not shocking to me, I bet you can't yell at the Ralph. Also, on the repeat of "The Apprentice," one of the wannabes referred to himself using the simile "like a virgin on prom night." If security tells NorthStar to limit the use of the "checking the cheerleaders out from behind" sign, I have to think that NBC's Standards and Practices guidelines don't have a snowball's chance in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks of being adopted as a model by the Ralph. That said, I don't agree that the language at the Ralph has to be policed to a G rating. It's not a museum, a cathedral or an opera house. We need reasonable standards that consider the context in which the language is uttered.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a museum, a cathedral or an opera house.

I'm not sure about the opera house. I went to one of those in Prague and there was a lot of noise and screeching. But because I had no idea what was being said, I fell asleep. :lol::huh:

As a dad with two young boys, I don't have any problems taking my kids to hockey games. I am aware of the language and don't have any problems with it mainly because my kids are there to watch the game. I don't think that they have ever even noticed it. I will continue to take my kids there regardless of he language. I would prefer that there wasn't swearing around them but I also can't shelter them from everything either. How will they ever grow??? If it comes down to having to be as quiet as the crowd was last Sat., I will not be going to any more games. We go for the atmosphere not to just sit there. If we want to be quiet we can stay home and save $100.

As Zach Parise said regarding the new rules, the players need to feed off of the fans energy. By not allowing the students to do many cheers that UND students have done for years, the administration is demoralizing not only the crowd, but the players. The old ralph was known for its great atmosphere and the new ralph was slowly getting better. This is a step in the wrong direction to supporting the hockey team. I am one of thousands of fans who ENJOY the chants, cursing, making fun of, etc. I think it makes the games alot more fun, but now because of a few people who complain, I won't enjoy the games as I used to. Why don't they ask the players what they think? This team is the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX. It is made up BY the students. First they make us sit, now we can't cheer like we always do. Where does it end? If the students keep giving in, The administration will turn the ralph into a graveyard on friday and saturday nights.

I would like to know what the players think about these restrtictions.

As Zach Parise said regarding the new rules, the players need to feed off of the fans energy. By not allowing the students to do many cheers that UND students have done for years, the administration is demoralizing not only the crowd, but the players. The old ralph was known for its great atmosphere and the new ralph was slowly getting better. This is a step in the wrong direction to supporting the hockey team. I am one of thousands of fans who ENJOY the chants, cursing, making fun of, etc. I think it makes the games alot more fun, but now because of a few people who complain, I won't enjoy the games as I used to. Why don't they ask the players what they think? This team is the UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX. It is made up BY the students. First they make us sit, now we can't cheer like we always do. Where does it end? If the students keep giving in, The administration will turn the ralph into a graveyard on saturday and sunday night.

I would like to know what the players think about these restrtictions.

I'm sorry Superman, and this probably doesn't need to be rehashed, but if you really can't have fun because someone says you can't swear that's pretty pathetic.

It seems to me that generally speaking most of the student cheers I've heard have been acceptable. Therefore, I don't think anyone is quashing "many" cheers. Secondly, a slight adjustment in those cheers would probably be just as interesting. Thirdly, I yelled Who's He He Sucks way back in the '80's and before you think I'm a prude I'd still live with that one today. However, I've been mystified as to why the students in the meantime added the extra S word at the end of that cheer. It's harder to yell out, and it makes the whole thing less easy to understand out in the crowd.

I've felt this for several years when hearing it. So you're complaining because you can't swear, and I'm always shaking my head because your demand to swear has frankly ruined a good cheer.

The fans that sit around me in 306 only seem to respond to what ever is on the Big Screen. They seem to think its only ok if REA has it on the screen otherwise its like a library. Putting cheers on the board is a great idea.

Same with us in 302. We need a guy like the Vikings hired from the Houston Oilers to go around and rev up the crowd. If it on the big screen people seem to cheer. Lets get that out there. The every one up and stand up and cheer seems to help. Also you can't hear the band very well from 302, so maybe that needs to be address. However, the piped in music is drowning out the students cheers.

SNIP----------------------

I agree with the meetings: Roger Thomas WILL meet with you.

I'm not saying to give up on Kupchella, but I wouldn't put my hopes up about meeting with him. He told Pres Baker that he wanted our arena to sound more like Marriucci.

Roger Thomas is a stand up guy Kup-Cake is an empty suit. The man is not there. I think maybe a few people in the Alumni need to educate him again about REA and what it brings to the community as well as the University.

I'm sorry Superman, and this probably doesn't need to be rehashed, but if you really can't have fun because someone says you can't swear that's pretty pathetic.

It seems to me that generally speaking most of the student cheers I've heard have been acceptable. Therefore, I don't think anyone is quashing "many" cheers. Secondly, a slight adjustment in those cheers would probably be just as interesting. Thirdly, I yelled Who's He He Sucks way back in the '80's and before you think I'm a prude I'd still live with that one today. However, I've been mystified as to why the students in the meantime added the extra S word at the end of that cheer. It's harder to yell out, and it makes the whole thing less easy to understand out in the crowd.

I've felt this for several years when hearing it. So you're complaining because you can't swear, and I'm always shaking my head because your demand to swear has frankly ruined a good cheer.

You've got me wrong dagies. My dad was a UND student in the 70's and says that he loves hearing the cheers that he used to do. Yes, even the ones with swearing. This is a hockey game, not a fund raiser for the museum. It's not just about swearing, its about policing the students to a level that highschool kids barely even need. I never said I couldn't have fun at the games without swearing, I just meant that the new restrictions could very well dull the experience of going to a Sioux game for many people, just as easily as they could help. These types of restrictions will never end, and the more the students just sit back and accept them, the worse and worse it gets from here on out. It's bad enough students can't stand and cheer, and I understand that some of what is said is vulgar and could be avoided, but don't let a few bad apples ruin the fun for the people who do it harmlessly.

I've had many run ins with this type of situation going back to highschool with the faculty trying to do (basically) the same thing. I was almost suspended because me and a few friends refused to sit at a basketball game. Ever since then, I have had very strong feelings on these issues and yes, I am opinionated. I do very little swearing at hockey games, but I find it dissapointing that one thing is leading to the next. Maybe next, they'll be giving breathalizers at the door and kicking out the drunks. :lol:

Same with us in 302. We need a guy like the Vikings hired from the Houston Oilers to go around and rev up the crowd. If it on the big screen people seem to cheer. Lets get that out there. The every one up and stand up and cheer seems to help. Also you can't hear the band very well from 302, so maybe that needs to be address. However, the piped in music is drowning out the students cheers.

BC had some guy leading the cheers at Albany in 2001.

Kup-Cake is an empty suit. The man is not there. I think maybe a few people in the Alumni need to educate him again about REA and what it brings to the community as well as the University.

Does anyone realize that there's a lot more involved in running a university than making sure people have a good time at hockey games? :lol:

Does anyone realize that there's a lot more involved in running a university than making sure people have a good time at hockey games? :lol:

Yeah there is but the man is a complete and utter idiot when it comes to running anything to do with sports. Maybe he should stay in his office and focus on academics and let Roger Thomas run the athletic department side of the equation. I mean really who gives a rip what the students say in the stands. The arena atmosphere this season sucks period and Chuck has played a big part in pacifying this place...

Maybe personally you like the passive sit on your hands atmosphere, that

Hello,

My name is Aaron Easton and I have made a meeting with a Pres. Kupchella tomorrow and I plan to go to his office to give him a letter of our goals and offer some possible solutions or comprimises to attempt to resolve the situation. I have no intention of going to his office and making any threats or demands. I would be happy to have other people contact me to ask any questions or submit any comments. I would also be happy to get any more signatures to add to the letter, as of now I have 18 and I am looking for about 10 more. If you would like to sign this give me an e-mail or post here sometime soon before midnight and I will try to contact you on a good time for you to read and or sign the letter that will be delivered to Kupchella around 1:30 tomorrow. Thank you all very much for your interest and suggetions, they are much appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu

the letter simply asks to meet with him and open a line of communication between himself and the students and others. it states that we would like to work towards a solution that all parties can be happy with or comprise and be satisfied with.

Yeah there is but the man is a complete and utter idiot when it comes to running anything to do with sports.

Goon, if you've met Kupchella, talked to him and still don't like him, then I respect your opinion.

You can't, however, deny that UND has enjoyed great success in athletics during his tenure. I doubt that he'd take much credit for that. He always gives full credit to Roger Thomas and the Sioux coaches. With UND attracting more research dollars than ever and its enrollment at record levels, I think Kupchella must be doing a few things right.

What I find interesting is that at NDSU, President Champan can lead the university over the DI-AA cliff and Bison fans line up like lemmings to follow him over the edge. At UND, Kupchella tells fans that they must start living up to the agreement they make in writing when they purchase tickets for UND athletic events and Sioux fans are ready to tar and feather him and run him out of town on a rail.

Anyone who cares about the quality of students and athletes UND attracts should be behind Kupchella's efforts. Anyone who claims to care about maintaining the Fighting Sioux nickname should support him on this. He is not making an unreasonable request.

Am I saying that Sioux fans should behave like Bison fans? No. But it would be a refreshing change if Sioux fans and UND alumni would at least give Kupchella the benefit of the doubt now and then.

University officials area evil dictators that are trying to destroy any fun the students may have. Everybody knows this PCM, have you not seen animal house? :huh:

From the Homer goes to college Simpsons episode, parodying Animal House.

Dean: Hello..

Homer: Hello, Dean! You're a stupid head!

Dean: Homer is that you?

We are not trying to undermine him we are only looking to work with his office to improve the situation that has risen since last weekend. I am only going today to give him a letter with signatures of students that would like to work towards a better solution. I have been in contact with many student leaders and presidents of student organizations and we are all coming up with ways to challenge the students to become more creative. With the great suggestions listed earlier in the forum with no objections next week sometime I plan on walking over to REA and giving the Productions manager which is a very nice person that I have met previously the suggestions posted here. Myself and several others that I have either showed or gave the link to the forum, have looked at the great ideas and offers for help. There are some very creative solutions here and I plan on showing Kupchella a few to get his take on some of them, but keep them coming in and come up with some others, by the way keep a ear out around campus about a way to get your ideas out and looked at to be distributed to the student for the next game just keep an ear out and eye open to look for those opporitunities. Thanks all for your interest and keep up the great suggestions, the more positive suggestions that more it helps out cause.

Aaron Easton

aeaston@aero.UND.edu