SiouxSports.com Forum

Will UND have a 1000 yd rusher this season? If yes who?

Nodak78

I say yes this year.  I think we could have 2 or 3 possible.  Then again it may be a committee approach and we have a few with many yards but no one with a 1,000.

My best guess will be Iwarri Smith.  His speed and quickness will provide him the tools to gain large chunks of yards per play.   We saw how Jer  rushed the last few games.  I think the line is ready to open some holes for the RB's.

I don't see 3 guys getting 1,000 yards, maybe 1 guy.  I also don't see Smith getting 1,000 yards because he will likely only get limited carries early on because he is a true freshman, I just don't think he'll get enough carries to crack 1,000.  I sure hope I am  wrong on both of my statements however!  I think the load will be distributed so it may be tough for any of them to get to 1,000.

I don't see 3 guys getting 1,000 yards, maybe 1 guy.  I also don't see Smith getting 1,000 yards because he will likely only get limited carries early on because he is a true freshman, I just don't think he'll get enough carries to crack 1,000.  I sure hope I am  wrong on both of my statements however!  I think the load will be distributed so it may be tough for any of them to get to 1,000.

I didn't make myself clear.  I didn't mean 2 or 3 guys getting a 1,000 yards.  just that one more than likely would get the yards.  I agree smith will have few touches to start.  I have a feeling as the season progresses he will get many more touches.  It is still a small chance though that he reaches 1k yards.  It is more likely a committee approach.

• 1 month later...

I don't see why not. I guess it remains to be seen how Rudy will utilize the stable of backs but I don't see why Santiago wouldn't have a shot at most of the carries. If he's half as effective as he was against FBS Wyo then he should get to 1000.

• 2 weeks later...

I say yes this year.  I think we could have 2 or 3 possible.  Then again it may be a committee approach and we have a few with many yards but no one with a 1,000.

My best guess will be Iwarri Smith.  His speed and quickness will provide him the tools to gain large chunks of yards per play.   We saw how Jer  rushed the last few games.  I think the line is ready to open some holes for the RB's.

Who are the 2 besides Smith and I assume Santiago?  Also, has UND had a year with 2 or 3 ever?  Burnell was fun to watch as was the GF Central RB...totally blanked on his name.  But I don't recall having 2 let alone 3.

Hasn't happened since 2007 with the one man show Chappell leading the way.  That was the last time the team went for over 2000 yards rushing.

We went for more of a passing attack under Muss.  Also when he said 2 or 3, he didn't mean at the same time.  He meant there are potentially 2 or 3 guys that could maybe go for 1,000 yards because we didn't know who would end up being the main guy, and was asking which one of them do we think could reach 1,000.  I was confused by that at first when I initially read it too.  

• Upvote 1

We went for more of a passing attack under Muss.  Also when he said 2 or 3, he didn't mean at the same time.  He meant there are potentially 2 or 3 guys that could maybe go for 1,000 yards because we didn't know who would end up being the main guy, and was asking which one of them do we think could reach 1,000.  I was confused by that at first when I initially read it too.  

Gotcha.  Santiago looked very, very good against the Cowgirls and not so much against Drake.  Has to be in the middle of those two performances...and really it's more on the OL than the RB in my opinion.  He has the best upside if he stays healthy.

Who are the 2 besides Smith and I assume Santiago?  Also, has UND had a year with 2 or 3 ever?  Burnell was fun to watch as was the GF Central RB...totally blanked on his name.  But I don't recall having 2 let alone 3.

to be clear, I was suggesting UND would have 2 or 3 possibilities of one RB becoming a 1,000 yd rusher.  when I made my statement Santiago was a WR.  now he seems more likely to be the one.  but the season is still young and someone else may step forward in the next couple of weeks.   As always the rushing offense depends a great deal on the OL.

• 2 weeks later...

after Saturday.

Santiago has rushed for 597.   12th in the nation.

All purpose 993 yds  ranks 9th in the nation.

Amazing.  I wonder if he could play defense a few series because of injuries.  just kidding.   without a doubt our best recruit last year.