SiouxSports.com Forum

CC Tigers at UND Fighting Sioux

jk

It's game day, so let's talk hockey.

I like UND to have one solid win this weekend, by two or three goals. I think the other game will be very close, hopefully with the good guys on the winning end.

The league is tough, and CC is desperate, so I don't think they will go quietly.

This article in today's Grand Forks Herald discusses the difficulty CC has had in scoring this season. Of course, as we saw this past weekend, bad goaltending can make a mediocre forward look like a Hobey Baker candidate. The Sioux need solid goaltending from Jake and Jordan. It doesn't have to be spectacular, just solid.

The Sioux also need to get more of their forwards scoring again. That could be tough because CC is a good defensive team and has two good goalies. I hope the forwards don't get frustrated to the point where they're making too many passes and trying to pick the corner on every shot.

Bochenski hasn't had a "bunches of goals" game or series in a while. This weekend would be a good time for that to happen.

As Blais mentioned during the coaches show Wednesday, the defensemen have to get more involved in the scoring. They need to get the puck to the net from the blue line. Lately, it seems as if the D-men have been very tentative in taking those shots. They hesitate before shooting and telegraph the shot, which is then blocked.

It should be an interesting series. I agree with jk about CC being desperate. They aren't going to roll over and die. It will take a 100 percent effort from the Sioux both nights.

This weekend will be the watershed series for UND...the team either has the moxie to stand up and take its game to its opponent or it doesn't. There will be no room for losing to this team...UND is either a legitimate contender and top-ranked team or it is not...

I say it's time for UND to show they are THE team in the WCHA by bringing the A-game to bear every night from now until the NCAA Championship Game. Mental slips are no longer acceptable. No more "rays of hope" for the other, weaker teams. No more projecting a "beatable" image. UND must project its dominance and overwhelm its opponents with superior talent. It's time to slam the door.

Let's Go Sioux!!!!

It will be a great series. Most any WCHA series in mid-February always is.

CC does have their backs pinned to the wall. They are a fine skating club. They will be ready.

The Springs crowd has to be sick over the increasing possibility of missing out on hosting the West Regional.

A sweep, or split, with the Sioux will really help them on that front.

This may not be the place to ask, but which is it . . . .

Does the regular season champ, or the Final Five champ, get an automatic bid into the Big Skate?

I think the Sioux will come out with some good jump tonight, the key will be to sustain it throughout the weekend. Something they obviously did not do in Madison. It will be a good boost to be at home this weekend, hopefully the crowd is into it. The key for me to this year's team the rest of the way is balanced scoring and goaltending. The goalies have got to be solid, you cannot let in soft goals at this time of the year. There has got to be more production from lines 2-4. At times it has been there, but it is still fairly inconsistent. The money line will not carry us to Boston, we need more balanced scoring. I would like to see Stafford get a couple this weekend, he seems to be in a big slump since the World Jr's.

As Blais mentioned during the coaches show Wednesday, the defensemen have to get more involved in the scoring. They need to get the puck to the net from the blue line. Lately, it seems as if the D-men have been very tentative in taking those shots. They hesitate before shooting and telegraph the shot, which is then blocked.

Agreed. And the biggest culprit? Andy Schneider. It baffles me how often Schneider - all our D - seem to fire the puck directly into an opponents' shin pads. It doesn't take a ton of hockey sense to adjust and start faking a shot and step around the forward.

As far as the D as a whole producing more offensively, you don't need to be an end-to-end type like Paul Coffey, or even a Travis Roche, to be more involved in the offense. Just move the puck smartly and, most importantly, get it to the net. Guys like Nick Naumenko, Curtis Murphy and Brad Williamson didn't put up their big point totals by leading the rush as much as the produced points by making good decisions, getting the puck to the right people or getting the puck to the net. Surprisingly, the current blueliner who might best fit that mold is Robbie Bina.

It will be nice to get Kyle Radke here next year. I do not feel our current corps of D move the puck that well. They are more into playing the physical game and standing up the opposition at the blue line. Jones and Fuher move the puck the best of the d-men. Schneider has taken a step back this year IMO. Smaby has enough problems defensively without worrying about any offense. He has potential but he is pretty raw.

I think that our D-men have shown that they are capable of making plays on rushes and in putting the puck on net from the blue line. Blais said the Schneider, Jones and Fuher can all do it. But lately, for whatever reason, they've gotten away from it.

Smaby definitely has potentital, but the first thing he needs to do is quit jumping out of position to make the big hit. That's not necessarily a bad thing to do on occasion, but he's been doing it more and more frequently. Making matters worse, he's been missing the hits lately. So he's not only taking himself out of position, he isn't taking any opposing forwards with him.

He'd be better served to focus on playing well positionally and picking his spots better, as far as the big hit.

After getting swept Blais likes to change up the lineup, who are going to be scratches for this weekend. I'm expecting JB and JP to play this weekend, but NZ as the backup for both games (assuming his hand is healed). This should be a good series to have TP play, CC is supposed to be very physical, should be more finesse games. Also I'm sure Blais will try and get him in the lineup more being he's a senior. I still think Massen could contribute if he is on the PP. He is good in front of the net, quick hands and big frame. It seems JM hasn't gotten much of a chance this season, it's hard to contribute playing off and on with the fourth line. I think Bina and Porter are tied as the surprise players of the year. Porter was expected to play a regular shift, but in a checking role, its nice to see him as a consistant scorer. Bina is probably the smartest D-man, very good passer. Wish I could see the hit people were talking about from last Sat.

I thought Bina looked very good at bringing up the puck last weekend. One of the only ways to beat the trap is to have a D man rush the puck. I want to puke every time I see one of sticks go in the air for a slap shot and we hold it, hold it, then shoot it. Into the shin pads of some forward.

Get some traffic and take a wrist shot. Let a guy like Stafford get a deflection.

Getting back the scoring depth is a must. CRASH THE NET. I think the other lines try to get to pretty like the Money Line. Just put the puck on net and get a rebound.

I've also noticed lately, that we dump and then change lines. One guy skates in while the other two change. It just seems like whenever we hit the offensive zone we are going on a line change.

Even if the goalies struggle this weekend I will see a silver lining if we can get some scoring across ALL or most of the lines this weekend. Balanced scoring throughout the lineup will make us very difficult to beat. Let's get that back.

Then let's see the goaltending return to solid form, as stated above. Just solid is necessary.

That's all I need to see this weekend. The 4 points will come with.

I thought Bina looked very good at bringing up the puck last weekend. One of the only ways to beat the trap is to have a D man rush the puck. I want to puke every time I see one of sticks go in the air for a slap shot and we hold it, hold it, then shoot it. Into the shin pads of some forward.

Get some traffic and take a wrist shot. Let a guy like Stafford get a deflection.

Getting back the scoring depth is a must. CRASH THE NET. I think the other lines try to get to pretty like the Money Line. Just put the puck on net and get a rebound.

I've also noticed lately, that we dump and then change lines. One guy skates in while the other two change. It just seems like whenever we hit the offensive zone we are going on a line change.

I agree completely. Every time we have crashed the net, we've at least had an opportunity to score. Yes, I know the downside of crashing the net is the possibility of an odd man rush the other way, but we are such a solid defensive team that I think, if we keep our heads in it, we can defend against it or come back from it if the unfortunate happens.

I see Stafford, Porter, Massen, Bochenski (who is the only one so far I've noticed crash the net), McMahon, Prpich, and maybe even Fabian could be the answer to who should crash the net.

The Detroit Redwings send a big forward to screen the goalie (Tomas Holmstrom) and it works very well. A big forward with some stick handling and awareness skills would be a good idea. And I define big as solid on the stick, good skates under him and such. I think even Murray or Jones could do it, but I'd prefer the Dmen stick out on the blue line.

I agree completely. Every time we have crashed the net, we've at least had an opportunity to score. Yes, I know the downside of crashing the net is the possibility of an odd man rush the other way, but we are such a solid defensive team that I think, if we keep our heads in it, we can defend against it or come back from it if the unfortunate happens.

I see Stafford, Porter, Massen, Bochenski (who is the only one so far I've noticed crash the net), McMahon, Prpich, and maybe even Fabian could be the answer to who should crash the net.

The Detroit Redwings send a big forward to screen the goalie (Tomas Holmstrom) and it works very well. A big forward with some stick handling and awareness skills would be a good idea. And I define big as solid on the stick, good skates under him and such. I think even Murray or Jones could do it, but I'd prefer the Dmen stick out on the blue line.

The only games I've seen lately was Minnesota and Wisco. The way both of those teams stopped us, was by keeping us along the boards. Getting shots is good, but if the goalie is playing well, they'll stop shots from the outside. We just need to muck things up in front of the net and get some ugly hard working goals.

1. D involved in scoring.

2. Block shots.

3. Cycle, no need to take the shot after entering zone, play as a team.

4. Contribution from everyone.

Check, Check, Check, Check and checks some more. Bang the oppostion in the corners and crash the net. Muck it up and throw the body around. Never let up and show them who can play more physical. Don't except anything but 4 points. Drive to the net and get the Defense involved in the rushes up ice. Line up at the blue line and make the C.C. forwards dump and chase.

If I was the coach I would tell Matt Greene and Matt Smaby to hit everything that moves but play under control. To take stupid penatlies.

The way both of those teams stopped us, was by keeping us along the boards.

Like I said in the Wisconsin thread, it looks like a lot of our players are afraid to take a hit. We are a pretty quick team, so we should be able to skate through some of the checks. I would also think that clutch and grab stuff will be called more frequently in the center of the ice compared to along the boards.

I live in Colorado Springs and have watched and listened to CC all year. Don't let their record fool you, they are a solid club. Had problems with injuries and sickness but everyone appears to be healthy. Solid goaltending. Remember, McElhinney was All-WCHA last year and the freshman Zabba has stepped up. We have to pepper them early. They get stronger as the game goes on. Their power play is starting to click. Owens commented on it during the coaches show this week and said that since the Sioux attack when shorthanded they have really worked hard this week at moving the puck quickly to find the open man. Key will be to not give them too many chances. Sertich is tough and Slattengren is a goal scorer. Owens also made the comment that CC is 4-0-2 against the Sioux the last 6 and that their kids are confident they can come into the Forks and get a win or two.

It will take a solid effort for a couple of W's. I do agree that anything less than 4 points this weekend will be a dissapointment. Sioux have to wash that bad Badger taste away ASAP. Let's beat up CC this weekend so that the Tigers exact some revenge next week against the Dogs.

Also, am psyched that we get the Saturday game on TV here. LET'S PLAY SOME HOCKEY.