Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fetch

Twins ?

Recommended Posts

Just when I wanted to start believing, they go lay an egg against KC. :lol:

p.s. What's wrong with the Yankees? They got walked off by Baltimore last night who couldn't even win a single game in a four game series. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Oh now they start to win... (yes against less than stellar competition but whatever)

I still don't see them making a run at the playoffs. If that's the case, now's a good time to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I still don't see them making a run at the playoffs. If that's the case, now's a good time to sell.

If only they had done better on the last road trip.  3-4 wins would make the picture a LOT different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 12:29 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

If only they had done better on the last road trip.  3-4 wins would make the picture a LOT different. 

Yep, the first couple weeks out of the break will be telling. I think they have seven games against Cleveland during that stretch.

 

That being said, I agree with SWSioux. It's time to start selling. I'd start with Dozier before he cools off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baseball Commissioner Manfred has stated that expansion to 32 teams is preferred for the future.  He listed Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, Las Vegas, Montreal or Mexico City as possible locations.  But first, Tampa Bay and Oakland must new stadiums. Eight divisions with four teams each are preferred.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/07/17/mlb-major-league-baseball-nashville-tn-expansion-rob-manfred/793828002/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really doubt Nashville is possible anytime soon. They just built a minor league stadium that can't be expanded. I grew up I the area and it is also mostly Braves country as to the traditional fanbase. 

My bet would be Charlotte before Nashville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, northernraider said:

I really doubt Nashville is possible anytime soon. They just built a minor league stadium that can't be expanded. I grew up I the area and it is also mostly Braves country as to the traditional fanbase. 

My bet would be Charlotte before Nashville. 

Would agree that North Carolina would get in as that state has so much population, and SC adds 40%.  Nashville has been growing so much though, and a Nashville team has Memphis, outstate TN, northern AL including Birmingham,  and most of Kentucky to draw from.  Nashville might actually be ahead of those other cities listed.  The Braves used to have all of the SE as a fan base because other southeast cities weren’t developed enough.  New Orleans used to be touted for a team, but numerous SE cities would be much better now.

Sacramento and Orlando are bigger metros than either Charlotte or Nashville, but they are too close to Oakland and Tampa Bay to warrant expansion.  San Antonio-Austin is growing very fast and has a huge population, but guess the Rangers and Astros would fiercely object.  Indianapolis is another city that doesn’t get much respect from MLB, but the Chicago teams and Cindy would be fiercely against them.  New Jersey can support a team too as that would give NYC metro three teams, but again the NYC teams and Phillly would be against.

The last time MLB was proposing expansion, a proposed Nashville owner actually presented a stadium plan that resembled a guitar shape.  The Nashville Sounds AAA team has a scoreboard that is guitar shaped.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything Vegas touches turns to gold, that wouldn't surprise me. Does have the Raiders moving there in the next couple of years help or hurt the chances of a MLB team there also?

 

I don't follow the NBA much but I have to imagine they are going to want to get in on that market after seeing what the Knights did to the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland's moves yesterday should signal to the Twins that they should start to sell.  Rumors of Dozier being traded are starting to heat up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Cleveland's moves yesterday should signal to the Twins that they should start to sell.  Rumors of Dozier being traded are starting to heat up

Let’s hope Dozier heats up the next week or so. Get his value up there a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Dozier, but I agree. Don't give him a way for nothing, but if the Twins get even a decent offer for him I think they need to take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Everything Vegas touches turns to gold, that wouldn't surprise me. Does have the Raiders moving there in the next couple of years help or hurt the chances of a MLB team there also?

 

I don't follow the NBA much but I have to imagine they are going to want to get in on that market after seeing what the Knights did to the NHL.

A casino owner recently said Vegas would get an NBA team.  MLB baseball normally like to fill an empty spot on the US map, but the center has to have enough people and fans to get a substantial fanbase for 81 games.  Vegas isn’t big enough yet, an exempt for Reno and maybe Utah, doesn’t have that much of a market.  NBA, NHL, and NFL don’t need nearly as many people as the NFL is mostly weeekend games and Raider fans travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MikeBerardino
·
Jul 18
Of CLE’s 67 remaining games, 13 (19.4 pct) are against teams that have a winning record: 

7 vs BOS (38 over)
3 vs LAA (1 over)
3 vs TB (2 over)

#mntwins face 27 such opponents (39.7) in final 68: 

4 vs BOS (38 over)
3 vs NYY (29) 
3 vs HOU (29)
7 vs OAK (13)
10 vs CLE (9)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

A casino owner recently said Vegas would get an NBA team.  MLB baseball normally like to fill an empty spot on the US map, but the center has to have enough people and fans to get a substantial fanbase for 81 games.  Vegas isn’t big enough yet, an exempt for Reno and maybe Utah, doesn’t have that much of a market.  NBA, NHL, and NFL don’t need nearly as many people as the NFL is mostly weeekend games and Raider fans travel.

A former NBA player is building a resort with a arena for an NBA team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A casino owner recently said Vegas would get an NBA team.  MLB baseball normally like to fill an empty spot on the US map, but the center has to have enough people and fans to get a substantial fanbase for 81 games.  Vegas isn’t big enough yet, an exempt for Reno and maybe Utah, doesn’t have that much of a market.  NBA, NHL, and NFL don’t need nearly as many people as the NFL is mostly weeekend games and Raider fans travel.

Couldn’t they thrive on opposing fans making road trips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HockeyFan31 said:

Couldn’t they thrive on opposing fans making road trips?

That’s what the casinos want.  But if a Vegas team ever made the playoffs, the stands would be empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

@MikeBerardino
·
Jul 18
Of CLE’s 67 remaining games, 13 (19.4 pct) are against teams that have a winning record: 

7 vs BOS (38 over)
3 vs LAA (1 over)
3 vs TB (2 over)

#mntwins face 27 such opponents (39.7) in final 68: 

4 vs BOS (38 over)
3 vs NYY (29) 
3 vs HOU (29)
7 vs OAK (13)
10 vs CLE (9)

Follow the A’s, and they gotten fat off of the weak Central Division teams and they haven’t played the Twins yet.  Just getting several starting pitchers back, their young hitters have been batting the ball out, and their relief pitching with Trivino and Treinen (SDSU grad) may be the best in baseball.  The last month they are like 20 games ahead of .500, negating the pitching injuries and below .500 record that happened earlier.  Billy Beane’s magic may be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Twins need to get hot quick,  obviously.

The Oakland A’s beat the Texas Rangers in 10 innings, 13-10.  They were behind 10-2 after 6.  The first time they have won a game behind by 8 after 6 innings since they were the Philadelphia A’s and beat the St Louis Browns back in 1939.  Have hit four HR’s in three consecutive games.  Have gained 7 games in the last 22.  16 of their last 25 wins have been comebacks.

https://deadspin.com/god-help-me-im-starting-to-believe-in-the-as-again-1827861048

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s see how they do in Boston. They go 2-2 that would be a victory. I still say sell sell sell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The A’s were behind 5-1 the Rangers after six.  Khris Davis then hits a three run HR in the 7th.  He hits a two run homer with one strike left in the ninth.  Treinen then strikes out the side in the bottom of the ninth.  Davis has hit six homers in three games.  A’s 6, Rangers 5, F.  17 of their last 26 wins have been come back victories.  But their 4 HR streak was snapped as they only hit two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Let’s see how they do in Boston. They go 2-2 that would be a victory. I still say sell sell sell 

Agreed. Think any realists should be able to tell that even if the Twins somehow miraculously run down Cleveland, they don't stand a great chance of going anywhere in the postseason. Especially with as good as the AL is.

At the same time, if the organization sees any chance of making the playoffs, it's tough to turn down a couple home playoff games.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twins had too many things go wrong early and had 2 really bad losing streaks and their inability to beat up anybody else but Cleveland in their division has cost them.

#1 and #1A for this organization is figuring it out what to do with Buxton and Sano.  I think they have enough in-house to solve the rotation problem outside of Berrios and the bullpen.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×