SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Grant Paranikka

kingranch

Rumor has it that he will step down as his soon is graduation

His son is graduating, so it wouldn't surprise me. I believe Central absolutely has to have a "name" coach in order to remain competitive, which generally means an ex-UND player. Without getting south end kids through open enrollment, Central hockey likely won't be much better than Central football and basketball, which have been among the worst in the state over the last five to eight years.

His son is graduating, so it wouldn't surprise me. I believe Central absolutely has to have a "name" coach in order to remain competitive, which generally means an ex-UND player. Without getting south end kids through open enrollment, Central hockey likely won't be much better than Central football and basketball, which have been among the worst in the state over the last five to eight years.

Central will be fine for the next two years as they have a great Sophomore class in both baseball and hockey. Grant's son does graduate but I'm not convinced he quits yet. Still wants to win himself. With open enrollment it's tough for Central as GF is only growing south just like it is for Fargo North, then Fargo South as allot kids go to Davies.  

1984, 1993, 1995, 2003, 2004, 2010 these are Central's championship years going back 31 years.  This year is the 5th year in the drought, Central went though 9 years, 8 years, and 6 years of a drought. Does Grant need to be fired.....NO!

1984, 1993, 1995, 2003, 2004, 2010 these are Central's championship years going back 31 years. This year is the 5th year in the drought, Central went though 9 years, 8 years, and 6 years of a drought. Does Grant need to be fired.....NO!

Only 6 championships in 31 years? What's the problem there at Central?

(I kid, I kid)

Central will be fine for the next two years as they have a great Sophomore class in both baseball and hockey. Grant's son does graduate but I'm not convinced he quits yet. Still wants to win himself. With open enrollment it's tough for Central as GF is only growing south just like it is for Fargo North, then Fargo South as allot kids go to Davies.  

Just curious--any idea how many of those kids (overall numbers, not necessarily names) live in the Red River district, and open-enroll into Central? That seems to be a big part of the reason for much of the success Central has managed to have in the 2000's--Marto, the Lamoureux's, Luke Johnson, Simonson (?), etc. I'm not convinced that kind of thing will go on indefinitely. It certainly hasn't in other sports.

Just curious--any idea how many of those kids (overall numbers, not necessarily names) live in the Red River district, and open-enroll into Central? That seems to be a big part of the reason for much of the success Central has managed to have in the 2000's--Marto, the Lamoureux's, Luke Johnson, Simonson (?), etc. I'm not convinced that kind of thing will go on indefinitely. It certainly hasn't in other sports.

They need to move the line if they stop open enrollment.

They need to move the line if they stop open enrollment.

I've been saying for years that instead of a north-south divide, it should be east (Central) and west (Red River). Apparently nobody on the school board agrees. I get the whole "tradition" argument, but frankly you could not possibly come up with a line that is more inequitable than where the current one is while still keeping somewhat equal enrollments.

I've been saying for years that instead of a north-south divide, it should be east (Central) and west (Red River). Apparently nobody on the school board agrees. I get the whole "tradition" argument, but frankly you could not possibly come up with a line that is more inequitable than where the current one is while still keeping somewhat equal enrollments.

Where would your divide line be? Columbia? 42nd St?

Where would your divide line be? Columbia? 42nd St?

I don't know for sure, but I was thinking part of it would be Washington. I don't have any idea how it would work out population-wise, but I believe it's important to come up with a plan that has the Central district include some of the newer developments in town (besides Congressional, which really just replaced housing lost in the flood).

There are a lot of newer developments on either side of Washington. Besides Congressional/Promenade, I believe virtually every new development in Grand Forks since at least the early 1980's has been in the Red River district.

When you look at the elementary school situation in Grand Forks, there are currently two "mega schools"--Kelly and Century. A third will open next school year. All three are 100% in the Red River district. Therein lies a big part of the problem.