SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs. Denver - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

I don't question that, and I also don't pretend to know the rules very well.  But just because Drake flipped and came down on his head doesn't automatically mean it's a game hit, does it?   A good hip check will do that, and it wasn't a blind side hit or Drake would not have jumped to avoid the check.  But like I say, I don't know the rules.   

Important thing is that he's ok. 

How about the fact that the puck was no where near Drake when the hit took place?  Does that change the game misconduct side of it?  If Drake has the puck, and instead of hip checking him off the puck, the defense goes low and takes out his legs, yes, I could see the argument where that was a 5 and not a game misconduct.  But, Drake didn't have the puck, was behind the play, and Moore still went low on possibly the smallest guy on the ice.  Dirty, dirty hit that needed a game misconduct, and supplemental discipline.  Moore shouldn't be playing in DU's next series.

• Upvote 1

How about the fact that the puck was no where near Drake when the hit took place?  Does that change the game misconduct side of it?  If Drake has the puck, and instead of hip checking him off the puck, the defense goes low and takes out his legs, yes, I could see the argument where that was a 5 and not a game misconduct.  But, Drake didn't have the puck, was behind the play, and Moore still went low on possibly the smallest guy on the ice.  Dirty, dirty hit that needed a game misconduct, and supplemental discipline.  Moore shouldn't be playing in DU's next series.

The fact that he did not have the puck is a good point, and it seems like a more important factor than the hit itself, and that might deserve a game or more.  But it's more of this "finishing your checks" stuff that I've always had some problem with.  Drake had just touched the puck shortly before that, and guys get run all the time after they have lost contact with the puck.   I'm not justifying it--more hits should get called that fall under finishing checks, IMO.   Would that check have been a minor if Drake had still been carrying the puck?  Honest question--I don't know. 

How about the fact that the puck was no where near Drake when the hit took place? Does that change the game misconduct side of it? If Drake has the puck, and instead of hip checking him off the puck, the defense goes low and takes out his legs, yes, I could see the argument where that was a 5 and not a game misconduct. But, Drake didn't have the puck, was behind the play, and Moore still went low on possibly the smallest guy on the ice. Dirty, dirty hit that needed a game misconduct, and supplemental discipline. Moore shouldn't be playing in DU's next series.

Since it is against CC and not one of the leading pack, I agree!?. But since that would basically admit they screwed up big time, it won't happen.

Compare to this hit that has the NHL in an uproar this morning...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/tyler-seguin-downed-by--dirty-shot--against-florida--eaves-and-hemsky-also-hurt-070006307.html

Seguin was at least playing the puck...

Exact hit, and the same call plus the game misco. As you said, a higher hip check in this case (on Seguin) would have been totally legal, as the puck was there.

The NHL referee got it right, the NCHC crew, did not.

The fact that he did not have the puck is a good point, and it seems like a more important factor than the hit itself, and that might deserve a game or more. But it's more of this "finishing your checks" stuff that I've always had some problem with. Drake had just touched the puck shortly before that, and guys get run all the time after they have lost contact with the puck. I'm not justifying it--more hits should get called that fall under finishing checks, IMO. Would that check have been a minor if Drake had still been carrying the puck? Honest question--I don't know.

It was a major, with or without the puck, because it was low
  • Upvote 1

Exact hit, and the same call plus the game misco. As you said, a higher hip check in this case (on Seguin) would have been totally legal, as the puck was there.

Exact hit except Seguin had the puck and a split second got rid of it before the hit. Caggiula wasn't close to having the puck.

Exact hit except Seguin had the puck and a split second got rid of it before the hit. Caggiula wasn't close to having the puck.

That was my point.  And STILL has the NHL in a buxz because it's a dirty hit.  This has nothing to do with "finish your check", it has everything to do with "don't hit a player below the knees".  Spearing, kneeing, clipping...all cheap shots in hockey.  All of those should be five and a game.  Every time.

• Upvote 1

That was my point.  And STILL has the NHL in a buxz because it's a dirty hit.  This has nothing to do with "finish your check", it has everything to do with "don't hit a player below the knees".  Spearing, kneeing, clipping...all cheap shots in hockey.  All of those should be five and a game.  Every time.

I'm trying to get there, but it sounds like you do not think it was a late hit, but all clipping penalties should be gamers.   

I'm trying to get there, but it sounds like you do not think it was a late hit, but all clipping penalties should be gamers.   

Correct.  Clipping (defined as hitting below the knees) is not only dangerous, but a cheap/dirty hit and often results in injury to the hit player.  With the puck or without, this should be five and a game.  The fact that it was without tells me there was intent to injure on Moore's part, even more reason to toss him from the game.  The ref's totally blew the call.  (imho)

If drake lays there and milks it they eject the du clown not even questioned. You'll see teams do that a lot these days. Piss poor calls on the non goals as well. Du hockey is lucky as hell and they know it to get some points. Outplayed and went dirty again like Paukavich. If you would like to fill that little arena someday just schedule the sioux a few weekends a year. UND can play their neutral non conf games at magness. Fans could help selling seats and concessions for once. Title will come down to UND @ Miami to close season.

Thought pattyn would go radke/vossberg. Moore will get his someday soon if he keeps those hits up.

• Upvote 1

Compare to this hit that has the NHL in an uproar this morning...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/tyler-seguin-downed-by--dirty-shot--against-florida--eaves-and-hemsky-also-hurt-070006307.html

Seguin was at least playing the puck...

That's exacty what I compared it to. Seguins just happened to result in an injury. Moore should sit next game imho.

With all due respect, whether Moore's hit was worthy of a game or not, it was not in the same class of dirty as the Paukovich hit on Bina.

Well yeah that's obvious. Cheap hit vs cheap hit and another du one . Thats my Angle. Moore shouldn't have been playing that's the main point and many many rules have changed on many levels of hockey to try and prevent this garbage last 10 years

If drake lays there and milks it they eject the du clown not even questioned. You'll see teams do that a lot these days. Piss poor calls on the non goals as well. Du hockey is lucky as hell and they know it to get some points. Outplayed and went dirty again like Paukavich. If you would like to fill that little arena someday just schedule the sioux a few weekends a year. UND can play their neutral non conf games at magness. Fans could help selling seats and concessions for once. Title will come down to UND @ Miami to close season.

Thought pattyn would go radke/vossberg. Moore will get his someday soon if he keeps those hits up.

Agreed on all counts.  I was expecting Moore to get a "free ride in Wehr's corner".  

Agreed on all counts. I was expecting Moore to get a "free ride in Wehr's corner".

Drake had him lined up shortly after and barely missed down in the corner on the boards. He was coming in hot and Moore for sure had the head on swivel. Bummer Drake missed

How could there be intent to blow the whistle when the puck was never stopped? The rebound went out to OD, he shot it in the net. The only time the puck stopped  was when it was in the net.

$1M question from a not so great hockey mind; intent to blow the whistle for what reason? Was the ref about to call a penalty, did he lose sight of the puck,...? Did they give an official reason as to why there "was intent to blow the whistle"? There had to be a reason unless it's an outright lie.

I guess when you say clipping, I understand it in the context of cheap shots, but I also enjoy the lost art of the Curtis Murphy, Glen Klotz hip check, which many times turns players head over heels. It isn't easy to get below the knees and stay on your skates. Now if you submarine someone with the sole intention of taking out their knees, it should be a major and game automatically.

I guess when you say clipping, I understand it in the context of cheap shots, but I also enjoy the lost art of the Curtis Murphy, Glen Klotz hip check, which many times turns players head over heels. It isn't easy to get below the knees and stay on your skates. Now if you submarine someone with the sole intention of taking out their knees, it should be a major and game automatically.

You've seen the play, right?  That's exactly what we're talking about.