SiouxSports.com Forum

New NHL Rules Proposals

dickgraham

Listening to Bruno (Minnnesota Wild), on the PA and Dubey show on the Fan this morning, talk about the new NHL rule proposals. He liked the prospect of decreasing the size of goalie pads and equipment but was really excited about the proposal to move the nets back a couple of feet towards the boards. This would get more action in front of the net and cut down on the amount of cycling that occures in todalys game. I'm wondering if the NHL adopts these rules, would the NCAA also adopt them?

DG

I would definitely say no, the college game would not adopt those rules. In my opinion the college game has plenty of scoring and is plenty wide-open and I do not think any major changes need to be made to the rules. The NHL on the other hand needs to open up the game and let the best players in the game utilize their skill. The NHL has become too predictable and needs some rule changes to allow more scoring and not so many 2-1 games. It seems like it is a rare occurence when the Wild scores more than 2 goals. I would rather watch college hockey than pro hockey any day, to me it keeps you more on the edge of your seat.

For those who don't follow the NHL, GM's propose big changes.

I find it interesting that Blais started pushing the NCAA to adopt the 1 pt for making OT rule, just as the NHL is considering revamping to give 3 pts for a win, 2 pts for an OT win, and 1 pt for an OT loss. The nice thing about that change is that it would return hockey standings to match win% (which they currently don't).

For those who don't follow the NHL, GM's propose big changes.

I find it interesting that Blais started pushing the NCAA to adopt the 1 pt for making OT rule, just as the NHL is considering revamping to give 3 pts for a win, 2 pts for an OT win, and 1 pt for an OT loss. The nice thing about that change is that it would return hockey standings to match win% (which they currently don't).

I think CB should promote the three point system. I don't think the shootout will take, but I would offer one point for both teams getting the tie. I think that would stop some teams from just doing the trap or clutch-and-grab play to get to OT.

I agreed with Brodeur even before I read his comments. No one prevented Gretzky from handling the puck, why prevent a goalie from trying to handle it as well? if they are good or better than their peers, more power to them, and don't play into their strength. However, if the curved goalie stick helps them maybe you make them play with straight sticks.

I say modify the equipment, but let the guys play.

Well, depending on which message board you are on, if someone suggests changing college rules to how it is done in the NHL you are at a minimum only interested in helping your own school or at worst the anti-christ. :)

did you mean the BADgers or JBSU? :lol:

WPoS

But if the NHL wants to generate more scoring, get rid of the stupid 2 line pass rule!
I agree. That would open up the game more than the rest of the proposed changes combined.

But the league is at a state right now that it looks like they don't know what they're doing and they're just looking for ways to try to improve the game. Coming from people that know hockey, it's amazing that they're about to come out with these things.

The league is putting a painfully boring product on the ice. Joe Consumer, such as myself, will not shell out $100 a pop to have a boring time. So, you can either change the rules to make the game entertaining for the mainstream, or you can listen to the people that "know hockey" and buckle up for a contraction of 8 to 10 teams. It is another case of being "all about the Benjamins".

Personally I don't mind low scoring games as long as the goalies are making good saves. I do realize that most people like to see scoring...and not goaltending. I like the idea of cutting down the size of the pads, from 12 to 10 inches. I also wouldn't mind seeing the net pushed back a bit. However, I think it is ridiculous to limit where the goaltender can handle the puck. Some goalies are better at handle the puck so let them use that to the teams advantage. I also like the idea of eliminating the two-line pass rule.

As for college rules, don't make any changes. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I don't get the increase in the blue lines. So what, a whole extra foot or two. Just get rid of the two line pass. You know Illya Kovalchuk would cherry pick, and if it's icing, so what? He'll still get to the puck first and icing will be waved off.

I love the allowing a goal to count if the net is bumped rule. It is so rare that bumping the post affects a goal. This is bball where their is only a few inches of room to work with.

They'll never call the break away/penalty shot. They don't even call it now unless you are already withing a couple feet of the goaltender.

I have a radical idea that would improve the game and result and more scoring - enforce the rules on hooking and holding. Can't tell ya how tired I am of seeing someone put a stick in a players mid-section for a second or two to slow them down. This definitely reduces the number of odd-man rushes and therefore good scoring chances.

I have a radical idea that would improve the game and result and more scoring - enforce the rules on hooking and holding. Can't tell ya how tired I am of seeing someone put a stick in a players mid-section for a second or two to slow them down. This definitely reduces the number of odd-man rushes and therefore good scoring chances.

In the NHL they'll call the hook only if a player dives. So then they have to call the dive. Players shouldn't have to resort to taking dives for infractions to be noticed by officials.

tboneund and rochsioux already hit my two main thoughts. The rule book still officially prohibits hooking and holding. When I see a game from the '70s or '80s on ESPN Classic, you don't see much of it because the refs actually called it. Modern refs probably don't even remember the hand signal for the calls. The other big issue is the two line pass. It artificailly slows down the game. Allowing two line passes would open up the game for the skilled players.

never happen, Mason/Shep/Adam would have to learn how to blow then...wait, they already BLOW!

WPoS

Funny, a goph fan on USCHO, I believe, listed those three as the best in the WCHA, with Campion and Schmidt the worst. I'd have reversed it.

tboneund and rochsioux already hit my two main thoughts. The rule book still officially prohibits hooking and holding. When I see a game from the '70s or '80s on ESPN Classic, you don't see much of it because the refs actually called it. Modern refs probably don't even remember the hand signal for the calls. The other big issue is the two line pass. It artificailly slows down the game. Allowing two line passes would open up the game for the skilled players.

Oh the officials know how to call it, but they don't understand those rules.

They call holding when they can't figure out what the actual infraction (if there actually is one) is.

They rarely call hoocking though. I've seen hooking penalties called as high sticking before.

The rare rules that they for sure don't know about is the rules concerning breakaways. They don't know what the call is for a penalty shot.

I agree, for some reason officials at the college level do not like to award a penalty shot. I'm not saying they happen all the time, but they seldom award one, even though there are many instances throughout a season where a team should probably have had one.

Yup. If they gave one to Parise at Wisco, that might have turned the game because he surely would have scored.... or I'd like to think so. :D