SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-4) @ Idaho (2-4)

SWSiouxMN

UND hits the road to take on the new(old) kids on the block for the only time this season.

UND needs to steal a few on the road to get back into the conference playoff picture, this game presents an opportunity to do so.  Idaho has been up and down this year, playing like a top 3 team and then playing like a bottom team.  Uptempo style, crashes the boards very well, and can shoot. 

UND needs to bring their effort from the home stand, make some adjustments, rebound well, shoot well, play smart discipline basketball to get this one.

Other Games:

Sac @ ISU

PSU @ WEB

SUU @ MSU

NAU @ MONT

UNC @ EWU

What they need is to put Coleman in the starting lineup and not start one of our point guards and then maybe we can at least equal Utah's rebound total and win a game. 

Yes, because he was such a rebounding machine in the last game--(1)?  Hate to tell you this, but all 3 of our guards have been bringing something 2 the table, and need to be on the floor.   De Rouen, is energetic and if watch closely, he knows what we are suppose to be doing on D, not just him, but the entire team. Defensively we are much better team when he is on the floor, because of his on ball pressure up top.   When he's out, that's when our D has looked the shakiest to me.  Hooker, has been playing well since conference play started, you can't take him out.   And Tyler, has shown what he can bring.   Against Marquette, SDSU, and Northern Colorado, he has shown that he gives a multidimensional scoring threat, even in a game he struggled to score himself, he showed the ability to get others involved with 6 assists v. Montana State.  

Maybe we should be talking about swapping Coleman for Nash? But at the same Coleman sometimes he too can get lost defensively  which basically in that swap is a wash. I'm not blaming Coleman as that's not unheard of when you come to a new program.

I don't think anyone is saying that Coleman should flat out take someone's spot, at least I am not.  But I think he should be utilized more.  Tyler is streaky.  De Rouen is constantly in foul trouble.  Hooker is playing 37 minutes a game in league play.  These guys were exhausted in the OT last Saturday, you could tell from the stands.  I just think everybody would benefit if Coleman were in the regular rotation and getting 15-20 minutes a game, instead of 7 one night, then 0 the next. 

Yes, because he was such a rebounding machine in the last game--(1)?  Hate to tell you this, but all 3 of our guards have been bringing something 2 the table, and need to be on the floor.   De Rouen, is energetic and if watch closely, he knows what we are suppose to be doing on D, not just him, but the entire team. Defensively we are much better team when he is on the floor, because of his on ball pressure up top.   When he's out, that's when our D has looked the shakiest to me.  Hooker, has been playing well since conference play started, you can't take him out.   And Tyler, has shown what he can bring.   Against Marquette, SDSU, and Northern Colorado, he has shown that he gives a multidimensional scoring threat, even in a game he struggled to score himself, he showed the ability to get others involved with 6 assists v. Montana State.  

Maybe we should be talking about swapping Coleman for Nash? But at the same Coleman sometimes he too can get lost defensively  which basically in that swap is a wash. I'm not blaming Coleman as that's not unheard of when you come to a new program.

So you don't think a change is necessary in our starting lineup being the fact we have been out rebounded badly in every game playing 3 small guards

a majority of the minutes.  Losing 3 straight at home alone justifies a change to bring a taller lineup as we are losing close games and a rebound here or there could have made a difference.  Yes, each guard brings something but they can all be played 28-30 minutes in a rotation so they are strong at the end and also gives us a better chance or rebounds with guys like Coleman or Shields.

One more point, UND is 2-7 with the 3 small guard line up and out rebounded in every game.

• Upvote 1

This is where the program is at............... :sad:

Big Sky Thursday Night Preview

North Dakota @ Idaho
The Vandals dropped two straight road games last weekend, but return home to take on a UND team that has lost four straight. The Vandals should light up UND's defense - they have been great from behind the arc, and Sekou Wiggs should live in the lane. If any game is going to be a blowout on Thursday night, this looks like the one to me. Idaho 85, North Dakota 69

Here is what I don't get -

1. We are now being told that Huff and the boys (2013) were "D2 players...how do we know they were good recruits because nobody else offered them and we got them during D2 transition".  Then, we were told lately, on this board, that "last year's team didn't work hard and this years team does".  
  2. We have been told that this year's team (2014) is "D1 recruits", based on the fact the transition is over. So the HS/Juco kids are technically D1 recruits and the 6 others are D1 transfers.  We are also being told that this year's team "works hard and plays hard every game".  

Last years team (2013) was 12-8 in Big Sky play and 17-17 overall.  

This years teams (2014) is 1-4 in Big Sky play and 5-11 overall.  

My question:  Why aren't these true D1, hard working players doing better than those lazy D2 players we had last year?  Am I seeing it wrong?

Yeah youre comparing "year 4" of those players to "year 1" of these players.

True but not true.  These current players most of them have been in college games for several years either JUCO or transfers so its not like they are freshmen plus Hooker, Antwi, Hobaugh, Benton, Salmonson, Calc, Tyler , DeReon have been around for several years.  The class of Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Brekke proved to be good D1 players at the mid major level and as we all know if not for injuries and less selfish play could have really been good. In fact these 5 as freshmen when 3 of them currently sit in the top 10 all time scoring for freshmen ( Huff, Webb, Schuler) could beat this team today easily.  I do agree the current teams puts more effort into their defense but they could not stop Huff and company from scoring a bunch.  The past 5 would be better at every position in my opinion except one would be close.

True but not true. These current players most of them have been in college games for several years either JUCO or transfers so its not like they are freshmen plus Hooker, Antwi, Hobaugh, Benton, Salmonson, Calc, Tyler , DeReon have been around for several years. The class of Huff, Anderson, Webb, Schuler and Brekke proved to be good D1 players at the mid major level and as we all know if not for injuries and less selfish play could have really been good. In fact these 5 as freshmen when 3 of them currently sit in the top 10 all time scoring for freshmen ( Huff, Webb, Schuler) could beat this team today easily. I do agree the current teams puts more effort into their defense but they could not stop Huff and company from scoring a bunch. The past 5 would be better at every position in my opinion except one would be close.

Ill take a wild guess: Webb vs hooker?

Why do I feel like we have more unnecessary fouls than everyone we play?  That foul on the 3pt shooter their by De Reuen was just STUPID!  Pure mental....

That was stupid, but Jones' teams have always been high risk high reward defensively, which is why we often lead the league in steals every year. Results in more fouls I suppose. Seems like DeRouen is often in foul trouble.