SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph - The 3 Best and 3 Worst Games Ever

MafiaMan

There was a game several years ago against Denver where we overcame a several goal deficit to win in the third. A lot of people had already left, but I thought it was great.

That was the Kozek game.

Here's my nominee for one of the three worst...New Hampshire 7, North Dakota 4, December 29, 2007. 

UND had a 2-0 lead early in the 2nd and a 3-1 lead about midway thru the 2nd.  UNH scored to make it 3-2 UND going into the 3rd, then the wheels fell off.  UNH scores 5 goals, two of them ENG, to UND's 1 goal, to win 7-4.  Worst third period of hockey I've seen at REA.

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/2007/12/29/new-hampshire-vs-north-dakota/

I was watching on the computer in Minneapolis...I remember throwing the ice out of my whiskey with such frustration that my wife (girlfriend at the time) started yelling at me to chill out.

There was a game several years ago against Denver where we overcame a several goal deficit to win in the third. A lot of people had already left, but I thought it was great.

This one was amazing. I think the SIOUX were down 3-0 at one point and came back to win 4-3 or 5-4. The place was rocking. I remember Kozek firing in a couple I believe.

The playoff series against the goofs in 2010 (?) that went three and where fratts demolished wehrs was pretty electric as well.

Go SIOUX!

Tech swept a series in GF in the Toews and Oshie era?  Good grief...and there were no riots in Grand Forks?  The %gobc didn't fire Hak after THAT?

toews didn't play that series because he was gone to go to world juniors.  so that that only rests on oshie and duncan's shoulders ;)

2003 wcha playoff game three against denver.  that was the game that really started to give the the sioux a home ice advantage at the new ralph.

Watched that game with about half the Gofer squad at Senser's in Bloomington...Wooger and Mazzocco (Doug and the Rug) showed up as well...place was packed with Sioux fans; when the game winning goal was scored the roof blew off that place!

• Upvote 1

I meant UND's best and worst played games:

Best 3...last night, regional win vs Michigan and 6-1 thrashing vs Gophers in Oh-9.

Worst 3...BSU 2 weeks ago, St. L last Thanksgiving and vs St Cloud a couple years back w Kristo and Knight.

Those are pretty solid picks for the worst. Those are the three I was thinking as well maybe since they are all so fresh and recent. I'm sure there may have been some stinkers further back but I can't think of any of the top of my head.

I will never forget that Michigan game. I was nervous about drawing them in the first round and once Holy Cross scored in OT and the building was rocking with "Let's Go Sioux" chants 20 minutes before the Sioux came out for warm-ups I felt much more relaxed and knew Michigan was in for a rough ride. Get chills thinking about that day/weekend.

The one game that stands out in my mind was a Saturday night game against Colorado College must have been 2002 or 2003.  I remember the building was rocking, the Sioux scored 2 goals in the final 1:30 to send it to OT.  It ended in a tie, but the REA was as loud as I could ever remember.  Could have been the thunder sticks that were given out that night.

• Upvote 1

Watched that game with about half the Gofer squad at Senser's in Bloomington...Wooger and Mazzocco (Doug and the Rug) showed up as well...place was packed with Sioux fans; when the game winning goal was scored the roof blew off that place!

i was there too. It was incredible!

I would definitely put the first game at the Ralph vs. the gophs in the list for 3 worst along with the 6-0 whooping mentioned earlier and this year against bemidji st. Honorable mention would be Maine beating us something like 5-1 at home one year. Three best that I've personally attended were the 6-1 beat down to complete the sweep of the gophs in '09 when they were #3 and we were not ranked, the season opener against Michigan St. when they were coming off their natty season and we beat them 6-0, and last weekends game against providence.

i was there too. It was incredible!

The staff at Sensers had no idea what was going on...UND fans started showing up and they were very short staffed; it took forever to get a beer...me and a couple friends sat at one of the bars with the game on but no one there to serve us...Woog was walking around like he owned the place; kinda funny actually...I think maybe he and Frank got a little loose watching the game. :)

First Gopher game in the 1995-96 season. Minnesota came in with a 19 game unbeaten streak, and #1 national ranking. I was a freshman at UND and I don't think I ever heard the old Engelstad Arena that loud again. A Vancouver scout at the game told some buddies and me it was the best hockey atmosphere he'd ever seen outside of a Bruins-Habs playoff game. To top it off, UND finished the sweep the next night with a 7-5 comeback win.