SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ BSU - Saturday

AZSIOUX

ok so now we're we are trying so say BSU is the 96-97 Sioux? this love affair by our fan base with BSU has got to stop. UND needs to start treating these games like they are playing DU,Miami or anyone of our other rivals. that's part of the problem is it seems like UND doesn't want to beat up on them.

No, the point being made was that a pre-season prediction of 5th place in the conference means squat. Two games into the 1996-1997 season, did you have any inkling whatsoever that you were watching the eventual national champions?

my guess is the gophers don't piss around and hang a couple of 5 spots on BSU.  BSU isn't that good of a team.

I thought BSU looked much better than the squad they had last year. I still probably wouldn't bet on them going down and beating the Gophers on the big ice sheet but I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to really test them at least one of the nights and I think they could finish in the top half of the WCHA this year. 

I thought BSU looked much better than the squad they had last year. I still probably wouldn't bet on them going down and beating the Gophers on the big ice sheet but I wouldn't be surprised if they are able to really test them at least one of the nights and I think they could finish in the top half of the WCHA this year. 

They might not play the Gophers this year at the X.

The "big ice sheet" is the Olympic rink at Mariucci, where the Beavers play next weekend. BSU is not in the North Star Challenge Cup at the X this year. The X is NHL-sized as well.

Bemidji is in the North Star Cup this year they play Duluth first. St. Cloud is getting a home and home with Minnesota for not being in the North Star Cup, instead of getting 2 home games against Minnesota.

I think Bemidji pulls off the split against Minnesota. 

Bemidji is in the North Star Cup this year they play Duluth first. St. Cloud is getting a home and home with Minnesota for not being in the North Star Cup, instead of getting 2 home games against Minnesota.

I think Bemidji pulls off the split against Minnesota.

You are correct - CHN has the Sat night NSCC game listed as being at the Sanford Center, which threw me off. They still have two games on the "big ice" though next weekend.

ok so now we're we are trying so say BSU is the 96-97 Sioux?  this love affair by our fan base with BSU has got to stop.  UND needs to start treating these games like they are playing DU,Miami or anyone of our other rivals.  that's part of the problem is it seems like UND doesn't want to beat up on them.

No, we should have beaten Bemidji both nights and Friday night was unacceptable (Copyright Goon 2014 All Rights Reserved).  As MafiaMan said, the point is that it's very early in the season and a lot of things can happen between now and March.  I just hope those are good things for us.

Danny Mattson ended up in Serratore's doghouse last year and decided not to come back to BSU for his senior year. He is playing in Europe this year.

Thanks, I was wondering what happened to him.  I saw him play in high school and thought he was an amazing talent.  Not sure what happened with college but am kinda bummed for the kid that it didn't work out the way he probably had hoped. 

I'm pretty sure we will. I didn't feel like I saw a Bemidji team that was any different than the team that won 10 games last year. We just showed up with the team that got whooped by St. Lawrence last year and not the team that outplayed the goofs in the frozen four.

Being a Red Sox fan, I would figure you'd be familiar with teams not living up to fan expectations. How many Sox fans penciled their team in for last place in the AL East this year?

True, but I also think that college sports tend to be a little more predictable with who is going to be good and who isn't, on the extreme ends. Bemidji hasn't had a winning season since joining the WCHA. They won 0 out of conference games last year. Friday had a lot more to do with how poorly we performed and not with the Beavers having improved. I don't think the sky is falling just because we split with a team that I don't think is very good. At the end of the season I think we will look at this game much like we look at the St. Lawrence game last year. A bad loss to a middling team that motivates this team to playing the type of game they need to the rest of the season.