SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

So less than a week after pushing UND, the #2 team in the nation and I'm their barn, to overtime, Air Force loses at home to Huntsville, 4-2.

Am I be reading too much into this regarding how good UND really is?

Pretty early in the season to read into stuff like that. UND was smoked by Bemidji State in game #1, BC is currently sitting at 4-4 which includes an embarrassing loss to UConn, Union just got swept by RPI, and a very young BU team that was awful last season is on fire so far this season. Minnesota looks awfully good, but they give up a ton of shots on goal (at least until last night against Notre Dame) and Michigan Tech looks like it is for real as well. Lots of hockey left to be played - I wouldn't put much stock into just one game early in the season.

So less than a week after pushing UND, the #2 team in the nation and I'm their barn, to overtime, Air Force loses at home to Huntsville, 4-2.

I wouldn't read much into this probably a little easier for Air Force to get up for a game against #2 UND then Huntsville and it isn't like UND didn't dominate most of that game anyway just couldn't finish on chances.

It was their super bowl*.

* © 2012-13 NDSU fans

Pretty early in the season to read into stuff like that. UND was smoked by Bemidji State in game #1, BC is currently sitting at 4-4 which includes an embarrassing loss to UConn, Union just got swept by RPI, and a very young BU team that was awful last season is on fire so far this season. Minnesota looks awfully good, but they give up a ton of shots on goal (at least until last night against Notre Dame) and Michigan Tech looks like it is for real as well. Lots of hockey left to be played - I wouldn't put much stock into just one game early in the season.

I think it's very cool that Tech might be a legit contender.

I think it's very cool that Tech might be a legit contender.

Michigan Tech really had an amazing program back in its heyday. I'm not sure a lot of people even know that Tony Esposito was their goalie in 1965 (NCAA champs), 1966, and 1967 and that Coach John MacInnes spent an unbelievable 26 years at the helm of the Huskies and compiled an all-time record of 555 wins, 295 losses, and 39 ties. MacInnes coached thru the 1981-1982 season and passed away before Tech even completed a full season without him (he died in March of 1983). To put his coaching career in perspective, the EIGHT coaches who have been in Houghton since 1982 have compiled a grand total of 391 wins. It really was a shame to see that program go downhill so quickly after he was gone and now it is viewed by most fans as nothing more than an always-has-been doormat. I would be thrilled to see them finish well in the WCHA, the playoffs, and maybe even make an NCAA tournament appearance. Mel Pearson has done a great job in instilling a winning attitude again at Tech and has brought in coaches who know what it takes to do just that - Bill Muckalt and Steve Shields.

I made a trip to Houghton for the UND series there back in November of 2004 and have honestly not had a better road experience. Because it was a holiday weekend, the folks in the ticket office were kind enough to get me seats three rows behind the Sioux bench. We talked to tons of Tech fans during the game and between periods and they had nothing but good things to say about Fighting Sioux hockey - always a well-attended series up there in the UP. Fans there know a lot about the game of college hockey and were more than curious about where the out-of-town visitors were from. I even ran into some Tech players at a gas station when filling up on Sunday morning (I was still wearing my Sioux jersey) and they joked that they'd had enough trouble with green jerseys that weekend already and didn't want any more. I wished them good luck with their season and was kind of bummed that the weekend was over. Sad to say, I haven't made it back there since. If you ever see a UND at Michigan Tech non-conference series pop up on the schedule, I suggest you make the trip to Houghton - you won't regret it.

Michigan Tech really had an amazing program back in its heyday.  I'm not sure a lot of people even know that Tony Esposito was their goalie in 1965 (NCAA champs), 1966, and 1967 and that Coach John MacInnes spent an unbelievable 26 years at the helm of the Huskies and compiled an all-time record of 555 wins, 295 losses, and 39 ties.  For those who don't know, MacInnes coached thru the 1981-1982 season and passed away before Tech completed a full season without him at the helm (he died in March of 1983).  To put his coaching career in perspective, the EIGHT coaches who have been in Houghton since 1982 have compiled a grand total of 391 wins.  It really was a shame to see that program go downhill so quickly after he was gone and now it is viewed by most fans as nothing more than an always-has-been doormat.  I would be thrilled to see them finish well in the WCHA, the playoffs, and maybe even make an NCAA tournament appearance.  Mel Pearson has done a great job in instilling a winning attitude again at Tech and has brought in coaches who know what it takes to do just that - Bill Muckalt and Steve Shields.   

I made a trip to Houghton for the UND series there back in November of 2004 and have honestly not had a better road experience.  Because it was a holiday weekend, the folks in the ticket office were kind enough to get me seats three rows behind the Sioux bench.  We talked to tons of Tech fans during the game and between periods and they had nothing but good things to say about Fighting Sioux hockey - always a well-attended series up there in the UP.  Fans there know a lot about the game of college hockey and were more than curious about where the out-of-town visitors were from.  I even ran into some Tech players at a gas station when filling up on Sunday morning (I was still wearing my Sioux jersey) and they joked that they'd had enough trouble with green jerseys that weekend already and didn't want any more.  I wished them good luck with their season and was kind of bummed that the weekend was over.  Sad to say, I haven't made it back there since.  If you ever see a UND at Michigan Tech non-conference series pop up on the schedule, I suggest you make the trip to Houghton - you won't regret it.

That is, assuming it is in October/November.  They get an incredible amount of snow in the winter.  We drove up into the peninsula on Saturday during our trip to Houghton.  There is a measuring stick along the highway that shows the minimum amount, average amount, and maximum amount of snowfall they receive over the winter.  The minimum was like 160" and the maximum was somewhere around 250".  Be there at the wrong time and you might be there for a while.  They even had a sign behind the motel desk that showed how much snow they had received so far that winter.  We did have a great trip there as well (it was in October).

That is, assuming it is in October/November. They get an incredible amount of snow in the winter. We drove up into the peninsula on Saturday during our trip to Houghton. There is a measuring stick along the highway that shows the minimum amount, average amount, and maximum amount of snowfall they receive over the winter. The minimum was like 160" and the maximum was somewhere around 250". Be there at the wrong time and you might be there for a while. They even had a sign behind the motel desk that showed how much snow they had received so far that winter. We did have a great trip there as well (it was in October).

That's all part of the experience, Siouxman! Any trip to Houghton, Marquette, or Sault Ste Marie is a white-knuckler all the way!

Michigan Tech really had an amazing program back in its heyday. I'm not sure a lot of people even know that Tony Esposito was their goalie in 1965 (NCAA champs), 1966, and 1967 and that Coach John MacInnes spent an unbelievable 26 years at the helm of the Huskies and compiled an all-time record of 555 wins, 295 losses, and 39 ties. MacInnes coached thru the 1981-1982 season and passed away before Tech even completed a full season without him (he died in March of 1983). To put his coaching career in perspective, the EIGHT coaches who have been in Houghton since 1982 have compiled a grand total of 391 wins. It really was a shame to see that program go downhill so quickly after he was gone and now it is viewed by most fans as nothing more than an always-has-been doormat. I would be thrilled to see them finish well in the WCHA, the playoffs, and maybe even make an NCAA tournament appearance. Mel Pearson has done a great job in instilling a winning attitude again at Tech and has brought in coaches who know what it takes to do just that - Bill Muckalt and Steve Shields.

I made a trip to Houghton for the UND series there back in November of 2004 and have honestly not had a better road experience. Because it was a holiday weekend, the folks in the ticket office were kind enough to get me seats three rows behind the Sioux bench. We talked to tons of Tech fans during the game and between periods and they had nothing but good things to say about Fighting Sioux hockey - always a well-attended series up there in the UP. Fans there know a lot about the game of college hockey and were more than curious about where the out-of-town visitors were from. I even ran into some Tech players at a gas station when filling up on Sunday morning (I was still wearing my Sioux jersey) and they joked that they'd had enough trouble with green jerseys that weekend already and didn't want any more. I wished them good luck with their season and was kind of bummed that the weekend was over. Sad to say, I haven't made it back there since. If you ever see a UND at Michigan Tech non-conference series pop up on the schedule, I suggest you make the trip to Houghton - you won't regret it.

Well said, Mafia Man. Thanks for the history lesson on Tech hockey-myself included, barely knew of their rich hockey tradition as many of us were either not even born yet or were too young to remember. Great story too about your '04 trip up to Houghton. It's been one of my regrets not getting up there for a series.

http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/MTU%20hockey%20history.pdf

My final interesting tidbit of Michigan Tech hockey history:  January 20, 1960.  The Huskies defeated the US Olympic team 5-2 in Houghton.  Yea, the 1960 Olympic team that would go on to win the gold medal in Squaw Valley, CA. 

I guess I can't help the :love:  for UP hockey since I've seen games at all three of the UP schools - Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State University.  Some great traditions up der on da UP.   

http://www.cchockeyhistory.org/MTU%20hockey%20history.pdf

My final interesting tidbit of Michigan Tech hockey history: January 20, 1960. The Huskies defeated the US Olympic team 5-2 in Houghton. Yea, the 1960 Olympic team that would go on to win the gold medal in Squaw Valley, CA.

I guess I can't help the :love: for UP hockey since I've seen games at all three of the UP schools - Michigan Tech, Northern Michigan, and Lake Superior State University. Some great traditions up der on da UP.

Did you eat plenty of Pasties? ?