SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Preseason Polls

Matt

Don't forget Coach K will be as good or better than Bohl.

As a Wyoming fan too, I am pretty excited to have Bohl in Laramie.  (And thankful he left Fargo...)

The home opener with Montana has been selling a lot of tickets.  It may come close or even sell out.  It will be interesting to see if, after a couple of years, his system works at the FBS level.  It's going to be a rough start.  The talent level is pretty shaky in Laramie right now.    

As a Wyoming fan too, I am pretty excited to have Bohl in Laramie.  (And thankful he left Fargo...)

The home opener with Montana has been selling a lot of tickets.  It may come close or even sell out.  It will be interesting to see if, after a couple of years, his system works at the FBS level.  It's going to be a rough start.  The talent level is pretty shaky in Laramie right now.    

And if Bohl has success in Wyoming plus Coach Kleiman's failure at NDSU will have people demanding Bohl's return, and the hatred for the Cowboys.

So the defense will be better this year?

And Wentz will be better than Jenson?

You're delusional...

Wentz stats:  2012 (RFr): 8 games (no starts) 12-16 144 yds 2 TD's  went 8-8 93 yds and 1 TD vs Prairie View A&M, and went 4-8 51 yds and 1 TD in 7 other games total

2013: (So) 11 games (no starts) 22-30 209 yds 1 TD; 10 carries 70 yds.  Was 10-13 105 yds 1 TD vs Delaware St, and went 12-17 104 yds and 0 TD in 10 other games total.   Closest game he played in last year was 31-10 NDSU over SIU he rushed 1 time for 0 yards and didn't pass.  Yep that screams Brock Jenson and then some. Bison fans are funny. :lol:

And if Bohl has success in Wyoming plus Coach Kleiman's failure at NDSU will have people demanding Bohl's return, and the hatred for the Cowboys.

That would be a distaster for a certain third class felon who spends time sucking up to the Pokes fans.  Oh well...  :lol:

And Wentz will be better than Jenson?

You're delusional...

Wentz is by far the superior overall athlete and he has the better tools and raw talent.  Kid is a freak.  What remains to be seen is if he has the intangibles that Jensen had and if he can flat-out win games like he did. 

I think Wentz will be a better overall QB than Jensen, but more than likely will not match his winning prowess.

Wentz is by far the superior overall athlete and he has the better tools and raw talent. Kid is a freak. What remains to be seen is if he has the intangibles that Jensen had and if he can flat-out win games like he did.

I think Wentz will be a better overall QB than Jensen, but more than likely will not match his winning prowess.

Perhaps he's more talented, but I doubt he wins games like Jenson did. Part of that is the team around Wentz won't be as good IMO, but I also don't think the clutch performances will be as impressive for Wentz. Like last years game when NDSU played K-State, I don't see Wentz able to do something like that.

Perhaps he's more talented, but I doubt he wins games like Jenson did. Part of that is the team around Wentz won't be as good IMO, but I also don't think the clutch performances will be as impressive for Wentz. Like last years game when NDSU played K-State, I don't see Wentz able to do something like that.

I think a lot of people would have said that about Jensen at one point in his career.

Just don't think he has the clutch factor.

NDSU doesn't have their leader in Bohl

NDSU doesn't have their offensive coordinator in Vigen

Less supporting cast in no Turner, Smith, Ojuri, etc.

Only way to know for sure is to see him in game action as a starter.

I am hearing some UND fans say, "Wentz is untested how can you say he'll be good?", while others are saying "he doesn't have what Brock Jensen has". You can't have it both ways fellas. He can't be both unproven and have us drawing conclusions about what "clutch" skills he may have. The fact is he has never had the opportunity to show any intangibles. This is why he is a question mark coming into this season. NDSU fans are hopeful he'll live up to the billing, while NDSU opponents are hoping he doesn't, no surprise on either side.

Reality is, if Carson is 3/4 the QB Brock Jensen was, NDSU will be a difficult game for any team on their schedule this year. As others have said, NDSU didn't lose as much as their detractors would have you believe.

I am hearing some UND fans say, "Wentz is untested how can you say he'll be good?", while others are saying "he doesn't have what Brock Jensen has". You can't have it both ways fellas. He can't be both unproven and have us drawing conclusions about what "clutch" skills he may have. The fact is he has never had the opportunity to show any intangibles. This is why he is a question mark coming into this season. NDSU fans are hopeful he'll live up to the billing, while NDSU opponents are hoping he doesn't, no surprise on either side.

Reality is, if Carson is 3/4 the QB Brock Jensen was, NDSU will be a difficult game for any team on their schedule this year. As others have said, NDSU didn't lose as much as their detractors would have you believe.

What Wentz doesn't have is exactly what Jenson did have: experience.

For the past few years, experience and the intangibles weren't an issues at the QB position for NDSU.

This year, the QB position will not have experience going into the season. That could cost NDSU a game or two early in the season.

For the past few years, experience and the intangibles weren't an issues at the QB position for NDSU.

This year, the QB position will not have experience going into the season. That could cost NDSU a game or two early in the season.

Brock was experienced when he took the team to the playoffs his freshman year and sophomore year? People seem to forget that Brock was considered a liability by many his first 2.5 years as the starter. He was viewed by many as the biggest beneficiary of possibly the best FCS defense in history. Now, he turned out to be one hell of a QB, but IMO and in the opinion of many others in the know, NDSU won many games despite his performance in those early years, not because of it.

Brock is an excellent QB, his accolades are undeniable. He is one of the all-time greats at NDSU and from the things I have heard from people that know him well he is also a good man off the field. But, he certainly wasn't flawless, especially those first 2.5 years. In a few games he gave up more points than NDSU's defense on pick 6's. Let's not act like his skills, strictly as a QB, aren't replaceable. His leadership skills on the other hand may be.

Brock was experienced when he took the team to the playoffs his freshman year and sophomore year? People seem to forget that Brock was considered a liability by many his first 2.5 years as the starter. He was viewed by many as the biggest beneficiary of possibly the best FCS defense in history. Now, he turned out to be one hell of a QB, but IMO and in the opinion of many others in the know, NDSU won many games despite his performance in those early years, not because of it.

Brock is an excellent QB, his accolades are undeniable. He is one of the all-time greats at NDSU and from the things I have heard from people that know him well he is also a good man off the field. But, he certainly wasn't flawless, especially those first 2.5 years. In a few games he gave up more points than NDSU's defense on pick 6's. Let's not act like his skills, strictly as a QB, aren't replaceable. His leadership skills on the other hand may be.

But Brock had a huge supporting cast on the OL, RB and coaches now they are gone for untested Wentz, what if Kleiman ends up like Muss, or Wentz turns out like Mertens. A lot of what ifs going into Ames.

But Brock had a huge supporting cast on the OL, RB and coaches now they are gone for untested Wentz, what if Kleiman ends up like Muss, or Wentz turns out like Mertens. A lot of what ifs going into Ames.

NDSU has a stable of horses in the backfield. My only concern in offensive and defensive lines.

Who cares if Bohl is gone.... NDSU has had plenty of coaches be successful following other good ones.

NDSU has a stable of horses in the backfield. My only concern in offensive and defensive lines.

Who cares if Bohl is gone.... NDSU has had plenty of coaches be successful following other good ones.

Yeah, and NDSU has had unsuccessful coaches following successful coaches...

It's just the way it goes. Klieman has a losing record as a head coach, and he will be coaching a different group of players than what was on the field last year.

There are a lot of unknowns that can't be answered until games are actually being played.

And they have had bad ones too. (Babich)

You can only gain experience in one way. Nobody is born with it.

I don't get why so many UND posters are going out of there way to predict the demise of NDSU. Are they gonna be as good as they were the last few years? Of course not. Are they going to suddenly become a team without a winning record this year? More than likely not. They will be down a bit but I still like their chances at making the playoffs and they're still a heckuva lot better than us heading into the season. That should about sum up this stupid "pissing match."

Now to switch gears, anyone believe UND has a chance to be ranked or gain votes this year?

I don't get why so many UND posters are going out of there way to predict the demise of NDSU. Are they gonna be as good as they were the last few years? Of course not. Are they going to suddenly become a team without a winning record this year? More than likely not. They will be down a bit but I still like their chances at making the playoffs and there still a heckuva lot better than us heading into the season. That should about sum up this stupid "pissing match."

Now to switch gears, anyone believe UND has a chance to be ranked or gain votes this year?

Let the outcome between the white lines decide the whole thing, but for right now, anything is possible so let the debate go on. And yes, NDSU will likely fall in-between last years dominant team and a losing team, meaning 9-3 or 8-4. As for UND, their ceiling is probably 6-6. Either way, both programs are trending in favorable directions for UND supporters.

UND may get votes with early surprise wins, but it's doubtful they end the season with a winning record so they won't be ranked to end the season. I honestly think 5-7 or 6-6 is realistic, and that is d*mn good considering where this team was last year and the players lost.

Bubba already deserves credit given his 2014 recruiting class and early success for his 2015 class. Recruiting may be the strength of Bubba; look what he arranged at Duluth.

Let the outcome between the white lines decide the whole thing, but for right now, anything is possible so let the debate go on. And yes, NDSU will likely fall in-between last years dominant team and a losing team, meaning 9-3 or 8-4. As for UND, their ceiling is probably 6-6. Either way, both programs are trending in favorable directions for UND supporters.

So your team has a 3 win season and has its coach fired... While the other team just won its 3rd straight title... Lost its coach because the program was successful.... And things are trending up for the 3 win team?

So your team has a 3 win season and has its coach fired... While the other team just won its 3rd straight title... Lost its coach because the program was successful.... And things are trending up for the 3 win team?

If what I predicted happens, then yes. That is, UND improves on it's 3 win 2013 season.

You're not very sharp today are you? What do you think is easier to improve on? A three win season or an undefeated fifteen win national title season? Kmon man.
  • Upvote 1