SiouxSports.com Forum

Probable Two Deep Roster

geaux_sioux

This is just an educated guess, but we are still short at: OL, DL, LB, and WR. I believe we still have to available spots but haven't heard any recent news.

Thanks, looks like it's the hogs up front on both sides we need to bulk up on.

His film had several big plays, so I wouldn't be too worried about his speed. I'm sure he's a sub 4.60.

He didn't pull away from anyone. He lacks top end speed. Has nice agility and seems to be able to break down defenders hips which is often more important than top end speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my opinion....these boys have committed to play football for UND for four to fives years. Until they are 21, booze is not legal to consume. Smoking pot should cost you your scholarship. You have your entire life to get drunk, get high, or get drunk and high. I understand the boys aren't saints and they are going to drink.....its part of being in college. There should be a price to pay if you assume that drinking to the point of stupidity is okay. I respect Bubba for trying to create a team that actually faces consequences for making the football team and the university look bad. Isn't it called accountability?

Um, you forgot the part about the part that pot is banned by the NCAA--alcohol not so much.

I really want to know who's going to be the QB. I had such high hopes for Mollberg coming in but last season he did not look good.

I really thought Bartles was able to do more with the line he had to work with last year. I'm pulling for him to be our man.

Bartles did well, but there were flashes for Mollberg too. Either way, the line will need to be improved and the running game will need to get on track. Couple that with a better defense and a play-action passing game and the QB play should be better.

Bartles did well, but there were flashes for Mollberg too. Either way, the line will need to be improved and the running game will need to get on track. Couple that with a better defense and a play-action passing game and the QB play should be better.

I couldn't care less which one starts. As I said before, there are so many other things that need to be straitened out before those guys would have a chance to blossom. Run d and o will go a long way in development of a young qb. Without protection anyone will end up like Derrick Carr.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't care less which one starts. As I said before, there are so many other things that need to be straitened out before those guys would have a chance to blossom. Run d and o will go a long way in development of a young qb. Without protection anyone will end up like Derrick Carr.

My post which you quoted says exactly that. I mentioned the defense and running game need to improve, though. That basically means 100% of the problem last year was not the offensive line. Need help from the defense and offensive play calling, too.

With the roster now online, I thought I'd take a stab at the 2-deep. With this pass, I'm assuming all freshmen will redshirt (although I'd assume that won't happen).

Offense:

LT: Devin Barton - AJ Stockwell

LG: Brandon Anderson - Brandon Miller

C: Colton Boas - Jace Hellman

RG: Sean Meehan - Dan Bell

RT: Brendan Slaight - AJ Stockwell

TE: Zach Adler - Tucker Norby

RB: Cedric Simmons - Patrick Sharp

FB: Dustin Iverson - Dwayne Pecosky

WR: RJ McGill - Aeron Carr - Ramon Bridges

WR: Casey Young - Miguel Cerriteno - Tyrhe Ivery

QB: Joe Mollberg/Ryan Bartles (toss up)

K: Reid Taubenheim - Mitch Meindel (to keep RS on Fluegge)

Defense:

DE: Spencer Cummings - Alec Carrothers

NG: Shea Walker - Marcus Cheatom

DE: Jordan Hinojosa - Kyle Woodsmall

OLB: Dayo Idowu - Alex Hickel

ILB: Ben Peters - Kyle Norberg

ILB: Will Ratelle - Dylan Bakker

OLB: Javen Butler - Brian Labatt

CB: Alex Tillman - Charles Flowers

S: Baylee Carr - Chris Hannible

S: Cole Reyes - Devin Coyle

CB: Dominique Blackmon - Chris Brown

P: Mitch Meindel - Connor Bolduc (although might be Peters or Taubenheim if they want to keep redshirt on Bolduc)

I'm thinking, based on not a whole lot, this could maybe happen.

Offense:

LT: Devin Barton - AJ Stockwell

LG: Brandon Anderson - Sean Meehan

C: Colton Boas - Jace Hellman

RG: Brandon Miller - Dan Bell

RT: Brendan Slaight - AJ Stockwell

TE: Zach Adler - Tucker Norby

RB: Cedric Simmons - Patrick Sharp

FB: Dustin Iverson - Dwayne Pecosky

WR: RJ McGill - Aeron Carr - Ramon Bridges

WR: Tyrhe Ivery -Miguel Cerriteno - Casey Young

QB: Joe Mollberg/Ryan Bartles (toss up)

K: Reid Taubenheim

Defense:

DE: Spencer Cummings - Alec Carrothers

NG: Shea Walker - Marcus Cheatom

DE: Jordan Hinojosa - Kyle Woodsmall

OLB: Dayo Idowu - Adam Shaugabay

ILB: Dylan Bakker - Kyle Norberg

ILB: Will Ratelle - Ben Peters

OLB: Javen Butler - Brian Labatt

CB: Alex Tillman - Charles Flowers

S: Baylee Carr - Chris Hannible

S: Cole Reyes - Devin Coyle

CB: Dominique Blackmon - Chris Brown

P: Connor Bolduc - Mitch Meindel (I wasn't impressed with Meindels kicks, very loose and inconsistent.)

I snuck out and watched the boys throw yesterday at the stadium. I have two observations based on watching a modified 7 on 7. We have upgraded dramatically in the defensive backfield. I don't know all of the kids, but Tillman (from Houston) is the real deal. Granted we don't have anyone running 4.25 but I doubt too many FCS schools have that talent. He closes on the ball extremely well and will make a difference. On the receiver side, Casey Young looked REALLY good. He caught everything including numerous deep balls. He looked quick and created nice separation. I know that Tim Belmore was very high on this kid when he recruited him. My research shows he was the Colorado 5A State champion in the 110 hurdles both his junior and senior years. Personally, I think he was a victim of circumstances last year. Honestly, most of the kids catching balls all looked pretty good. Both QB's threw the ball well with nice accuracy. Can't say one looked better than the other. Two weeks to fall camp!!!!

I snuck out and watched the boys throw yesterday at the stadium. I have two observations based on watching a modified 7 on 7. We have upgraded dramatically in the defensive backfield. I don't know all of the kids, but Tillman (from Houston) is the real deal. Granted we don't have anyone running 4.25 but I doubt too many FCS schools have that talent. He closes on the ball extremely well and will make a difference. On the receiver side, Casey Young looked REALLY good. He caught everything including numerous deep balls. He looked quick and created nice separation. I know that Tim Belmore was very high on this kid when he recruited him. My research shows he was the Colorado 5A State champion in the 110 hurdles both his junior and senior years. Personally, I think he was a victim of circumstances last year. Honestly, most of the kids catching balls all looked pretty good. Both QB's threw the ball well with nice accuracy. Can't say one looked better than the other. Two weeks to fall camp!!!!

The update is much appreciated!

Roughly how many guys were out there?

I would guess around 14-15. Hey UND Colorado, do you know any details on Young?

I know he was a hell of a high school athlete at Regis Jesuit in the suburbs. From what I understand they have a great sports program and it is a solid school. I have heard he is a hard worker and has a good head on his shoulders. I really liked what I saw from him in the spring and I agree that he has been a victim of circumstances as you pointed out above. I really hope he gets some quality reps on offense this season because I believe he has the talent and worth ethic to succeed.

People can throw JUCOs and FBS transfers under the bus all they want, but when it comes down to it, the transfers we got are gonna be the difference in us being an improved team this year or not. And of course development of the QBs and improved coaching/discipline. All in all, this program is much better off with Bubba and his staff than Mussman; or at least it appears that way thus far.

Hope we surprise and jump over the 10th spot on the coaches preseason poll. At 6-6, that would put us in the middle of the pack. Then, improvement would only be the norm given the youth of this team.

At least on paper our defense is upgraded considerably. I believe the sacks and interceptions will increase for our defense.

By eliminating most of the penalties in the undisciplined nature, this will keep us close to most of the teams.

Bubba is a has the poise to develop this team faster than a lot of coaches.

I'm really looking forward to watching this team play.

People can throw JUCOs and FBS transfers under the bus all they want, but when it comes down to it, the transfers we got are gonna be the difference in us being an improved team this year or not. And of course development of the QBs and improved coaching/discipline. All in all, this program is much better off with Bubba and his staff than Mussman; or at least it appears that way thus far.

Hope we surprise and jump over the 10th spot on the coaches preseason poll. At 6-6, that would put us in the middle of the pack. Then, improvement would only be the norm given the youth of this team.

Who is throwing transfers under the bus? Maybe i missed it.

Who is throwing transfers under the bus? Maybe i missed it.

I've always been an advocate for FBS transfers and JUCOs if they increase competition and make the team better; however, there are some on this board who are enamored with the NDSU blueprint and they dislike bringing in transfers.

I for one agree that recruiting is the most important way to build a team, and I think Bubba's first freshmen recruiting class is a dandy, but the JUCOs and FBS transfers are also full of potential.

In the end, Bubba's philosophy and discipline should be applicable to all players. The rest is up to the talent and mindset of the players.

I can't wait to see our running offense to get going again. It seems to be MIA since early in the transition years. Whether its an upgrade on the OL or an upgrade in running backs (or both), once that gets going our offense should be a lot better. Less pressure on the QB's, more rest time for the defense. T.O.P. needs to be in our favor. Thanks Sioux Nation for that early observation, keep the comments coming!!