SiouxSports.com Forum

Al Carlson is running again

Risky

After his asinine comments about not being in favor of the Fargo Diversion Project, I wonder if he'll win this time? He represents a south Fargo District and that is an area that will benefit greatly from the Diversion Project. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Not to mention he wanted the oil companies to give money to states like Oklahoma because he felt ND had enough money. He is a total !@#!$!, and I am glad he does NOT represent my district in Fargo.

After his asinine comments about not being in favor of the Fargo Diversion Project, I wonder if he'll win this time? He represents a south Fargo District and that is an area that will benefit greatly from the Diversion Project. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Obviously you have no idea of what is going on here! I am not a huge Carlson fan, however your post couldn't be more inaccurate! I am deeply involved in this project and know what happened when Al and the rest of the legislature got involved. His point was that he wanted to ensure that federal funding was going to be available for the federal share of the project. I supported Al on his stand as it served as a check and balance. His actions showed the Diversion Authority (project sponsor) that they need to do everything in their power to ensure federal funding for the project.

Also Al, along with many of his fellow representatives, were contacted by many constituents about the nickname issue to try and save the nickname. We all know how it ended but was it really that different than the pushback we saw from the people of Spirit Lake? I sent them emails to save the nickname and I applauded their efforts. The rest of the Monday morning QBs said it wasted time and money, but our representatives received more feedback on this issue than any other in their time in office.

• Upvote 1

He singlehandedly created a real unnecessary mess for UND on the nickname issue. I don't think anyone fell for the baloney that he really wanted to save the nickname. He knew exactly what he was doing. And it wasn't because he felt endeared to the nickname. He got a lot of enjoyment prolonging the issue and watching the mess it created. I would hope he isn't reelected.

He singlehandedly created a real unnecessary mess for UND on the nickname issue. I don't think anyone fell for the baloney that he really wanted to save the nickname. He knew exactly what he was doing. And it wasn't because he felt endeared to the nickname. He got a lot of enjoyment prolonging the issue and watching the mess it created. I would hope he isn't reelected.

He used UND to challenge to SBoHE. The legislature would love to see the SBoHE disbanded and control of higher education given back to them.

Obviously you have no idea of what is going on here! I am not a huge Carlson fan, however your post couldn't be more inaccurate! I am deeply involved in this project and know what happened when Al and the rest of the legislature got involved. His point was that he wanted to ensure that federal funding was going to be available for the federal share of the project. I supported Al on his stand as it served as a check and balance. His actions showed the Diversion Authority (project sponsor) that they need to do everything in their power to ensure federal funding for the project.

Also Al, along with many of his fellow representatives, were contacted by many constituents about the nickname issue to try and save the nickname. We all know how it ended but was it really that different than the pushback we saw from the people of Spirit Lake? I sent them emails to save the nickname and I applauded their efforts. The rest of the Monday morning QBs said it wasted time and money, but our representatives received more feedback on this issue than any other in their time in office.

"Clueless Al" Carlson went on KFGO's "News and Views" program with Joel Heitkamp and said live on the air he was not a big fan of building a diversion project and favored upstream retention instead. I heard it myself, so don't tell me it didn't happen. He might have changed his opinion since that time, but that is what he said.

And as for the Sioux nickname, Carlson accomplished nothing more than delaying the inevitable and probably caused some short-term damage to our athletic programs by sowing the seeds of uncertainty with potential recruits. He would have been better off not playing "Prime Minister of North Dakota" and left the process up to the State Board of Higher Education and the lawyers that were involved with the issue.

Is it just Crazy Al who wants control back or is there others who want it back to?

There is a large rift between the SBoHE and a fairly decent sized faction of legislatures. There will be a measure on the ballot this fall to eliminate the SBoHE and replace it with an appoitned 3 person panel (Commissioners of Higher Education). The measure was put on the ballot through legislative approval. The commissioners are appointed by a majority vote of ND Speaker of the House (currently David Drovdal), Pro Tem of the Senate (Rich Wardner), Cheif Justice of the Supreme Court (Gerald VandeWalle), Superintendent of Public Instruction (Kirsten Baesler) and a representative of an educational interest group selected by 3 of the 4 previously listed.

I don't know quite enough about the changes to understand how good or bad it may end up being, but I know the legislature doesn't care for the SBoHE and it leads me to be very cautious on what they are proposing.

"Clueless Al" Carlson went on KFGO's "News and Views" program with Joel Heitkamp and said live on the air he was not a big fan of building a diversion project and favored upstream retention instead. I heard it myself, so don't tell me it didn't happen. He might have changed his opinion since that time, but that is what he said.

And as for the Sioux nickname, Carlson accomplished nothing more than delaying the inevitable and probably caused some short-term damage to our athletic programs by sowing the seeds of uncertainty with potential recruits. He would have been better off not playing "Prime Minister of North Dakota" and left the process up to the State Board of Higher Education and the lawyers that were involved with the issue.

Oh Yeah............ I heard something on a radio program and I am the expert. He was interested in upstream retention as an alternative to the massive staging area that will be a large (and obviously the most controversial) component of the entire project.

There is a large rift between the SBoHE and a fairly decent sized faction of legislatures. There will be a measure on the ballot this fall to eliminate the SBoHE and replace it with an appoitned 3 person panel (Commissioners of Higher Education). The measure was put on the ballot through legislative approval. The commissioners are appointed by a majority vote of ND Speaker of the House (currently David Drovdal), Pro Tem of the Senate (Rich Wardner), Cheif Justice of the Supreme Court (Gerald VandeWalle), Superintendent of Public Instruction (Kirsten Baesler) and a representative of an educational interest group selected by 3 of the 4 previously listed.

I don't know quite enough about the changes to understand how good or bad it may end up being, but I know the legislature doesn't care for the SBoHE and it leads me to be very cautious on what they are proposing.

What is the pros and cons of eliminating the current SBoHE and going with an appointed board (like Carlson wants).

Oh Yeah............ I heard something on a radio program and I am the expert. He was interested in upstream retention as an alternative to the massive staging area that will be a large (and obviously the most controversial) component of the entire project.

The point is he said it and you were acting like he never said anything like that. Checkmate.....mate. ;)

You are both correct. He is not a fan of the diversion project as it is very costly and very damaging to areas south of Fargo, and he wanted to ensure that if it is built, funding is secured. Funding is the biggest hurdle for this project (always has been), the benefit/cost ratio for the project is quite low, and getting congress to approve $1 billion for a city that has never lost flood fight, is located in the most cash abundant state in the nation, and is currently being sued in federal court on four counts is a very tall order. The project cost will be well in excess of $2 billion dollars when all said and done, and Carlson has a legitimate concern over funding because the Diversion Authority cannot wait to get started on this project, and have publicly stated that they will start the project without full funding. The Diversion Authority has never stated where any excess funding will come from if funding for the project falls short, or if the project goes over budget (like nearly all Corps of Engineers projects do), Fargo doesnt have enough money for it unless they tack on some major property special assessments, Federal Government is broke, Minnesota is broke, that leaves the state of ND as the only viable option for excess funds, and Carlson knew that.

In my opinion, the project makes little sense, Fargo is building a diversion around undeveloped land to the south that is in a floodplain and retaining water on high land that has never flooded before. Not to mention, that land that will be used to retain water on is some of the best farmland in the world.

You are both correct. He is not a fan of the diversion project as it is very costly and very damaging to areas south of Fargo, and he wanted to ensure that if it is built, funding is secured. Funding is the biggest hurdle for this project (always has been), the benefit/cost ratio for the project is quite low, and getting congress to approve $1 billion for a city that has never lost flood fight, is located in the most cash abundant state in the nation, and is currently being sued in federal court on four counts is a very tall order. The project cost will be well in excess of $2 billion dollars when all said and done, and Carlson has a legitimate concern over funding because the Diversion Authority cannot wait to get started on this project, and have publicly stated that they will start the project without full funding. The Diversion Authority has never stated where any excess funding will come from if funding for the project falls short, or if the project goes over budget (like nearly all Corps of Engineers projects do), Fargo doesnt have enough money for it unless they tack on some major property special assessments, Federal Government is broke, Minnesota is broke, that leaves the state of ND as the only viable option for excess funds, and Carlson knew that.

In my opinion, the project makes little sense, Fargo is building a diversion around undeveloped land to the south that is in a floodplain and retaining water on high land that has never flooded before. Not to mention, that land that will be used to retain water on is some of the best farmland in the world.

not sure where you are coming from with the feds and mn are broke bit. MN is in a much better financial situation than they were (i think they even have a surplus now) and the feds have never been in bad shape, despite the best efforts of grand bargainers and misc. anti gov types to convince people otherwise.

The man shouldn't have been re-elected after "Fighting Sioux: It's the law"

You mean the law that everyone supported and thought was genious, until the NCAA showed you that this law put you between a rock and hard place. And then everyone said, oh we knew that was a bad idea all along, and Al Carlson is a idiot. That law?

This situation reminds me of the coach who yells no no no, to the kid he doesn't want shooting the ball. Then when it goes in he says, Good shot.

You mean the law that everyone supported and thought was genious, until the NCAA showed you that this law put you between a rock and hard place. And then everyone said, oh we knew that was a bad idea all along, and Al Carlson is a idiot. That law?

This situation reminds me of the coach who yells no no no, to the kid he doesn't want shooting the ball. Then when it goes in he says, Good shot.

The only thing that law did was delay UND a nickname, which will appear next year. Anyone who votes for Carlson should be slapped.

That's painting with a pretty broad brush. You're right that some of the people that the law was genius but just as large of a group if not more (possibly less vocal) thought it was plain stupid.

• Upvote 2

not sure where you are coming from with the feds and mn are broke bit. MN is in a much better financial situation than they were (i think they even have a surplus now) and the feds have never been in bad shape, despite the best efforts of grand bargainers and misc. anti gov types to convince people otherwise.

I stand corrected on the Minnesota part, although it is irrelevant to the diversion issue because I know that Dayton, and a few other area MN state lawmakers have said that they will not provide funding. MN never said they would fund their share, that is just something that the Diversion Authority expects them to do. However, I do not see how any person can say that the federal government isn't in a tough financial position? Our national debt is over 70% of our GDP, and while some people are jumping up and down celebrating the shrinking budget deficit, it was still over half a trillion dollars last year.