SiouxSports.com Forum

Al Carlson is running again

Risky

not sure where you are coming from with the feds and mn are broke bit. MN is in a much better financial situation than they were (i think they even have a surplus now) and the feds have never been in bad shape, despite the best efforts of grand bargainers and misc. anti gov types to convince people otherwise.

I guess if you consider raising taxes thru the roof to "improve" the financial situation a positive thing, you're correct.

• Upvote 4

I stand corrected on the Minnesota part, although it is irrelevant to the diversion issue because I know that Dayton, and a few other area MN state lawmakers have said that they will not provide funding. MN never said they would fund their share, that is just something that the Diversion Authority expects them to do. However, I do not see how any person can say that the federal government isn't in a tough financial position? Our national debt is over 70% of our GDP, and while some people are jumping up and down celebrating the shrinking budget deficit, it was still over half a trillion dollars last year.

70% is pretty low.

I guess if you consider raising taxes thru the roof to "improve" the financial situation a positive thing, you're correct.

you now how you know someone is actually serious about deficits and budget issues? They consider raising revenue. Sometimes they even do in fact raise taxes, which does in fact improve budget situations. Crazy.

Hence 67% of the state voting to get rid of it.....

After the NCAA responded, 67% voted to get rid of it. Before the the NCAA responded, the percentage was flipped on support for the law which would keep the name forever.

Short memories everyone.

you know how you know someone is actually serious about deficits and budget issues? They consider raising revenue. Sometimes they even do in fact raise taxes, which does in fact improve budget situations. Crazy.

Call me old-school in thinking that the idea of improving a financial situation isn't shaking down people for more money...it's cutting spending. But hey, Minnesota needs a new building to house its Senators, right? After all, it'll provide good union construction jobs and help the economy! No problem...here's $90 million!

After the NCAA responded, 67% voted to get rid of it. Before the the NCAA responded, the percentage was flipped on support for the law which would keep the name forever.

Short memories everyone.

Was there a vote on this to get your percentages? I know a lot if people who supported the nickname, not many of them supported the law.

... It's the highest rate we have seen since WWII... And the highest peace time rate ever. So I'm wondering facts you are basing your opinion off of when you say "70% is pretty low?"

comparison with peer countries.

Call me old-school in thinking that the idea of improving a financial situation isn't shaking down people for more money...it's cutting spending. But hey, Minnesota needs a new building to house its Senators, right? After all, it'll provide good union construction jobs and help the economy! No problem...here's $90 million!

no, thats actually a very new-school train of thought.