SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO @ NORTH DAKOTA - Saturday

gfhockey

Some of the best coaches in college history took a long time to win their first national title, or had long stretches between national titles. Jerry York and Red Berenson are 2 examples. You can't win the title if you aren't in the tournament, and Hak has a good record of getting into the tournament.

If I hear the blah blah blah Red Berenson excuse one more time I think I'm going to puke. From when Gino took over in 1979 until Blais left North Dakota won 5 National Champuionships - an average of about one every 5 years. Next closest was Lake Superior State with 3. We didn't want to be Michigan then. We were the best program in the country and knew it. Now, we are not. We used to measure success by Nattys. Now we are giving ourselves participation medals. Time to step it up a notch and get it done.

If I hear the blah blah blah Red Berenson excuse one more time I think I'm going to puke. From when Gino took over in 1979 until Blais left North Dakota won 5 National Champuionships - an average of about one every 5 years.

...and Gino was absolutely run out of Grand Forks after 1994...

Just curious...what happens if/when this team misses the NCAAs?

I hope the "been to the NCAAs every year but one" excuse doesn't come up. UND isn't St. Cloud.

Last Natty was when??? Really don't think it is too much for this fan base to expect a Natty every 10-12 years IMO.

Just saying............

If I hear the blah blah blah Red Berenson excuse one more time I think I'm going to puke. From when Gino took over in 1979 until Blais left North Dakota won 5 National Champuionships - an average of about one every 5 years. Next closest was Lake Superior State with 3. We didn't want to be Michigan then. We were the best program in the country and knew it. Now, we are not. We used to measure success by Nattys. Now we are giving ourselves participation medals. Time to step it up a notch and get it done.

Michigan won 6 in 9 years. Denver won 4 in 10 years, 5 in 12. Wisconsin won 4 in 11 years. BC won 3 in 5 years and 4 in 12. What's your point? UND had a great stretch during those years. Other schools have had even better stretches. I'm guessing that not everyone thought UND had the best program during the early 90's. And college hockey has changed. More teams have the ability to win, or at least compete, for a title. Sorry if you can't deal with reality.

...and Gino was absolutely run out of Grand Forks after 1994...

Exactly - for not winning

My point is that this is Fighting Sioux Hockey and the expectations are championships here - not some other "pretty good" program. Pointing to a good coach who has not had a lot of championship success does not, in my opinion, make it ok here. Might as well include Woog in your comparison.

I hope the "been to the NCAAs every year but one" excuse doesn't come up. UND isn't St. Cloud.

Last Natty was when??? Really don't think it is too much for this fan base to expect a Natty every 10-12 years IMO.

Just saying............

So fire hak if the fan base wants more? This team is ran by the fan base? Thank God that isn't true!

Exactly - for not winning

My point is that this is Fighting Sioux Hockey and the expectations are championships here - not some other "pretty good" program. Pointing to a good coach who has not had a lot of championship success does not, in my opinion, make it ok here. Might as well include Woog in your comparison.

Gino was fired for his losing records, not for winning 25-30 games but no NCAA titles. And that's why Woog was let go as well.

So fire hak if the fan base wants more? This team is ran by the fan base? Thank God that isn't true!

Where was "fire hak" mentioned in my post? You aren't even in the right thread to make that leap.

Just saying............

So if not to suggest firing Hak here, what are you suggesting to fix the situation? "If they don't make the NCAA tourney"

I usually agree with most that you post but these comments are getting old to read when the team is what.......10-2-1 in the last 13?

Just saying...

This coming from a shill for the "We want Sandelin" campaign. If Hak's seasons are "average," then about 75% of Sandelin's seasons have been like the weather this year - well below zero.

I would rather watch an exciting on the edge product vs dump and chase

also I would rather have two nattys 6 avg season and 2 missing the playoffs in last ten years vs haks record.