SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO @ NORTH DAKOTA - Saturday

gfhockey

Like I said... most. you didn't catch that... first word of my sentence... see it?

I saw it, and I don't agree. Hakstol is in his 10th year. He has been in the NCAA tournament every year. He was recruiting coordinator under Blais before that. Blais wasn't responsible for every one of those recruits, and his recruits have been done for a while. The most highly drafted players were recruited while Blais was here. Hakstol has had similar success with players recruited while he was an assistant and with players recruited while he was head coach.

I saw it, and I don't agree. Hakstol is in his 10th year. He has been in the NCAA tournament every year. He was recruiting coordinator under Blais before that. Blais wasn't responsible for every one of those recruits, and his recruits have been done for a while. The most highly drafted players were recruited while Blais was here. Hakstol has had similar success with players recruited while he was an assistant and with players recruited while he was head coach.

Think all involved would swap 7 NCAAs and a NC every 10 years vs NCAA every year w no NC.

Hak went to the frozen four those first 4 years I believe. Also if you don't think blais and his success as a coach had anything to do with those recruits you are nuts..... the guy is a primary reason we have the building we do... with a little help from Ralph.

Not saying Hak should be fired, but I hope to God he wakes up a little and becomes somewhat flexible on the dump and chase and cycle. I'm looking at you, power play.

UNO was running the same type of PP....however they had a man on the far wall :). Their forwards also didn't look so robotic when dumping it in... they actually are looking to see if they have a clear dumping lane whereas UND dumps it regardless.

Hak went to the frozen four those first 4 years I believe. Also if you don't think blais and his success as a coach had anything to do with those recruits you are nuts..... the guy is a primary reason we have the building we do... with a little help from Ralph.

I didn't say anything about Blais as a coach or whether his success was a factor in recruiting. I said that you and many others have given (and are giving) too much credit to Blais for recruiting. He wasn't the only reason those players came to UND. If he was he would still be getting those type recruits at UNO. I don't see him getting many recruits that are drafted in the top of the first round of the NHL draft. And I don't think there is a huge difference between seasons where a team loses in the regional finals versus a season where they lose in the semi-finals of the NCAA.

And I don't think there is a huge difference between seasons where a team loses in the regional finals versus a season where they lose in the semi-finals of the NCAA.

I do. Could you imagine this board had Hakstol led UND to wins over Minnesota and Yale in the regional final the past two seasons only to get smoked by BC and UMass-Lowell in the national semi-finals of the Frozen Four a week later?

SiouxSports.com would implode.

I didn't say anything about Blais as a coach or whether his success was a factor in recruiting. I said that you and many others have given (and are giving) too much credit to Blais for recruiting. He wasn't the only reason those players came to UND. If he was he would still be getting those type recruits at UNO. I don't see him getting many recruits that are drafted in the top of the first round of the NHL draft. And I don't think there is a huge difference between seasons where a team loses in the regional finals versus a season where they lose in the semi-finals of the NCAA.

The guy brought back und to greatness, turned the force into a decent franchise (yes I know they are bad this year 82), and is turning a Nebraska hockey program into a decent one. He has some awesome recruits coming in next year, are you even aware of this? That program was a laugher until he got there.

• Upvote 1

I do. Could you imagine this board had Hakstol led UND to wins over Minnesota and Yale in the regional final the past two seasons only to get smoked by BC and UMass-Lowell in the national semi-finals of the Frozen Four a week later?

SiouxSports.com would implode.

It tends to implode after a regular season loss.
  • Upvote 1

The guy brought back und to greatness, turned the force into a decent franchise (yes I know they are bad this year 82), and is turning a Nebraska hockey program into a decent one. He has some awesome recruits coming in next year, are you even aware of this? That program was a laugher until he got there.

This mythic coach is also 5-7 against Hakstol. Blais is a very good coach. He isn't the god that many of you keep trying to make him.

I watched Gino take the UND program under Rube Bjorkman and bring it to the NCAA finals in 3 of his first 4 years, winning 2 of them. He built the best team in UND history, probably one of the best in college hockey history. I'm not sold that Blais was even the best coach at UND, much less the super-human being that you seem to believe he is.

It tends to implode after a regular season loss.

Very true, the season is by no means over it was an ugly game that many teams have now and then. Again I am not on the fire hak train but he needs to pick his locker room up and get them ready for next weekend. I actually though that UNO was pretty good from an offensive perspective. Alright, nice debate guys I have a big game myself this morning..... with absolutely zero dump and chase hockey :)

This mythic coach is also 5-7 against Hakstol. Blais is a very good coach. He isn't the god that many of you keep trying to make him.

I watched Gino take the UND program under Rube Bjorkman and bring it to the NCAA finals in 3 of his first 4 years, winning 2 of them. He built the best team in UND history, probably one of the best in college hockey history. I'm not sold that Blais was even the best coach at UND, much less the super-human being that you seem to believe he is.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree at this point. I had a laugh when you compared blais's record against UND.... you do realize the difference (or perceived in your case) between the two programs don't you?

• Upvote 1

What team was that? I hope you do not say 1987.

0-10 in the tourney that actually matters. Had the best team by far in the nation and got severely out coached in the frozen four..... More than once.... It's not like he's a bad coach but maybe it is time for new blood?

Well we'll have to agree to disagree at this point. I had a laugh when you compared blais's record against UND.... you do realize the difference (or perceived in your case) between the two programs don't you?

you case

I do know the differences between the programs. But if Blais was the mythic coach that people keep suggesting he would have built it into a super-power by now.

0-10 in the tourney that actually matters. Had the best team by far in the nation and got severely out coached in the frozen four..... More than once.... It's not like he's a bad coach but maybe it is time for new blood?

As others have noted during this continuous debate, who would you suggest to replace him? Hakstol is easily one of the top 10 coaches in college hockey. The others in that category aren't leaving their schools.