SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring time for Bubba and UND

geaux_sioux

Sparks is last on depth chart and that’s his reason for leaving. Rich and Rashad got scholarship reduced and decided to leave. Palendach realized he would not play. Lyons is gone because of reduced scholarship. Winfeldt is gone due to medical reasons.

Sparks is last on depth chart and that’s his reason for leaving. Rich and Rashad got scholarship reduced and decided to leave. Palendach realized he would not play. Lyons is gone because of reduced scholarship. Winfeldt is gone due to medical reasons.

If these kids don't think they fit in, they should leave. Having kids on the roster that don't want to be there is bad for team chemistry and bad for locker room culture. We might have to get worse before we get better and I am fine with that.

Isn't there a maximum number (30) of recruits that can be brought in any year? Losing so many players at semester break and now a bunch more, aren't we going to go into the fall with many fewer bodies than usual - creating a real challenge with depth?

I will ask this question again. What are limitations (if any) regarding the number of recruits in each year? Isn't there a limit of 25 scholarship players? Is there a limit on walk-ons?

I will ask this question again. What are limitations (if any) regarding the number of recruits in each year? Isn't there a limit of 25 scholarship players? Is there a limit on walk-ons?

I think the limit is 30 per year, not including walk-ons. This is from bylaw 15.5.6.2 of the NCAA division I manual.

I think the limit is 30 per year, not including walk-ons. This is from bylaw 15.5.6.2 of the NCAA division I manual.

Correct. UND has 63 scholarships that can be split up among 85 players Going into fall camp, there is a limit of 30 new players receiving financial aid.

There shall be an annual limit of 30 on the number of initial counters (per Bylaw 15.02.3.1), an annual limit of 63 on the value of financial aid awards (equivalencies) to counters, and an annual limit of 85 on the total number of counters (including initial counters) in football at each Football Championship Subdivision institution.

I know that Palandech is.

so we are going into another season with 3 QBs with just a little more experience that last year....and an all new offense. is there much chance of juco or drop down at the QB position?

?

QB is actually about the ONLY position I am more comfortable with this year than last. There will be far less asked of them than last year. Their jobs will be simplified. I think this fact alone will significantly impact the turnover ratio, which will probably result in 1-2 more wins even if nothing else changes.

• Upvote 1

yo Sioux nation

you seem to be also connected

you want in the club?

If he's connected, why would he want to be in your club? It would seem he already has a "club" and wouldn't need to be a part of the good ol' boys network, which hasn't been producing much lately. Just sayin'.....

• Upvote 1

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/in-search-of-playing-time-gopher-dt-transfers-to-north-dakota/

Minnesota defensive tackle Jordan Hinojosa has left the program and transferred to North Dakota, an FCS program not to be confused with North Dakota State. The University of North Dakota announced the new addition Thursday.

He will have three years of eligibility remaining at North Dakota and because he is transferring to an FCS program he will be able to play immediately for North Dakota.

Nice to see him have 3 years of eligibility to not only lead the defense but help teach the youngsters that come into the program. Hard work will pay off!!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/08/in-search-of-playing-time-gopher-dt-transfers-to-north-dakota/

Nice to see him have 3 years of eligibility to not only lead the defense but help teach the youngsters that come into the program. Hard work will pay off!!

In light of the NFL draft, let it be known that the Big Sky Conference has a history of producing NFL players if you play at a high level. That means Hinojosa will have an opportunity to make it to the next level if he performs well. Something all potential FBS drop downs should consider if they're thinking about going FCS and which school to go to. The Big Sky can get it done for you.

• Upvote 1

In light of the NFL draft, let it be known that the Big Sky Conference has a history of producing NFL players if you play at a high level. That means Hinojosa will have an opportunity to make it to the next level if he performs well. Something all potential FBS drop downs should consider if they're thinking about going FCS and which school to go to. The Big Sky can get it done for you.

Yes the Big Sky has produced some NFL talent but this kid isnt good enough to play on a bad gophers team so I'm not sure how he could play at the next level.

Yes the Big Sky has produced some NFL talent but this kid isnt good enough to play on a bad gophers team so I'm not sure how he could play at the next level.

Depth chart/playing concerns, not talent, were the issue. He is only a sophomore anyways. And how was last year's University of Minnesota football team bad? They went to a bowl game and had a winning record (8-5).

Hinojosa was the no.4 ranked DT in all of Florida coming out of high school. He was recruited by Michigan State and West Virginia, among others. He has the ability.

Depth chart/playing concerns, not talent, were the issue. He is only a sophomore anyways. And how was last year's University of Minnesota football team bad? They went to a bowl game and had a winning record (8-5).

Hinojosa was the no.4 ranked DT in all of Florida coming out of high school. He was recruited by Michigan State and West Virginia, among others. He has the ability.

The Gophers improved but they still sucked. 8-5, 4-4 in a down year for the Big Ten. 50% of BCS teams go to a Bowl Game. They had 2 wins vs teams with winning records and that includes a win over a bad Western Illinois team. High school rankings are silly. Tim Brewsters teams according to the experts at rivals had a top 20 recruiting class! :rofl:

Not saying he's going to be a bad player. I'm saying to expect him to be an NFL guy is silly

The Gophers improved but they still sucked. 8-5, 4-4 in a down year for the Big Ten. 50% of BCS teams go to a Bowl Game. They had 2 wins vs teams with winning records and that includes a win over a bad Western Illinois team. High school rankings are silly. Tim Brewsters teams according to the experts at rivals had a top 20 recruiting class! :rofl:

Not saying he's going to be a bad player. I'm saying to expect him to be an NFL guy is silly

Who has a better shot at the NFL a guy who played for an FBS team with 8 wins or a guy (Greg Hardin) who played for an FCS team with 3 wins? If a guy has a kick ass year the team record doesn't matter it's exposure that makes a difference. If scouts hear about him and watch him he a good chance. It's all word of mouth.

Apparently you think a lot of things are "silly", so let's have a "serious" talk.

1) You may be able to make the argument that the 2013 University of Minnesota football team was not as good as their record indicated, or that they were an average Big Ten football team as their conference record (4-4) indicated, but they certainly did not "suck". There are different ways to categorize a team besides "suck" and "awesome". After all, they defeated Nebraska and Penn State and only lost to eventual Rose Bowl champion Michigan State by 11 in East Lansing.

2) High school rankings, such as those by Rivals and Scout, may be overrated and not an exact science, but they aren't "silly". They judge talent and ability. Many recruiting coordinators admit to semi-relying on recruiting services such as Rivals and Scout.

3) We ultimately won't know how good Hinojosa will be until we see him perform on the college stage, but he had the high school rankings and recruiting interest, along with his current frame, to at least be considered a potential FCS top performer. As we see year in and year out, if you are a top FCS performer, you will get recognized by NFL scouts and have an opportunity to play in the NFL. See WR Greg Hardin

Who has a better shot at the NFL a guy who played for an FBS team with 8 wins or a guy (Greg Hardin) who played for an FCS team with 3 wins? If a guy has a kick ass year the team record doesn't matter it's exposure that makes a difference. If scouts hear about him and watch him he a good chance. It's all word of mouth.

If you can play, scouts will find you. But I dont think anyone will argue that being a top performer on a top team (whether that's FCS or FBS) is always more fun for the fans than having a top performer on a poor team, like you alluded to with Greg Hardin and the 2013 UND football team.