SiouxSports.com Forum

Why do we love our Sioux so much?

01grad

What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?

• Went to school at UND
    • Live in North Dakota
    • Hate the gophers, thus cheering the Sioux out of rivalry
    • Enjoy seeing a small town school create national prominence
    • Like the logo, jersey and name
    • Love college hockey and just decided to cheer for a winner
    • Familiarity with a player, coach or somebody in the organization
    • The best arena in college, arguably in all hockey
    • The tradition that has been created
    • Other reason
    • I detest UND hockey

I just thought this poll would be fun to bring back now that we have so many new people on board now!

It was fun looking back at the old names of people who used to post here such as couteaurinkrat, cfm(something) along with many others. I wondered where people disappeared to over the years.

I just saw cfm(something) post a day or so ago. First time in a long time.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great line from, a great song "Never forget where you're from..."

I was born in Grand Forks, my family and I moved away, I returned and graduated from UND. As a kid I spent many Friday and Saturday nights at the Old Ralph watchin' Hrkac Circus and the boys. I love UND moveover, I LOVE FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY!!! In my heart, Grand Forks will always be my home, HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

My answer to the poll runs deeper than the choice answers provided.

I grew up in Grafton in the 70's, 80's and early 09's and went to quite a few games growing up. My mom used to pack up me and my buddies up in the wagon, drop us off at the Old Ralph and she'd go study at the law library. Later, I went to college in South Dakota, but my cousin was at UND, so I used to be able to sneak into games with his buddies. Good times.

Then I was down in Mpls for 10 years and my love for the Sioux and the dislike for the UMtc grew and grew. Now, up in Bemidji, it's an easy two hour drive to GF and we get the FSSN channel. I voted for the "small town - prominent program" just because of living in Mpls and gagging on the Gopher PR train, but could have voted for about every other choice, too.

Lets Go Sioux!!!

My choice was went to UND but there is more then that, my first hockey game other then high school was the Sioux versus Duluth and i was hooked ever since. I was in the band went to 2 frozen fours with them and the last 4 years have just been a blast to watch even though Denver and BC has ruined the weekends.

Certainly, it was Dave Tremblay who may have done better with Gino as a coach but had to endure Rube. Still see him at our class reunions and he is doing well, living in Southern Ontario. His son is a great Lacrosse player.

I remember him, although didn't know him as well as some of the other players of the Rube era. I'm sure I remember him introducing himself to some of the ladies on campus as "Mario Tremblay" (I'd guess the ladies didn't know who Mario was anyway :D )

Some tough years for the Sioux, but we didn't have any less fun at the rink.

I grew up in South Jersey listening to Flyers games on my radio as a kid, because most games were way past my bed-time...

Moved around from place to place until I setteled here in Grand Forks in 04...

My wife got a set of free Tix for a preseason game in which UND scored like 5 in the first period (One was called back)...

Season ticket holder since 06, and will never miss another game...

From Stafford to Spirko to Leeeeee to the Osh, and Johnny Toews how could you go wrong...

There is no better time in Grand Forks than "Game Weekend"...Our Sioux tickets are the best ticket in town...I could ramble for days, but Sioux Hockey has it going on...Oh ya, Taco in a bag is pretty rocking too...

Rich T

For me, i dont think there is any logical explination why. I have little... actually i really have no reason to be a Sioux fan, i SHOULD be a big fan or Rugby or Cricket or something, but my interest in local sports is miniscule. I really cant explain WHY i am such a big fan of the Sioux, i can explain how i became a sioux fan, but not WHY i am such a big sioux fan, i dont think anyone can really explain WHY, it is just something that happens and when the ball gets rolling there is no way of stopping it.

GO SIOUX!!!

I could have selected familiarity with a player as an old high school buddy went there and played for the Sioux before I arrived. So I showed up on campus already a fan however, it took attending my first game at the Old Ralph with fellow students to become a true fan.

I was friends and played youth hockey with former SIOUX defensemen, Tim O'Connell.

Growing up in Grand Forks helped, but really it's all about the Fighting Sioux name and logo. That, above and beyond all other factors, is what made me the fan that I've been for the past 30 years.

I think we all already know what really attracted you to the sport of hockey. :D

Our family had 5 of 6 kids in our family go and graduate from UND. When I was in high school and growing up on a small farm in southeastern ND, I remember Prairie Public TV showing the games at 10:30 pm on Friday and Saturday nights. I would stay up late and watch the games on an old black/white tv set with a ton of tin foil on the rabbit ears in order to see a snowy picture of the team in action.

Mark Taylor, and the 1980 team were my heros. While attending UND from 1980-85 I never missed a series and was one of those that stood outside the Winter Sports Building from 9:00 pm until 8:00 a.m. the following morning to get the free tickets .. It was for either the Badger or Gopher series. We were totally unprepared as we had just come from the Fieldhouse from an intramural basketball game. Ah those were the days! And that is why I became a Sioux fan and will remain one for life.