SiouxSports.com Forum

Why do we love our Sioux so much?

01grad

What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?

• Went to school at UND
    • Live in North Dakota
    • Hate the gophers, thus cheering the Sioux out of rivalry
    • Enjoy seeing a small town school create national prominence
    • Like the logo, jersey and name
    • Love college hockey and just decided to cheer for a winner
    • Familiarity with a player, coach or somebody in the organization
    • The best arena in college, arguably in all hockey
    • The tradition that has been created
    • Other reason
    • I detest UND hockey

I just thought this would be an interesting poll to see why we or at least I have become so obssesed with this team. I actually originally went to school up at UND after they won the championship in '97 mainly because I wanted to go to a school with a D1 sport that wasn't too big and hockey is exciting to watch, no I am hooked. It is fun going to games such as this last weekend and visiting with other fellow fans. The first thing they usually ask is did you go to school there? I know that many people haven't and like the Sioux for other reasons, which is why I started this poll. I am a teacher at a high school and my school pride has caught on, but many students just wear the colors because they think the logo is neat. Some actually have decided to go up there to school, I feel like a recruiter at times.

Also, I noticed that the gophers moved down in the INCH poll, how did that happen? I would have thought they would have moved up after beating #1 and losing by such a small margin. The stupid east teams are always getting more recognition for their efforts. Oh well, polls don't mean much anyways.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is tough to pick just one. I had to go with "I went to UND" because of all the great times I had at UND and the great people I met in Grand Forks. I try to get back to Grand Forks as often as possible for a game/visit. By the way even though I am from Minneapolis, I have been a Sioux fan for many years before my college days. At a young age (about 8) I found out there was a school that excelled in my two favorite things, Hockey and Aviation, it was an easy pick where I wanted to go to college.

Oh yeah, the logo ROCKS as well. I think 25% of my wardrobe has the Sioux logo on it!!! :silly:;)

It's an interesting question. While I suspect almost all of us have lived in Grand Forks or attended UND, that could just be the cause of exposure, while there are other reasons we're fans.

For example, I attended UND, but I also attended UMN. I cheer mildly for the Gophers in Big Ten sports, but certainly not in hockey. I chose that I like seeing a small school make it big as the difference in why I cheer for UND, since my interest predates new logo/new arena, and actually started near the end of the worst stretch of Sioux mediocrity in history.

There are many. I'm from ND, go to UND, love college hockey, love the logo, love the arena (both old and new), acquainted with a few players (though only one on the current team ;) ).

My sister goes to UMN so I don't dislike the school itself. I am not sure I even dislike the team. I guess what it comes down to is that I dislike some of the chants, some of the fans, and some of the players (TAYLOR :silly: ). Oh, I root against them, but I really don't care when the Gophers aren't playing the Sioux. Right now I'll watch the Gophers over the Wild any day.

There are many. I'm from ND, go to UND, love college hockey, love the logo, love the arena (both old and new), acquainted with a few players (though only one on the current team ;) ).

My sister goes to UMN so I don't dislike the school itself. I am not sure I even dislike the team. I guess what it comes down to is that I dislike some of the chants, some of the fans, and some of the players (TAYLOR :silly: ). Oh, I root against them, but I really don't care when the Gophers aren't playing the Sioux. Right now I'll watch the Gophers over the Wild any day.

Who are the Wild? :lol::lol:

It is tough to pick just one. I had to go with "I went to UND" because of all the great times I had at UND and the great people I met in Grand Forks. I try to get back to Grand Forks as often as possible for a game/visit. By the way even though I am from Minneapolis, I have been a Sioux fan for many years before my college days. At a young age (about 8) I found out there was a school that excelled in my two favorite things, Hockey and Aviation, it was an easy pick where I wanted to go to college.

Oh yeah, the logo ROCKS as well. I think 25% of my wardrobe has the Sioux logo on it!!! :silly:;)

Not only is UND home to (arguably) one of the best D1 hockey programs in the country, it is home to the TOP aviation school in the world - hands down.

I voted Live in ND, though currently I do not live in ND, but Grand Forks is home. I could have voted for 1) Small town school succeeding because it is nice to see North Dakota beat big schools like Michigan, Minnesota, and Boston College and other big school like Ivy League schools. One thing I like to think of is when we play these schools from the East where the fan base might not be familiar with our program and we go out and annihilate thier team! It is good to see North Dakota getting some positive recognition! 2) Like the logo, jersey and name: this is not what brought me in as a fan, but I have native american heritage and I take it as a compliment and a tribute to Native American culture. 3) Love college hockey and just decided to cheer for a winner It love hockey plain and simple! I do not cheer for North Dakota because they are winners, I cheer for them because of my love of hockey and this has transfered to all things related to UND! 4) The best arena in college, arguably in all hockey: I would be going to games regardless of where we played, but it is nice having the new REA! 5) The tradition that has been created: North Dakota has a winning tradition in a lot of sports now, I like cheering for a school that is competitive in many sports not just one. I detest schools like North Carolina that are only good in one sport. I like schools that are competitive in all sports, schools like Texas (and Michigan, but I still hate Michigan).

Hockey rules and so does North Dakota Hockey!!!

I was talking with my father on the phone last night and he told me I take this stuff way too serious, probably. After explaining my sentaments to the game this past Saturday night, my father said I should be happy with my favorite team taking three out of four games with the Gophers.

I cheer/love UND because I have two degrees from UND and that I believe it is one of the best college hockey programs in the country. I will cheer only for UND, I can't flip flog, so you won't catch me pulling for any other teams from our league if the Sioux are out of the final game. Green and white to the core.

I grew up in a very small town in ND, so I never payed attention to hockey because it wasn't offered at our school. My freshman year at UND a buddy of mine took me to a few hockey games and it was cool, but when he took me to my first Gopher-Sioux game, I was hooked. I could have voted for many of them. The tradition, the fact that ND never gets any positive national recognition, I went to school there and oh yeah.......I detest the ground rodents :silly:

I love Sioux hockey because I grew up near Grand Forks and my dad (a UND alum) brought me to numerous UND hockey games from when I was 4 until I graduated from high school and left for college. He's a season ticket holder now and I get back for as many games in the REA as I can each year (usually about 4), go to the final five tournament every year, and try to see the Sioux in a new road arena each year (I started this in college and I'm getting down to the wire where I'm going to have to truck up to UAA). :glare:

So, though I never attended UND and have lived in MN for over 10 years, I guess I'm such a fanatic because Sioux hockey is inextricably linked in my mind to my relationship with my dad. And I love the sport as a whole.

When I came to UND in 1995, I hated hockey. I thought hockey was a sport where guys on skates come out and beat each other with sticks.

I proceeded to skip EVERY game until the very end of the season where we had some sort of tourney... did we have the final five in GF in 1996? Anyways, we lost 3-2. I don't remember who was playing us, but they scored first and scored last. I believe it was Kavalavog (sp?) in net for us though I can't remember.

Yeah, we lost. But I started thinking, it was fun. Unfortunately it was the last live Sioux game I'd see until 1998 (although I did watch the TV broadcasts whenever I could). I moved to Thief River Falls for 2 years to get my A&P. Anyways, 1998 came around and I just loved it! Joined the band, but I found that I was not very good at that so I quit and then I started really enjoying Sioux hockey.

I liked sports alright in high school, but I had the mindset that I would rather play them than watch them. My freshman year at UND in 2000, I went to the season opener and was hooked ever since. I couldn't believe how crazy everone was (mainly the students) over a hockey game. After that I wrote a 10-page English paper on hockey so that I could learn the rules and follow the game better.

So I picked "I went to UND."

I grew up in Minnesota, I live in Minnesota, I go to college in Minnesota (not a Gopher), and I like all Minnesota sports teams, EXCEPT THE GOPHER HOCKEY TEAM! I will never root for Duluth or CC or any other team in the WCHA. I am a diehard Sioux fan.

People ask me why I like Sioux hockey when I live in Minnesota. Because I live 20 minutes from the best hockey team in the country and because the Gopher hockey team is cocky, cheap, and their punks. Oh yeah and the Sioux have 7 championships and the Gophers have a measly 5!

Not only is UND home to (arguably) one of the best D1 hockey programs in the country, it is home to the TOP aviation school in the world - hands down.

Agreed. When I was a kid I always said I would go to a WCHA school...UND happened to have the best aviation program (arguably...ERAU may have something to say about it, but they're a bunch a hacks :glare: ) and a top hockey program...I was in heaven (where it's -35 and my car won't start...and there's really not a whole lot to do). If I didn't go here I'd still be a (shudder) die hard Gopher fan.

I think I could have voted for most of them. I've grown up in North Dakota, my parents went to UND, they're the best team, love the logo, I love the little town - big traditon, and I need SOMETHING to argue with my Minnesota relatives with. I don't go to UND (yet) but, I WILL go. Even though I had a tough time picking (which to vote for) I had to pick "tradition that has been created." Because my first hockey games was when I was about 9 years old and I've been a die-hard fan since then because of the tradition behind it.

I liked sports alright in high school, but I had the mindset that I would rather play them than watch them. My freshman year at UND in 2000, I went to the season opener and was hooked ever since. I couldn't believe how crazy everone was (mainly the students) over a hockey game. After that I wrote a 10-page English paper on hockey so that I could learn the rules and follow the game better.

So I picked "I went to UND."

You seemed to have made the right decision. :glare: