SiouxSports.com Forum

Why do we love our Sioux so much?

01grad

What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single most reason that makes you follow UND hockey so closely?

• Went to school at UND
    • Live in North Dakota
    • Hate the gophers, thus cheering the Sioux out of rivalry
    • Enjoy seeing a small town school create national prominence
    • Like the logo, jersey and name
    • Love college hockey and just decided to cheer for a winner
    • Familiarity with a player, coach or somebody in the organization
    • The best arena in college, arguably in all hockey
    • The tradition that has been created
    • Other reason
    • I detest UND hockey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Time to check our reasons again why we love our team so much since we have many new members now. Just thought I would bring this out becuase this is a great way to find out why we enjoy watching this green black and white team play not matter what they are wearing!

I was just transformed by watching the game when I was a student and ever since the Gopher/Sioux game on Valentines day in 1998 I think it was at the old arena, it just grew on me and I love seeing that small town bring so much to a state.

P.S. We should also add to the poll now a choice that we would love to see them win just to stick it to the NCAA!!!

Glad you brought this back up. I recently joined and missed it the first time around.

I put down "The tradition that has been created", but in all honesty it's the tradition my dad created for me. He was going to games back in the 50's and kept going regularly through the 80's. Every game he took me to was a fantastic event. Every game I go to (and watch on TV) brings back the old excitement that I felt when I was a kid.

Now I've got 4 season tickets so my wife & I can bring our daughters to the games, hoping to pass on the tradition. They're pretty passionate about it. My six year old likes to give her friends a hard time if they cheer for the "goofers". My nine year old's teacher is a Gopher fan so she insisted on wearing her jersey to school after the West Regional final. :silly:

I was a casual SIOUX fan up until I got season tickets when the new RALPH was built.Now I bleed green.By far my favorite sports team college or pro.#8 is coming back to the great state of NoDak baby.

I came to a game in 1992 when the Sioux played Northern Michigan, was hooked. Came to UND to go to school in the fall of 1993 when the Old REA was playing to less than full crowds and you could hear a pin drop. Love hockey especially the NHL and the Fighting Sioux hockey is the only thing that I think beats it, or trumps an NHL game at my house. This time of year is awesome. The NHL playoffs and NCAA playoffs. Spring is all about the hockey. Hardly missed a game in 14 years.

I had to vote "Other Reason."

Born in Jamestown, I only lived there for 5 years. Moved eventually to Michigan where I have lived since. My family (great grandparents, grandparents, uncles, etc.) settled and lived in the Dakotas. I have always felt a sense of pride having been born there and have always respected those that live in the Dakotas as being tough, resilient, and independent. I have always respected that spirit in my ancestors.

I've always liked hockey and when my kids started playing at a young age, I got that much more involved and hooked on the sport. It was always a given to me that there was no other team than North Dakota to root and cheer for. To me, it represents what I think being from the Dakotas represents.

When I wear my Sioux jersey, it states that I'm a proud fan of the Fighting Sioux, that I can say that I'm from North Dakota, and it is the best state and college hockey team there is bar none.

Go Sioux!!

Time to check our reasons again why we love our team so much since we have many new members now. Just thought I would bring this out becuase this is a great way to find out why we enjoy watching this green black and white team play not matter what they are wearing!

I was just transformed by watching the game when I was a student and ever since the Gopher/Sioux game on Valentines day in 1998 I think it was at the old arena, it just grew on me and I love seeing that small town bring so much to a state.

P.S. We should also add to the poll now a choice that we would love to see them win just to stick it to the NCAA!!!

I think that UND winning the NCAA title with their jersey's on would be a nice thumb in the eye of the NCAA.

What a great poll ... I gotta say it was very difficult to even follow the Sioux when I lived in the Twin Cities, back in the pre-webcast days, and you could never find box scores for any team but the goof's... but that certainly solidified my distain for the golden rodent ...

Ironically, I've gone to school at UND, NDSU and UMinn ... UND was by far the best of times I had in college ...

so it's UND #1, Bison #2 ... and the goofers just plain suck!

I think that UND winning the NCAA title with their jersey's on would be a nice thumb in the eye of the NCAA.

BRAVO GOON! Let's win one for the cash cow ............ NC$$ !

BTW I had heard once many many years ago that UND doesn't get any of the shared revenue from the national tournament from the NCAA being we

are not D-I in all sports is that true or has it ever been true?

BRAVO GOON! Let's win one for the cash cow ............ NC$$ !

BTW I had heard once many many years ago that UND doesn't get any of the shared revenue from the national tournament from the NCAA being we

are not D-I in all sports is that true or has it ever been true?

TO EVERYONE ON THIS SUBJECT MATTER HERE WHY WE LOVE OUR SIOUX SO MUCH I AGREE WITH YA'LL 100% ALSO IT WASN'T THAT LONG AGO (TRY LIKE 34 YEARS AGO) THAT I GOT TURN ON TO HOCKEY IN THE FIRST PLACE. IT WAS UND HOCKEY THAT GOT ME WATCHING & LEARNING THE GAME AS WE SPEAK. FOR THAT I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN THAT LIKE MY FATHER ONCE SAID ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM (HUMBLE BEGININGS). SO IN CLOSING I JUST WANT TO SAY "GO SIOUX CHOMP ON THOSE B.C. EAGLES. FROM THE GATORNATION I'M OUT. P.S. THIS JUST HIT ME JUST THINK IF THE SIOUX WIN THE FROZEN FOUR CAN YOU IMAGINE THE NCAA & THE LOOK ON THEIR FACE IT BEING RED OF COURSE.

2006 BCS NATIONAL CHAMPS D-1 FOOTBALL

2006-2007 NATIONAL CHAMPS D-1 MENS BASKETBALL

FLORIDA GATORS HEY IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLORIDA GATOR.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

My parents moved to EGF when I was Junior in high school. Never saw hockey before that and got hooked on HS hockey. Left EGF after high school and joined the Navy and met husband there (he was from Southern California and couldn't even spell hockey). We got out of Navy and moved up to EGF and went to UND. We were poor college students and hockey was free and my parents watched the kids... First year at UND was 79-80 season.... How could you not get hooked with that... Hockey was so popular that you had to get tickets (they were free) to get into games. I was a member of UND Veterans Club and we were designated as the people to hand out tickets. Always made sure I had mine and those for friends.... Never missed a game! Got to see two national championships! After stints across the country, we moved to the twin cities area and when REA opened were able to purchase season tickets... It's been awesome! Only game we missed since REA opened was the first WCHA playoffs this year. Husband fell and broke his tibia in half the Thursday before games... We were both upset we were missing the games, but they had to operate! Two of our three kids cheer for UND and one grandkid... You got to start them young! Son-in-law is diehard gopher fan, but we behave cordially during hockey season... What can you say! We will be Sioux fans forever....

• 1 year later...

I just thought this poll would be fun to bring back now that we have so many new people on board now!

It was fun looking back at the old names of people who used to post here such as couteaurinkrat, cfm(something) along with many others. I wondered where people disappeared to over the years.