SiouxSports.com Forum

Weber State (5-6, 2-1) @ UND (5-8, 2-1)

SWSiouxMN

We looked good when we moved the ball. Struggled when we got a little selfish. Missed some good looks at the rim in transition. Left about 10 points off the board by missing some bunnies.

Defense looked better today. They had 9 points off of 3 point heaves as the shot clock expired.

Overall impressions- need to work on the selfish play. Have to move the ball next time we play Weber or we'll get beat again.

Why is there always a guy wide open from three? Pathetic.

because unlike us other teams penetrate and pass to wide open shooters. We also don't toss inside and kick. That's how teams play basketball but certain players on und don't understand this and obviously the coaches don't coach this. We would have just as many wide open shots as weber if we passed. No zone today so our players figured they didn't have to pass.

Huff is obviously a very good scorer but I would not be disappointed if we just sat him a game or did something. He's getting back to his freshman and sophomore ways of doing that half spin move that absolutely no one falls for or he attempts to drive and just throw it up around the rim. He gives away too many possessions for my liking. I also noticed when he was on the bench we had a nice little run and everybody on the bench was up clapping and cheering and he was sitting there but he was at least clapping. He just needs some sort of wake up call. Also, wants wrong with Anderson? Very hesitant shooting and just doesn't seem to have the confidence he has had in the past. Why in the world did we not play Stefan more!? He had a really solid game Thursday night and I think he could be a real key for this team coming off the bench. Let's rotate the bigs instead of throwing Benton in there when he does not provide much. He hustles but still. I would also like to see Antwi get more minutes. I just am not agreeing with much that this staff has done although I would say defense has improved significantly throughout the season.

Schuler was the best on the floor. First half run was because of him.

Seems to be same old same old in teams outshooting us from the outside. We only took handful of shots from the outside, though. And Weber just couldn't miss even with hand in face from three.

One of the weirdest things I saw coincides with our pathetic defensive rebounding. There were a few times when shots went up and our posts never turned around to box out! Easy offensive boards were then given up. Obviously this team doesn't communicate.

Schuler was the best on the floor. First half run was because of him.

Seems to be same old same old in teams outshooting us from the outside. We only took handful of shots from the outside, though. And Weber just couldn't miss even with hand in face from three.

One of the weirdest things I saw coincides with our pathetic defensive rebounding. There were a few times when shots went up and our posts never turned around to box out! Easy offensive boards were then given up. Obviously this team doesn't communicate.

Agree on Schuler, 9 points on only 4 shots and he never played the final 6-7 minutes. Never got him the ball when he was wide open for a three, in fact never got a pass to our shooters when they were wide open. Only people shooting threes are the ones that should not be shooting three's ( Benton for one). Heard Anderson has been pounting due to not starting and if you also watch him on the bench he is not cheering for his team. This team does not box out as you mentioned, they run under the rim and have no chance of getting a missed shot. Only made shots go thru the whole where they are standing. Weber was boxing our guys off the court when they boxed and coaches and players should watch that portion of the film. This team continues to play like this and they will be watching the conference tournament.

Why Nash was in the game the final 10 minutes of the game I will never know. Can't make a shot. Would drive to the lane and throw up a circus shot and not even draw contact. When he would draw contact, more often then not, he would miss the free throw. Why are Salmonson and Calcarerra even on the team if Jones is not gonna play them. Sure Nash is more athletic, but he was absolutely worthless in the Weber game and Jones needs to recognize that.

Schuler is our best shooter and he is sitting on the bench the last 5-6 minutes if the game. seriously?!!! We needed 3's and he is our best three point shooter. I guess Jones thought Nash should be taking those!!

This play of this team has really disappointed me. There is no team game. All they do is pass around the perimeter and then eventually a guy will drive the lane while everyone else just stands around. Not trying to get open or in position for a rebound...just retreating back to play d!! Much of this team has played together for 5 years now. You would think they would show some chemistry and play more team ball. Not sure if that is their fault or coaching. How many outside jump shots not scored in the paint did UND have? Couldn't have been more than 5. The fact that we have Nash and huff drive the lane and draw 2-3 defenders and they can't get it to the open guy for a wide open look I'd rediculous.

This team better figure out how to play team basketball, or they will not only be watching the Big Dance from their couches, but the Big Sky Tournament as we'll!!

• Upvote 2

Why Nash was in the game the final 10 minutes of the game I will never know. Can't make a shot. Would drive to the lane and throw up a circus shot and not even draw contact. When he would draw contact, more often then not, he would miss the free throw. Why are Salmonson and Calcarerra even on the team if Jones is not gonna play them. Sure Nash is more athletic, but he was absolutely worthless in the Weber game and Jones needs to recognize that.

Schuler is our best shooter and he is sitting on the bench the last 5-6 minutes if the game. seriously?!!! We needed 3's and he is our best three point shooter. I guess Jones thought Nash should be taking those!!

This play of this team has really disappointed me. There is no team game. All they do is pass around the perimeter and then eventually a guy will drive the lane while everyone else just stands around. Not trying to get open or in position for a rebound...just retreating back to play d!! Much of this team has played together for 5 years now. You would think they would show some chemistry and play more team ball. Not sure if that is their fault or coaching. How many outside jump shots not scored in the paint did UND have? Couldn't have been more than 5. The fact that we have Nash and huff drive the lane and draw 2-3 defenders and they can't get it to the open guy for a wide open look I'd rediculous.

This team better figure out how to play team basketball, or they will not only be watching the Big Dance from their couches, but the Big Sky Tournament as we'll!!

Spot on.

Agree 100% spot on. Watch the few minutes of highlights and freeze the frame when Huff and others drive and see how many guys are on them and how many guys are wide open on the wings, its unbelievable in just those few of highlights. Every team is collapsing on all our drive with multiple players cause they know we will not pass it out.

Agree on Schuler, 9 points on only 4 shots and he never played the final 6-7 minutes. Never got him the ball when he was wide open for a three, in fact never got a pass to our shooters when they were wide open. Only people shooting threes are the ones that should not be shooting three's ( Benton for one). Heard Anderson has been pounting due to not starting and if you also watch him on the bench he is not cheering for his team. This team does not box out as you mentioned, they run under the rim and have no chance of getting a missed shot. Only made shots go thru the whole where they are standing. Weber was boxing our guys off the court when they boxed and coaches and players should watch that portion of the film. This team continues to play like this and they will be watching the conference tournament.

Anderson seems to have host confidence because his playing time has gone down. Is the coaching staffs decision to not redshirt Hooker paying off? I would say 'no' as there is too much wasted talent sitting on bench with Anderson, Schuler, Webb, and Stefan. Anderson proved it last year and gets just a slap in the face. The chemistry is way off and the coaches are what screwed it up.

Anderson seems to have host confidence because his playing time has gone down. Is the coaching staffs decision to not redshirt Hooker paying off? I would say 'no' as there is too much wasted talent sitting on bench with Anderson, Schuler, Webb, and Stefan. Anderson proved it last year and gets just a slap in the face. The chemistry is way off and the coaches are what screwed it up.

Based on what I have heard and what Jones has said in his interviews he wants players on the floor that are willing to play defense. It has showed much improvement in the last several games as guys are flying around the court and switching men on defense. Possibly Anderson is not showing this in practice as Benton, Stefen and Schuler play very good and sound defense and plus with all the teams playing zone it cuts down Anderson's ability to drive and that was his strongest asset. I still hear the second team gives and beats the first team more often than not in practice cause the second team plays defense and they play as a team versus the first team primarily does neither. I don't think this team has ever had chemistry due to all the selfish play the past 4 years and its finally catching up to them.

Based on what I have heard and what Jones has said in his interviews he wants players on the floor that are willing to play defense. It has showed much improvement in the last several games as guys are flying around the court and switching men on defense. Possibly Anderson is not showing this in practice as Benton, Stefen and Schuler play very good and sound defense and plus with all the teams playing zone it cuts down Anderson's ability to drive and that was his strongest asset. I still hear the second team gives and beats the first team more often than not in practice cause the second team plays defense and they play as a team versus the first team primarily does neither. I don't think this team has ever had chemistry due to all the selfish play the past 4 years and its finally catching up to them.

I believe you are correct with Anderson. The zone has basically cut out his ability to drive to the hoop and score and Schuler is much better on defense. Anderson I still believe played 27 minutes against Weber so his minutes are not that far down.

I think coach Jones made the right move with putting Shuler in at the 2 spot.

I agree with Sioux Volley more. These coaches are to blame more than the players. We are putting a lot of blame on the players, but it is the coaches who are setting these guards up for failure. Not only that but, they are playing too many guys, which then the other guys aren't getting a rhythm going; Stefan is a perfect example of this. Hooker's minutes need to decrease and Benton's minutes need to decrease.

Again these coaches are the issue. Aarons confidence is way down because of the coaches. He was a key guy last year and this year you act like you don't need the guy. I would be pissed if I was Aaron.

Why can't our offense run a play that doesn't consist of a player driving to the basket and throwing up a low percentage shot or drawing a foul? Are these the types if plays the coaches draw up during timeouts? Are these the type of plays they work on in practice? Why can't a one other than Schuler make a shot outside the paint? Why does Jones not play Calcaterra or Salmonson? Where is the chemistry on this team? We have been hyping this year for 5 years that this is going to be the year UND makes the Tournament. These questions need to answered if this team wants to accomplish their ultimate goal. And soon!!!

I think Weber has been having some of the same issues with player selfishness as you guys have experienced. Luckily we have had a few games where we have improved the ball movement and gotten on track. I particularly watched to see how the other players reacted when Huff drove to the basket. Most of the time they stood there knowing the ball wasn't coming back out of the paint. It is pretty easy to defend a team when you can collapse four guys down low and have no worries about the open 3. Huff is the most talented player offensively in our conference, but the team would win if he also made the guys around him better.

I sit fairly close to the opposing bench at Weber, so I studied Brian Jones style when he visited last year. I felt like very few adjustments were made offensively and they primarily ran high screen and isolation plays even though it was completely snuffed out. In your games I've watched this year, I see that not much has changed. Lots of guys just go to the basket with their head down the whole way. The sequence where Huff went off with some spectacular plays against ISU was amazing. But if you look at the second play in the sequence where he made the circus shot, he had an open guy cutting in from the wing that would have had a much easier shot than his. I think the me first mentality is plaguing both of our teams. I don't know if Jones has lost them team or just doesn't have the balls to bench the guys that can't play in the team concept.

I like the addition you bring to our conference. Hopefully your guys can figure it out. You deserve better from 7 seniors with that much talent. Thank you for letting me add my .02 to your forum.

• Upvote 1

I think Weber has been having some of the same issues with player selfishness as you guys have experienced. Luckily we have had a few games where we have improved the ball movement and gotten on track. I particularly watched to see how the other players reacted when Huff drove to the basket. Most of the time they stood there knowing the ball wasn't coming back out of the paint. It is pretty easy to defend a team when you can collapse four guys down low and have no worries about the open 3. Huff is the most talented player offensively in our conference, but the team would win if he also made the guys around him better.

I sit fairly close to the opposing bench at Weber, so I studied Brian Jones style when he visited last year. I felt like very few adjustments were made offensively and they primarily ran high screen and isolation plays even though it was completely snuffed out. In your games I've watched this year, I see that not much has changed. Lots of guys just go to the basket with their head down the whole way. The sequence where Huff went off with some spectacular plays against ISU was amazing. But if you look at the second play in the sequence where he made the circus shot, he had an open guy cutting in from the wing that would have had a much easier shot than his. I think the me first mentality is plaguing both of our teams. I don't know if Jones has lost them team or just doesn't have the balls to bench the guys that can't play in the team concept.

I like the addition you bring to our conference. Hopefully your guys can figure it out. You deserve better from 7 seniors with that much talent. Thank you for letting me add my .02 to your forum.

Welcome to the board, I agree with your observations!

It's amazing that after watching us play just a couple of times you can hit the nail right on the head and yet our coaches after almost 4 years and 100+ games still cannot see this. Of all of our coaches that sit and watch our game films I can't imagine one of the coaches are not saying something to Jones about every team collapsing on us without any passes going out to the shooters for wide open shots unless they are afraid to say something. At this point I would think about not zoning us and just let our selfish players drive and collapse all 5 guys down low because they know a pass will not be made and force bad shot after bad shot. Thanks for joining our forum and your insight on us.