SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

I think they'll be cornerstones for our next TWO Olympic teams (2018 and 2022). The experience, character and leadership they will provide for the younger kids will more than compensate for their advanced age.

Doubt it. They are in the same boat as most college kids when they get a year or 2 out of college....Sooner or later you want/have to get paid as the Obama plan ain't for everyone.

http://olympictalk.n...s-out-a-winner/

link is to article about argueably the best women's hockey player in the World and inarguably the best womens goaltender in the world and the lack of opportunity to make money playing hockey and unless the NHL is going to prop up a womens league like the NBA does it probably won't happen anytime soon....no chance a women's pro league has a shot to make enough money for players to make a living.

Doubt it. They are in the same boat as most college kids when they get a year or 2 out of college....Sooner or later you want/have to get paid as the Obama plan ain't for everyone.

http://olympictalk.n...s-out-a-winner/

link is to article about argueably the best women's hockey player in the World and inarguably the best womens goaltender in the world and the lack of opportunity to make money playing hockey and unless the NHL is going to prop up a womens league like the NBA does it probably won't happen anytime soon....no chance a women's pro league has a shot to make enough money for players to make a living.

Gary Bettman just got asked if the NHL will start a WNHL league, Bettman said no.

Al Michaels after the woman's Bonze medal game also asked him if the NHL players will be back in 2018.

The NHL player question is legitimate...a women's league? Only if the NHL is willing to prop up each team's financial losses, which would be in the millions of dollars.

I know a certain former Maine goalie, known to pluck players from college, that will likely be one GM against using NHL players in the future at the Olympics.

So who do you use then? The best amateur players in the world? So you basically have teams of college all stars. A better question, can you really call guys in Major Juniors amateurs since they are making money?

I don't know. I think that the NHL should be thrilled with the publicity that hockey gets during the Olympics because a lot people who don't know the difference between a clothes line and a blue line (© Al), are glued to their TVs watching the U.S. play. Then again, having to shut down operations for a few weeks in a league that struggles financially does raise concerns. I went to the Islander's facebook page and a lot of their fans are jumping ship on the season because of what happened to Tavares. Ticket sales will decline for them I guess....poor Garth....couldn't happen to a better guy.

I know a certain former Maine goalie, known to pluck players from college, that will likely be one GM against using NHL players in the future at the Olympics.

So who do you use then? The best amateur players in the world? So you basically have teams of college all stars. A better question, can you really call guys in Major Juniors amateurs since they are making money?

I don't know. I think that the NHL should be thrilled with the publicity that hockey gets during the Olympics because a lot people who don't know the difference between a clothes line and a blue line (© Al), are glued to their TVs watching the U.S. play. Then again, having to shut down operations for a few weeks in a league that struggles financially does raise concerns. I went to the Islander's facebook page and a lot of their fans are jumping ship on the season because of what happened to Tavares. Ticket sales will decline for them I guess....poor Garth....couldn't happen to a better guy.

It wouldn't have to be amateurs, just anybody who isn't in the NHL. The amateur rule was an IOC rule. As soon as they started allowing professionals, things changed. This wouldn't be a change back to "no professionals", just that the NHL wouldn't allow their players to go.

I would hope the NHLPA would fight against the change. The players love being there. Hopefully they love it enough to really fight for it.

If the twin's line plays as little as it did vs. Canada in pool play don't expect a different result. This game is be physical and gritty and if those 2 play limited minutes the USA doesn't have other players to match up with Canada physically. IMO this game will be won or lost by the ice time the twins get...the more the better.

I saw some internet/twitter chatter about the idea of going to U23 rosters for the Olympics. Whether or not that included U23 players in the NHL was not mentioned.

It wouldn't have to be amateurs, just anybody who isn't in the NHL. The amateur rule was an IOC rule. As soon as they started allowing professionals, things changed. This wouldn't be a change back to "no professionals", just that the NHL wouldn't allow their players to go.

I would hope the NHLPA would fight against the change. The players love being there. Hopefully they love it enough to really fight for it.

As much as I love seeing the best athletes in their profession play in the Olympics, there is something to watching the unheralded athlete come from nowhere to the spotlight...

One of my favorite non-1980 Olympic stories to this day...I can still see the French fans standing and chanting "Rey Le-blanc...Rey Leblanc...Rey Le-blanc..." during his incredible performance in net at the 1992 games in Méribel, France. Give me chills.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1201781/index.htm

Those moments just don't happen anymore.