SiouxSports.com Forum

BNSF Train Derailment/Explosion near Casselton

Hayduke

Maybe that's why a majority of oil transported on land is via Pipeline...It would be nice to think once that people would use common sense instead of political wrangling to do what is right for Americans and ND in particular.

If this is about the Keystone, that wasn't going to take much, if any, ND Bakken oil anyway. Plenty of other pipelines are going in with little to no fanfare. Also, like trains, pipelines are far from fail-proof.

If this is about the Keystone, that wasn't going to take much, if any, ND Bakken oil anyway. Plenty of other pipelines are going in with little to no fanfare. Also, like trains, pipelines are far from fail-proof.

And it goes through a major source of ground water in the U.S.

Maybe that's why a majority of oil transported on land is via Pipeline...It would be nice to think once that people would use common sense instead of political wrangling to do what is right for Americans and ND in particular.

If you are referring to the Keystone Pipeline it will do nothing for Americans. Canadian oil transported to the gulf to be turned into diesel and shipped right out to China and India. Don't even start on the jobs aspect since that FauxNews talking point has been debunked time and time again.
  • Upvote 1

Settle down Smokey. Warren Buffet owns BNSF and makes way more money shipping oil than the "evil" Koch brothers ever will building pipelines. Buffet happens to be a big buddy of you know who. Ever think that might have anything to do with no Keystone? Running oil above ground on metal rails at 60 mph in -20 temps is far safer than pipelines,right?

• Upvote 2

Negotiations at one point and time were set to take nearly 100,000 barrels/day of Bakken crude, which is nearly 10% of the nearly million barrels/day produced. Currently western ND sends out 10 trains/day to carry oil, which is fairly significant. A lot of those cars probably shouldn't be holding hazardous material, but it's going to be a significant investment (billions and billions to fix them). New pipelines are significantly safer than trains or old pipelines. They can be remotely and intelligently analyzed for pressure drops and pipe density to monitor any corrosion or leaks. In my opinion, talking about new pipelines and older pipelines is apples to oranges, and they are significantly safer than trains (I believe it's 3 significant Bakken oil carrying train crashes/derailments in the last 6 months).

Build the Sandpiper.

• Upvote 1

Settle down Smokey. Warren Buffet owns BNSF and makes way more money shipping oil than the "evil" Koch brothers ever will building pipelines. Buffet happens to be a big buddy of you know who. Ever think that might have anything to do with no Keystone? Running oil above ground on metal rails at 60 mph in -20 temps is far safer than pipelines,right?

Actually Buffets company is a publically traded company. Less problems with trains than pipelines leaking and exploding.

Actually Buffets company is a publically traded company. Less problems with trains than pipelines leaking and exploding.

Of which he is the majority shaeholder. Cite me the last incident of an oil pipeline (not gas) exploding. A railcar holds 600 barrels of oil (25,200 gallons). There are least 10 of them leaking, burning at Casselton. If the Keystone carried 100,000 barrels of Bakken crude a day,that would be 166 fewer rail cars on Mr. Buffets railroad.

Of which he is the majority shaeholder. Cite me the last incident of an oil pipeline (not gas) exploding.

There was no explosion, but it's just as significant.

http://www.huffingto..._n_4079323.html

A railcar holds 600 barrels of oil (25,200 gallons). There are least 10 of them leaking, burning at Casselton. If the Keystone carried 100,000 barrels of Bakken crude a day, that would be 166 fewer rail cars on Mr. Buffets railroad.

The 100,000 number is not even close to what it would actually be and has only been stated by a couple politicians (not pipeline execs). The Keystone XL may very well be a good project for some people (Canada and big oil), but it would raise energy prices in the Midwest and would not carry a fraction of the ND Bakken oil Fox News would like you to believe. Instead, it will carry some Saskatchewan Bakken crude. Now, do I think the gov't should block the construction of the Keystone XL? No, I typically believe in free-markets, even when it's not in everybody's best interest. I also believe Walmart is awful, but it doesn't mean I believe the gov't should keep them from opening a new store.